3 years later... what happened?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
So yesterday I got THE badge here on the Escapist.
To be honest it's also the only badge I've really looked forward to achieving since I saw it the first time.
Yes, it is the "has posted in 36 different months" badge with the 3 pints
I think the first time I saw a thread about this badge was about 7 months ago by a certain [user]Redlin5[/user] and I will by his request give credit to EcksTeaSea who apparently was the first one create one of these threads!

So 3 years eh? certainly doesn't feel that way!
so what happened? Well here on the Escapist as far as I'm concerned some shows went (Unforgotten Realms) while other have come (Reel Physics) and the forums have stayed pretty much the same. People make the same threads as before, people find something to make MASSIVE AMOUNTS of threads about for a month and then they vanish, there's a certain pattern to this... Maybe the longest running one was the introduction and evolution of a certain captcha and how it split the opinions of the users here :D

New users and old users with their avatars and how I hate when people change them because I can't remember names for shit! Some always have their humour in their posts while others actually give more seriously answers to the questions in the threads, a good mix of it all. And despite the 36 months I'm only on about 3500 posts so that 10k post thread will have to wait for about 6 more years!

I became the co-creator of a user group (Barclays Premier League) which has a core group of 10-ish people who are having a nice time discussing football :) Feel free to join!
I guess this is pretty much my time here on the Escapist.

And for the less important things, my IRL life these last 3 years?
I've worked in a grocery store 6 months, then came a time when I was less active for a year here because I did my military service and then I worked again for 6 months in another grocery store. I applied to schools and got a place to study where I've been for 7 months now and loving it (Police College of Finland) since it's pretty much a childhood dream to be a cop. And of course the most important thing; nope, still no girlfriend...

So this Finn now wants to thank all of you for giving me a great time and interesting things to read about and watch, keep it up! I now actually feel like a veteran here on this site :D A landmark reached and many more to come!
What are YOU looking forward to??

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
I feel the forums have changed a lot on here. Especially since late 2011. I used to frequent this site all the time, post a lot and generally spend a good deal of time here.
that was when I started posting more frequently....I cant really remember much change... maybe the topics became more asinine?

OT: I think about the site and how I'm on it so much as second nature (its always the first site I go on) I'm beggining to think this place is some kind of addiction, but to be fair I havnt found a better forum

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
imahobbit4062 said:
I feel the forums have changed a lot on here. Especially since late 2011. I used to frequent this site all the time, post a lot and generally spend a good deal of time here.

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things.
This is also how I feel.
I pretty much come here out of habit and I spend most my time in one user group nowadays. More fun, less hassle.

Dec 14, 2009
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things.
This is also how I feel.
I pretty much come here out of habit and I spend most my time in one user group nowadays. More fun, less hassle.
I know dem feels.

I don't know what happened to the forums in the last 6 months, but I don't like it.

I can't even put my finger on it, something just changed for the worse.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sassafrass said:
This is also how I feel.
Daystar Clarion said:
I know dem feels.

I don't know what happened to the forums in the last 6 months, but I don't like it.

can somone tell me what it is?

seriously, mabye I haven't been here long enough I obviously just dont pick thease things up

in fact I'd say theres even less of the "PC elitist everything yahtzee says is gospel cynical Bioware are awful all games arw awful" schtick going on

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Here's a triple stein cheers to you. I've been here a while, but without the impressive post count. Still I'm on here nearly every day.

You guys sound like a bunch of old men siting on a porch complaining about the youth of today...

You know what you need: a stick for whittling. And another rape thread. Or a freindzone thread.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Vault101 said:
can somone tell me what it is?
Maybe it was the spambot phase that suddenly spawned an influx of nutjobs... *shrug*

Yeah... I post a lot less in the Forums these days (change happened about mid-last year, I think)... I mostly hide out in a few of the usergroups...

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
BringBackBuck said:
Here's a triple stein cheers to you. I've been here a while, but without the impressive post count. Still I'm on here nearly every day.

You guys sound like a bunch of old men siting on a porch complaining about the youth of today...

You know what you need: a stick for whittling. And another rape thread. Or a freindzone thread.
Get off my lawn thread! *shakes stick* Young whippersnappers, meddling with our perfectly good threads.

But OT: I don't post a lot in the forums, but I have also noticed a change since I joined about 2 years ago. The threads are just not the same, somehow.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:

This is also how I feel.
I know dem feels.

