3 Years Later: Mass Effect 3 Ending Revisited [spoilers!]

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
Auron225 said:
I get what you're saying. At the same time though; Destroy means the death of all synthetics, but Refusal means the death of everything.
Good post, just to touch on this point though. The last part is an uncertainty that we only know because the game tells us that's what happens. It is not a certainty in the game, and Shepard even says as much while also saying that if they die, they die having done everything in their power to stop them.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Arkliem said:
Auron225 said:
I get what you're saying. At the same time though; Destroy means the death of all synthetics, but Refusal means the death of everything.
Good post, just to touch on this point though. The last part is an uncertainty that we only know because the game tells us that's what happens. It is not a certainty in the game, and Shepard even says as much while also saying that if they die, they die having done everything in their power to stop them.
No we know refusal ends in entire destruction. As the ending is changed to a new alien race opening up liaras time capsules in a new harvesting cycle.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Roboshi said:
There is also the issue that some people (NOTE; Not ALL, SOME) have mostly been complaining because they couldn't get a super happy ending, either you died (control/merge) , or you wiped out one of the most interesting race in the lore AND another crew member (destroy)
But why would that be a bad thing? The entire point of the first two games boils down to 'this time it's different', with even the third game stating the Reapers haven't faced a unified Galaxy like this before. There's more than enough groundwork in the series to facilitate a victory over the Reapers. That's assuming the game had to be the Reaper invasion, which is a massive issue in that you have an infantry combat game mechanic in a story about a space war (the addition of the Reaper-husk Ground forces felt very tacked on to me). My personal favourite 'alternate ME3' avoids this issue, an Indoctrinated and Reaper-enhanced Batarian Hegemony invading Citadel Space to facilitate the Reaper incursion. Shepard and crew have to both stall out the war, unifying the Citadel races and all that jazz, while at the same time building on the Reaper IFF plot point from ME2. Knowing that Reapers have unique energy signatures detectable by the Mass Relays, the ultimate goal would be to upload a 'virus' into the Relay network, that would command the Relay to shoot any ship with a Reaper IFF into the nearest sun. But that's tangential to the point that Bioware were trying to tell a story that didn't fit either their core game mechanic, or the tone of the previous two games.

Think of it this way, for all their 'this is serious business' talk in ME3, the preceding game had given you a Suicide Mission in which nobody died if you were good enough. In that context it didn't seem unreasonable to expect a similar 'golden ending' for the third installment.

ArcadianDrew

Sep 3, 2014
I felt the ending was generally just shit. It felt rushed and didn't make any sense, where one minute Shepard was making their choice out of the 3 colours offered them, then the next minute we see the Normandy fleeing the battle, and then it crashes on a lovely, leafy planet where presumably they all died of starvation after a week or two.

Having said that, I don't think the ending warranted so much hatred. People who were saying it retroactively ruined the entire series for them I think were being a bit melodramatic. A sentiment expressed on here by some people (one I share) is that the important part of Mass Effect is the journey, not the destination and no bad ending can take that journey away from you. Well, not from me anyway, as soon as I finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time last month I immediately started a new run through of the entire series, have now just started ME3 again.

Though I suppose me playing the game so long after it came out and having read material on the ending for the last few years it may have softened my approach to the game's ending, making it seem less bad to me? I'll never know...

Arkliem

Apr 30, 2015
Roboshi said:
Arkliem said:
Auron225 said:
No we know refusal ends in entire destruction. As the ending is changed to a new alien race opening up liaras time capsules in a new harvesting cycle.
Which is exactly what I said? "The last part is an uncertainty that we only know because the game tells us that's what happens." Shepard does NOT know that.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Mass Effect 3 is one of those times where I remember why head canon can be the best canon.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm still really curious to see what the game would have turned out like if Drew Karpyshyn had written it...I don't know how much control he had over the script but ME3 is the only one out the trilogy that he isn't credited as being the head writer. As for the ending itself, It wasn't great. Someone already posted the "I Heard You Like" meme and that about sums up my feelings too. Another point of contention is how the only ending that felt right was the cinnamon ending. The other two seemed like compromises that went against the point of the other 2 games.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Shoggoth2588 said:
Another point of contention is how the only ending that felt right was the cinnamon ending. The other two seemed like compromises that went against the point of the other 2 games.
That's the rub, right there.

