3 years later... what happened?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
I think the soul-crushing misery train has long since jumped the shark in this thread...

I really haven't had an unpleasant experience here on the site, so take my naivety with a grain of salt

And just remember: No matter how bad things get, they can ALWAYS get worse!... If that helps at all >.>
must be that time of month again

the "everything is getting worse/dying" time of month

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I've been around the forums nearly as long, but I don't feel like responding to most threads these days.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Snip Snip
must be that time of month again

the "everything is getting worse/dying" time of month
The world is dark, full of misery, pain and DEATH

Hopefully, that feeling passes; it's good every once in a while for sanity's sake, but if it lingers too long, we should consult someone about this

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Guffe said:
Congratulations on the badge. I've found myself actually counting until I get my 1st Pint for being a regular over 12 months.

imahobbit4062 said:
Sassafrass said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I wonder if some of the grumps have to do with "survivor's guilt". You're still here while hundreds of people have come and gone. And a lot of people you used to know have left or gotten banned.

Now you're the oldsters gazing across your lawns at the pups playing in the street. You've been there and done that, seen it all...and sound like you're getting a little crotchety in your advancing years. From the sounds of some of the things you've said Daystar I got the impression you were feistier in days gone by.

Do you folks find the User Groups more comfortable because they present you with a controlled environment of familiar faces?

What is the likelihood for gamers to remain gamers and hang out at a site like this for years on end? As far as games go I spend more time playing mighty Hidden Object games so I'm not exactly one to jump into the Console War debates. And my PC won't play most simple PC games (I think the optics drive is going out) and I've lost money on The Witcher and The Force Unleashed because in the 1st case it keeps asking for "Administrative approval" or something so I've never gotten past the "do you wanna play"/set up screen and in the 2nd my graphics capabilities are so poor the game plays at super slow speed.

Now I'm depressing myself. Where's MY cane?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Sassafrass said:
imahobbit4062 said:
I feel the forums have changed a lot on here. Especially since late 2011. I used to frequent this site all the time, post a lot and generally spend a good deal of time here.

Nowadays I can't stand a majority of this sites users and their attitude towards things.
This is also how I feel.
I pretty much come here out of habit and I spend most my time in one user group nowadays. More fun, less hassle.
I know dem feels.

I don't know what happened to the forums in the last 6 months, but I don't like it.

I can't even put my finger on it, something just changed for the worse.
There's certainly a lot more anger prevalent here than the earlier days of my time here.

I get the feeling some of the bile has snowballed over the years and affected the site's general atmosphere in the long run.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well since this topic has been partially hi-jacked, I'll state my view on the hi-jacked topic: It does seem like there has been an influx of hostility on this site but I have a super duper secret that will help you not care...come here.....come closer.......closer.......OK, now you're in my personal space so back up a bit:

Stop responding to them. Now I'm sure a few innocents get caught up in this but anytime I feel that someone is being hugely dis-respectful, I either stop responding to them or I respond with a "I'm willing to debate this but if you don't treat this like a civil conversation, I'm done" type of thing. You will either get someone who says "I'm sorry; I didn't realize I was acting like an ass-clown" and get yourself a new debate or they will show their true colors when they call you a ninja fag. It's a win win!

Alright, back to the ACTUAL topic at hand :)

Ever since joining The Publisher's Club, I've found that interacting with the same core group of people each day has really made this site much better for me. I've been here for quite a while but my post count spiked and my enjoyment of the site spiked by having some fun in that private spot. There are also no real ass-hats in there because...well...you're paying to be there and so there are no dip-shits who just create an account to be an ass.

As to real life, life has gotten much better too! I got hired on permanently at my job at US Bank and I don't hate my life working there like so many other jobs! I am now in the baby stages of finding a place to purchase. Everything's going Tippy2k2 (well...except for lack of boobies. There are no boobies in my life but we can work on that :) Who wants to be my wing man!?

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
TizzytheTormentor said:
TopazFusion said:
Snip Snip
You got that right mate, I love this place, but most threads usually bring hostility, hope it blows over soon...at least before the fires ignite with March Mayhem.
You didn't hear? It was canceled this year
tippy2k2 said:
Everything's going Tippy2k2 (well...except for lack of boobies. There are no boobies in my life but we can work on that :) Who wants to be my wing man!?
Oh, oh, can I be!?

We'll be the unstoppable Romeos of the site!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Colour-Scientist said:
I don't know, to be honest, for as long as I've been on this site and even before I made an account, people have complained about how different everything was six months ago. Maybe I just don't notice.
Or maybe this is just the usual sort of thing that goes on. People always like to wax nostalgic about the past. Now, in our ADHD generation, with our brains fried by TV and video games and the intertubes, we can only reliably go back about six months.