Over-exposure, maybe?

The same thing happened to the guys from PRIATE.

Join the Escapist, love the Escapist, become regular, become popular, create user group, become forum celebrity, huge jump in post count, become less interested in the Escapist, hate the Escapist.

Soon, the Brovengers will create it's own sub forum.

I don't know, to be honest, for as long as I've been on this site and even before I made an account, people have complained about how different everything was six months ago. Maybe I just don't notice.

OP: Congratulations, lovely!!
I got mine a few months ago and I'm with you in the low post count group!

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Geez, every man and his dog has one of those badges these days.

I've had mine since November '11.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BringBackBuck said:

XD....I agree mabye its because if anything i figured the forums were always a bit "passive agressive snark"
Colour-Scientist said:
I don't know, to be honest, for as long as I've been on this site and even before I made an account, people have complained about how different everything was six months ago. Maybe I just don't notice.
I'm on here more than what should be considered healthy and I don't know what everyone's talking about

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
BringBackBuck said:

XD....I agree mabye its because if anything i figured the forums were always a bit "passive agressive snark"
Colour-Scientist said:
I'm on here more than what should be considered healthy and I don't know what everyone's talking about
Well to be fair, with the exception of Topaz, people who complain have been active on here a whole lot longer than you have.
If you did compare the forums now to early 2010, there is a pretty big difference, even I will admit that. As for the last six months, everything seems pretty much the same.

2009 members complain about 2010 members, 2010 about 2011 and so on and so forth.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh hey, I have that badge too. Since... about a month ago I think.

And yeah, I'm going to agree with what others have said. This place feels hostile as all hell. However, I can't remember if it was always like this or if it changed or if I just started noticing it more.

It seems like you can't talk about anything without someone getting all venomous in your face. No matter the subject, someone with an agenda will charge in and start slinging turds in every direction. They may well be passive-aggresive turds or carefully aimed turds because the slinger wishes to avoid mod wrath, but they're still turds. Apparently nobody knows how to disagree with some or criticise a thing without being, well... a mean-spirited arsehole about it.

At this point I should probably mention that I'm guilty of this too. I've pissed on a few parades for no good reason. Although after seeing how obnoxious it is I've stopped.

Also, I'm trying to be less hostile in general. Although I still tend to break out the sarcasm more than neccesary. It can feel a bit pointless trying to hold yourself above the nastiness. It kinda rubs off.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Guffe said:
Sunshine and happiness.
Oh dear, your thread seems to have been hijacked and turned into a complain-y, srs bizniz thread.

smithy_2045 said:
Geez, every man and his dog has one of those badges these days.

I've had mine since November '11.
And you have the one of the pony badges,
God fucking dammit.
I've wanted one of those for nearly four years now!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Guffe said:
Sunshine and happiness.
Oh dear, your thread seems to have been hijacked and turned into a complain-y, srs bizniz thread.
Apparently that happened yes xD
I will need to get ot the bottom of this!!

Dec 14, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:

This is also how I feel.
I know dem feels.

Over-exposure, maybe?

Join the Escapist, love the Escapist, become regular, become popular, create user group, become forum celebrity, huge jump in post count, become less interested in the Escapist, hate the Escapist.

I still love this place, I dunno, there just seems to me more hostility than ever before and it's not even MM this year.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:
TopazFusion said:
Pinkamena said:
BringBackBuck said:
SckizoBoy said:
All of you guys feel this way?? o_O
Holy crap what did I miss?
I get pretty seldom quoted from anything but I usually scroll through a lot of the material in threads and I don't find people more (passive) aggressive than before......

Well I just finished Batman Arkham City so I now have a degree in fighting bad stuff, I'll take care of this!!

Aug 19, 2010
Well, I haven't been around as long as you heavy-hitters, and i have certainly not posted as much, but I do my bit of lurking, and i have also noticed the change and sparks of hostility that were absent at my arrival.

Unfortunately I have no user-groups to escape to. Better remedy that!

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:

This is also how I feel.
I know dem feels.

Over-exposure, maybe?

I still love this place, I dunno, there just seems to me more hostility than ever before and it's not even MM this year.
Give it time, the prophecy will soon be fulfilled. :D

I don't know, the forums have always been kind of grumpy. Maybe you've just been noticing it more lately?