1. Control.

You literally just got through telling the Illusive Man that such a thing was impossible and that we, as a galaxy or species, let alone an individual, were not ready to handle something like the Reapers. But, hey, if the Reapers' 'queen' (ie. The enemy of all sentient life!) tells you that it's kosher? Why not, huh? What's the worst that could happen?

2. Synthesis.

The first game was spent fighting Saren, who advocated for a synthesis between biological sentients and the machine god Reapers. He was indoctrinated. Ultimately, you either kill him yourself in defiance of his 'belief' on the matter, or convince him to redeem himself by the good ol' medium of a bullet to the dome.

3. Destroy.

What your goal has been since Mass Effect 1. To destroy the genocidal Reapers and save the galaxy, whatever the cost. In this case? You're told by the Reapers' 'queen' that choosing to blow them all to hell will destroy the Geth and Edi...it even infers that Shepard will die as a consequence of this option. And what happens with high enough EMS? Breath scene.

Why the hell should we believe anything the Reaper 'queen' says? We have no reason to trust it. It is the enemy of all sentient life. Thousands of cycles. Trillions of lives.

Fuck that noise.

I mean, with a "twist" like this right at the end, with a fuckin' LITERAL deus ex machina for god sakes, it's no small wonder that people were upset. It lends credence to the 'Hudson and Walters decided to shut out other writers and defecate onto a keyboard in private' idea that was floated by apparent insiders over at Bioware.

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Looking at it from purely an academic, story-line, tensions, rising action, climax, etc. etc. etc. view, it was absolutely horrendous. The action throughout the game ramps up to the ending, the storylines are all being wrapped up and tied into each other to come together in what should have been the climax to end all climaxes. You, as Shepard, have just fought your way through an army of creepy crawley robo horrors, and are making the final charge that will bring you up to the Citadel, the place that started the entire series, where you will fight your way through hordes of Reapers to activate the Crucible and end the war. But wait! Harbinger swoops down on the remains of your troops, cutting a path through them, leaving them mangled and destroyed before they can reach the beam. You, Shepard, Hero of the Galaxy, manage to survive, along with your comrades. No backup, no "oops, let's try again," no second chances, you have to finish this fight yourself. So you stand up, get ready to finish your charge, and...

You spend the next ten minutes firing two shots and shuffling forward in a straight line, after which you spend fifteen minutes listening to people talk at you and moving your controller sticks up or down a couple of times, then you can pick one of three directions and shuffle forwards again, to be rewarded by a fifteen minute long cutscene.

Seriously, whether the ending was contrived, didn't make sense, whatever, it could be forgiven. But whoever decided it was a good idea to slow the game down to a crawl during what should have been the climax of the whole series is a fucking idiot and should never be allowed to write anything ever again.

If they had kept the storyline EXACTLY THE SAME but made your trip through the citadel full of the hardest combat you've ever faced, around corners, through changing hallways, fighting it out with your comrades in arms, it would have been acceptable. But they didn't, and it was bad.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
Does anyone wanna bet that ME4 will end with the only way in or out of Andromeda being destroyed in a way Bioware won't have to deal with ME3 ending ever again? I can see that being the case.
Even if they did, Bioware gonna do what Bioware does and handwave the entire thing with some sort of "Doesn't matter what you choose because of X or Y".
Here's my theory, newly formed;

