300 Director to Develop Star Wars Standalone Based on Seven Samurai

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
300 Director to Develop Star Wars Standalone Based on Seven Samurai

Zack Snyder previously said he had no interest in Star Wars: Episode VII.

Apparently director Zack Snyder's previous lack of interest in directing the seventh Star Wars movie was honest but misleading, because according to an anonymous source consulted by Vulture, he's set to develop a Jedi epic based on the classic movie Seven Samurai by famed Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. Snyder is best known for directing 300, Watchmen and this summer's upcoming superman reboot Man of Steel. It's currently unknown where in the trilogy the film will fall, though it likely won't be a numbered Star Wars episode. It's likely that this is part of Disney's new plan to release a Star Wars movie every few years, which will likely require a few movies that stand alone. Vulture's sources say that the new Snyder film will probably go into production after Star Wars: Episode VII releases in 2015.

Seven Samurai is a 1954 movie set during the warring states period in Japan that tells the story of seven ronin hired to defend a peasant village that's robbed by bandits each year. Samurai movies like those directed by Akira Kurosawa are regularly cited as inspirations for Star Wars, so it's interesting to see Disney returning to the root of the films' influence. Picking Snyder as director will likely result in a little controversy. We'll see how everyone feels about it after Man of Steel releases this summer.

Source: Vulture [http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-snyder-preps-non-trilogy-star-wars-film.html]

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sounds good. Thing about the prequels were it was concentrated on Vader and light sabers. The characters sucked as it had to be connected to the original series. But with this they can do there own thing. New characters etc This movie could be awesome if they keep the feel of the original trilogy but have new stuff. Will be excellent.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Oh and if you look at 7 samurai, you think of 7 jedi protecting a village from sith or bandits. It just fits the lore and how both sides fit. Hopefully this is a one off movie, no sequels. It tells the story and its over. Will be good. Well....knowing the how 7 samurai ends.

Jan 12, 2012
I wonder what exactly they mean by "remaking". Is this going to be "7 Jedi fight to defend a planet against attackers, sacrificing several of their number but ultimately winning," or "A bunch of heroes do something, but use they same sort of archetypes."

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
That sounds really cool.
I like Star Wars, I like the Seven Samurai and I think Mr Snyder is a decent director.
Hopefully its not crap like Star Wars Clone Wars.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
The Magnificent Seven with lightsabers?
I would watch that.
Also, stand alone stories always have a uniqueness towards them that I rarely find uninteresting. Just as long as it has no/very tenuous connections to previous star wars characters - not that I don't love them, but their stories are done to death. Let's they do something new and fun.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Well, cautiously optimistic on this one, because, well, new Star Wars movies. Not sure if Snyder would be the right fit, but doing a standalone is probably the best place to try him out, because it allows stylistic difference from the original saga and whatever Disney has in the works. And I've gotta say, I like the idea of standalone Star Wars stuff. If it takes off, I hope they try and adapt KotOR, that would be great.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I think the Clone Wars cartoon already had an episode like that, so it wouldn't even be an original concept in the Star Wars Universe.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
This seems really cool. If Disney get on board with the idea of the Star Wars EU and telling smaller tales within it as a decision right from the very top even in the films... that could be very cool

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Sleekit said:
The Magnificent 7 have been to space before...
Wow...never knew this. I'm definitely gonna check this one out. I love how they blatantly rip off the design of a Corellian Corvette on the poster, the same with the laughably similar title.

Captcha: Men in Suits. Almost captcha, but it's called Men in Black.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
This'd be amazing, but unfortunately Snyder's released a statement denying it to hollywood reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336

All the sad-faces :(