PsychicTaco115

Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
TizzytheTormentor said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
TopazFusion said:
Snip Snip
Snip
Snip
Seriously? Why?

Is it because the already volatile forums don't need more fuel in the fire?

[sub]*Has memories of the bickering when Zynga almost won a few years back when I was a lurker*[/sub]
Actually, that's pretty spot-on why

This is coming from Susan herself:
We're not doing March Mayhem because it's a ton of work and you folks didn't seem to enjoy it all that much. Pretty simple, really. If we come up with a fresh way to do it that we think you'll enjoy, we'll absolutely bring it back, but until then, we'd rather give you guys engaging content that you'll find exciting.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.402358-Its-March-wheres-the-Mayhem?page=2

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Well since this topic has been partially hi-jacked,
Well it's good that people get to vent some right? :D
This thread has brought loads of "old school" people into one thread :)

PsychicTaco115 said:
I really haven't had an unpleasant experience here on the site,
Yay I'm not the only one XD

Sassafrass said:
But on the plus side, everyone who's posted in this thread appear to be cool guys so yay for the cool guys thread.
If I'm cool. Which I'm probably not. <_<
You're a cool lad Sassy, and one fo the few users who's name I can acutally remember, don't ask me to spell it thou! :p

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that in most cases where people feel something has somehow changed but they can't put their finger on it it's really themselves that have changed.

It's the same with the 'ism' threads. Most people you see complaining about those you'll find engaging in them at some point during their post history. They were involved, they had their discussions, they had their say and they feel the topic's closed for them. They're now looking for new and interesting subjects to discuss but because there's a constant influx of new people who haven't yet discussed these topics the same ones basically keep popping up again and again, just with new people discussing them.

The forums have remained mostly the same. It's just individual posters who've changed and are no longer interested in the topics they used to be interested in. And for someone who's lost interest in a topic a spirited debate is pretty much the same as hate-filled arguing.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I just went past my 2 year mark last month here.

Honestly haven't been posting much lately, but I haven't noticed a whole lot of changes regarding posting habits here.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Since I'm not one of the "old gang" (an arbitrary group of people defined by them joining on March 29th 2009 or before), so I can't really make comment on the state of the forum.

Despite what people may say about it changing for the worse, I've always found it a lot better than any other forum out there.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
knight steel said:
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
New here. The hostility I've seen so far defies logic. People will get in your face, even if you agreed with something they said.
WELCOME TO THE ESCAPIST I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR STAY!!!!!!!
[sub]don't go into the basement[/sub]
Anywho HOW DARE YOU BRING UP THE TRUTH YOU SIMPLETON ANYONE WHO POINTS OUT OUR OBVIOUS HATE WILL BE HATED T_T.
Haha, thanks Knight Steel.
Just ignore it, the community has a bad habit of jerking off long time posters and ignoring or bashing new posters.

Most older forums suffer from this problem.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I've only been here since June, and the only change that I see back from when I lurked (Zeel time) is that the forums are slowly getting more hostile. I guess it's because we're all tired of bile and prefer something fresh.

...To combat this problem, I suggest giving out a warning everytime someone creates a sexism/gender politics/inflammatory/etc thread. It is a legit idea...

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I was a lurker when Furburt and company were still here. I think Sassafras had something around 15k posts then. It was a fun place here back then, even with Furburt (I think it was him) calling Steve Pitts, who was the Editor-in-Chief back then...

"Piss-Pots" (Please don't warn or suspend me; just recounting events, that's all! I harbor no ill-will toward the moderators or staff at The Escapist)

...the place still had a general "good time, happy place" feel to it. I mean, yeah, we've had complete mental cases come and go...

Zeel and LilithSlave, I hope their wedding goes well (just kidding)

...but we've never had a massive amount of negativity, until recently. I believe people in the gaming community are fed up with events that have happened over the past year or so, things like the Mass Effect 3 ending controversy, Aliens: Colonial Marines, The WarZ debacle and so forth, have really begun to have an impact amongst the community. Add on the overdone sensationalism (which I'm guilty of, I admit), the general lack of "agreeing-to-disagreeing" and the feeling of the decline of gaming, and you have a nice brew of negative emotion powerful enough to charge forklift batteries.

The site itself has changed a few times, but it wasn't anything I couldn't adapt to. And speaking of changing, perhaps gamers are just waiting for developers/publishers of all stripes to start changing for the better; though if that's the case, I think we might be in for a bit of a wait.