The Reapers sent a relay and an exploratory force to Andromeda. The Big Bad there ground them in to the dirt, and the Not-Citadel-but-is-totally-a-Citadel relay falls dormant. The Continuity of Civilization protocol sends a force through a relay to Andromeda. A short time after, the pulse that knocks out the relays makes it to Andromeda and knocks out that relay too ensuring that the exploratory force is stuck there.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Diablo2000 said:
Foehunter82 said:
Diablo2000 said:
008Zulu said:
Foehunter82 said:
Says who? It's just a matter of, say, putting Samara in-game and providing a voice, and then discussing how the "Reapers were defeated" in broad, general terms without directly referencing decisions made or actions taken. So, yeah, they could do it. They would, of course, be canonizing certain things, though. And Bioware promising things doesn't mean they will keep their promises. They've been known to overpromise and underdeliver before.
They did say they wanted ME4 to be a fresh slate. Putting it in a different galaxy with an all new cast is about as fresh as you can get. It'd be nice if they canonised certain events, but the second they put events in stone, people who didn't play the game that way would complain that "history" did not reflect how they finished the games. Bioware got, and still is getting, flak over forcing Paragons to join a terrorist organisation in ME2, and Renegades being forced to quit working for a terrorist organisation. Their intent to start fresh is a means to bypass all the possible What-If combinations. I think the closest they have come to actual canonisation, is them saying that Liara is supposed to be the intended Love Interest.

However in order to bypass the biggest; ME3's ending, ME4 will have to technically start during ME3, them going to another galaxy could be explained as Continuity of Civilisation.
Does anyone wanna bet that ME4 will end with the only way in or out of Andromeda being destroyed in a way Bioware won't have to deal with ME3 ending ever again? I can see that being the case.
Even if they did, Bioware gonna do what Bioware does and handwave the entire thing with some sort of "Doesn't matter what you choose because of X or Y".
The likely handwave: "Oh, yeah, you know that Reaper thing that went on in Mass Effect 3? Yeah, it doesn't matter here because this is an alternate reality where the Reapers never existed because the Prothean wiped them out."
Or most likely "Synthesis happens... Doesn't matter what you choose or if makes sense or not. If Reapers are destroyed then they use reapers remains to make it happen, if they are controled they still use reaper tech to make it happen. Oh... And only the high military point things are canon because fuck you, you lazy fuck."
Yeah, or they could go the opposite way with it. Shepard and most of the Normandy crew died on the Suicide Mission, so the galaxy barely survived by the skin of it's teeth (and/or is still fighting the Reapers).

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
008Zulu said:
Diablo2000 said:
Here's my theory, newly formed;

The Reapers sent a relay and an exploratory force to Andromeda. The Big Bad there ground them in to the dirt, and the Not-Citadel-but-is-totally-a-Citadel relay falls dormant. The Continuity of Civilization protocol sends a force through a relay to Andromeda. A short time after, the pulse that knocks out the relays makes it to Andromeda and knocks out that relay too ensuring that the exploratory force is stuck there.
I think it's gonna be more of a case of "Oh, shit. The totally-not-the-reapers are going to use the totally-not-the-cidatel to invade the milky way. We need to blow it up to prevent it... Because of reasons."
Thought it would be interresting if they got there the conventual way with FTL drives and cryo stasis and the new game takes place several hundred years after ME3... It's a possibility, not a very likely one, knowing Bioware they probably just resource using some Mcguffin we never heard before because of other reasons to get to Andromeda, but it would be cool none the less.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
I agree with the OP. It was a terrible ending, out of keeping with the tone of the trilogy up to that point. It was also logically incoherent. The Extended Cut improved it in some ways, but fundamental issues remain. It didn't change enough to save the ending.

I like to think of the Citadel DLC as the real ending, pretend that Starchild didn't happen and that the party occurred after the final battle, not before it. But the truth is that even that can't help me regain interest in Mass Effect, which was once my favourite video game franchise. I haven't followed anything about whatever the next game will be. I don't care anymore. Why would I invest myself in it again, when what's built up lovingly and painstakingly over years can just be toppled in a few careless minutes?

I don't know who decided on that ending, whether it really was just Casey and Mac or if all the writers agreed on it, or if it was other people in Bioware, but I feel terrible for everyone who worked hard on the game but didn't decide the ending. Their work deserved better. It's not like ME3 was perfect apart from the ending, but its other flaws were easy for me to overlook, particularly considering its incredible strengths (e.g. Mordin, Legion). What a waste.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Knight Captain Kerr:
Why don't we go to Ilos? There is a Mass Relay to the Citadel right there and the Reapers don't know about it. We killed the Reaper who knew about its existence years ago. They even call the beam to the Citadel in London in Mass Effect 3 The Conduit, the same thing that mass relay was called. It would be much better than the crazy London run to the beam they do in 3.

Fair question. The major practical concern would be in coordination, but the advantage of bypassing the Reaper forces and appearing - presumably unnoticed - roughly where you need to be is far too great to ignore.
I took it as that the Conduit only worked because the Protheans knew the exact coordinates for the Citadel. Would it have worked if the Citadel was in a completely different solar system?

After all, we know there are different types of Mass Relay.

Wait, why disease and famine everywhere?

Also, Shepard does survive the Destroy ending in the Extended Cut. It seems reasonable to assume that his crew would find out sooner rather than later and go get him, but I'm perfectly fine with Sheperd surviving an ending. What I meant was that if there had been an ending, in which all Reapers are gone and all squadmates survive with no large scale destruction to even dampen the mood, then surely it would be the superior ending which everyone would aim for. Any other ending would be deemed a failure. I think they did a good job and creating different endings which had their own pros and cons (Reapers all die but so do synthetics, Organics and Synthetics come to a mutual understanding but that's creepy, weird and surely very dangerous, etc). The only one that seems outright worse than the others is Refusal - I'm still not sure why Bioware thought it was a necessary addition.
Why everywhere? Because that is how the Reapers have been shown to operate. After all you don't just magic crops out of thin air and it is damn hard to collect the harvest when you have Husks trying to give you a cuddle.

There is going to be at least one year before food production is back to the level it needs to be, and that's ignoring if they can get the Mass Relays repaired that quickly. After all not all members of races are in a system where they can eat the food that can be grown there.

It's headcanon that Shepard survives. After all the breath scene can just as easily be taken as the final lungfull of air from a person who has done what they needed to do, dying to stop a threat. After all doesn't death seem more likely given the injuries Shepard sustained?

Edit: Refusal works in a way because this cycle ended up doing what the Protheans did. We gave the next guys a chance.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
votemarvel said:
I took it as that the Conduit only worked because the Protheans knew the exact coordinates for the Citadel. Would it have worked if the Citadel was in a completely different solar system?

After all, we know there are different types of Mass Relay.
The thought had occurred to me, but the Mu Relay both being the only Relay with access to Illos and still being linked to the latter after four millennia of unforeseen drift caused by a supernova strongly suggests that the Relays function is independent of their location. It stands to reason that the conduit - being directly modeled off of the Mass Relays - would follow a similar principle...which is to say that the way they function more closely resemble quantumly entangled communicators (such as seen on the SR2) than Stargates.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Gethsemani said:
Auron225 said:
The only one that seems outright worse than the others is Refusal - I'm still not sure why Bioware thought it was a necessary addition.
Because some of us get a smug satisfaction from shooting Star Child in the face as a way of spiting both him and the writers. =P
But in the same time everyone dying and Shepard failing in that ending seems to be the writers' way of spiting us.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
votemarvel said:
If Shepard still died anyway, what was the point of the breathing scene in the first place? Of course it could be just to shut up the people who wanted Shepard to have a way out... Well. I just answered my own question, I guess.
In my headcannon both my FemShep and MaleShep (FemShep being my "Canon" one, not relevant though) lived, so I guess I shouldn't complain specially since I didn't played the damn game until last year, after the Extended "Enough to be less shitty, but still shitty" Cut.

And I see your point about hunger and disease, makes sense the galaxy to be in a pretty bad shape after the Reapers specially in the Destroy ending where in other the Reapers could actually help rebuild shit.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Gethsemani said:
In order to keep my anticipation of The Witcher 3 in check I decided to make a complete playthrough of the Mass Effect trilogy, starting in early April. So I picked up all the DLC I didn't have (which was Kasumi and the ME3 DLC) and went to work. Now, a month down the road I have completed the trilogy again, finally got around to seeing the extended cut and felt that I wanted to have another talk about the conclusion of the trilogy.

The question is simple: What did you think of and feel about the ending of Mass Effect 3? Was it good? Bad? Did it measure up to your expectations? Did the Extended Cut change your opinion on the ending?

Personally, I was never a big fan of the ending and still ain't. The Extended Cut made it slightly more compelling, but it didn't solve my main problem with it. That problem being that everything after the showdown with the Illusive Man is a massive tonal whiplash. The entire game has been this gritty war story in space, similar in tone to the first season of Battlestar Galactica Re-imagined, and the game sets the Crucible up to be a weapon of some sort. Then Anderson dies and Shepard is hurled into something that's tonally closer to 2001: A Space Odyssey with its' pondering pace and philosophical overtones. The aesthetic is completely changed and the game just springs a four way choice on you without any real set-up to the choice at hand (this is even worse if you haven't played the Leviathan DLC, which offers crucial backstory pertinent to the ending). It comes so far out of the left field that both times I've played it, the ending has broken my suspension of disbelief.

It is not the choice itself that's the problem, nor the consequences of the choice. Had the choice cropped up as you fought your way through the Citadel to power up the Crucible, and your team discovers that it isn't necessarily a weapon to destroy the Reapers with, I would probably have been fine with it ("Shepard, you must decide a setting on the Crucible or it won't fire!"). But as it is, the sudden shift in tone and the annoying kid spouting pseudo-philosophy, that a high school student could reasonably engage and pick apart, is so jarringly different from everything I've done in 80+ hours of game time in the trilogy up to that point that I just can't keep my suspension of disbelief. Which sadly pulls the entire game down for me.
It...never bothered me that much with the extended cut. Oh, it wasn't perfect and the lack of a final boss was a massive letdown, but I enjoyed ME3 from start to finish and the ending was, while not perfect, pretty much fine.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
viranimus said:
The problem was not the ending. The problem was and has always been people, and putting their own personal expectation first whilst ignoring the game itself.
In any other franchise I would agree (although Deux Ex Machina endings are known to be evidence of bad writing). However, Mass Effect games are known to reflect the player's actions in the most important parts.

You'll get a very similar reaction if you remove or really screw up the guns from the next COD, the jumping from the next Super Mario, the fatalities from the next Mortal Kombat, the mutant creatures from the next Resident Evil, the fighting from the next Batman: Arkham, the open world from the next GTA, etc...

PS captcha: cool heads prevail Somebody shut down Captcha. I think it just went self-aware!

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
OK, I TRIED to stay out of this thread, as I feel I've already spent enough time on that woeful travesty of a finale. But it just seems downright wrong not to give it another kicking whenever it rears its head.

The thing with the ending is that it just abruptly flips the entire point of the series around, from the Reapers being the problem that has to be stopped from destroying the galaxy by the protagonist... to the protagonist and the galaxy being the problem that has to be stopped (by the Reapers) from surviving (as they are) the trilogy. Think about it. It's true. And that just invalidates every damn thing you did in the games. We don't even have to mention the fact that this switch is so poorly (i.e. not at all) integrated into the plot that it really would make for a much more satisfying conclusion if the final part with the Space Ghost was cut out of the game altogether, and all you got after Anderson's death was the credits rolling.

So, they should have gone with a "Reduced Cut", rather than the "Extended" one, which added nothing of positive value, only further messing up the mess. Oh, and the lasting enigma of them getting the lead actors back into the studio to record a stirring speech of resistance, just to use it for a "Screw You, Everything Died!" Game Over sequence. What the hell were they snorting?

The only good ending was the Happy Ending Mod, but unfortunately I couldn't persuade myself into accepting fanfic as closure.