301: Playing for Pennies

Carl Watkins

Duke of Nonsense
Jul 26, 2009
InvisibleMan said:
Couldn't you say the same thing about any of the consoles of the PS2 generation, though? GameCube and the original Xbox games are just as cheap, but usually the graphics were better in those systems...
I think you could make the argument, but frankly there is a big difference between the three. Gamecube had some great games, but frankly the library just doesn't stack up to the PS2. I owned and loved a GC for many years, but the 3rd party support just wasn't there. Now the first party titles are killer and still some of the greatest games ever made.

Now the Xbox has a pretty decent library, but it fell off really quickly. Sony continues to support the PS2 whereas Microsoft cut all support within a year of the 360 releasing. Was this a bad move by Microsoft? Well, if it was, it didn't matter because I think they're clearly dominating this generation of consoles.

All that to say, all three are great and if these consoles were in their prime it would be a tough fight still... but... as it stands, I think the PS2 is the current standout from that generation.

AlexLoxate

Sep 3, 2010
You can get current gen games for $20 or less too. And good games as well. There are sales, specials, etc at a lot of stores. Just browse online. For example, I can get Alan Wake for like 11.50 Euros.

Carl Watkins

Duke of Nonsense
Jul 26, 2009
AlexLoxate said:
You can get current gen games for $20 or less too. And good games as well. There are sales, specials, etc at a lot of stores. Just browse online. For example, I can get Alan Wake for like 11.50 Euros.
But again, it's not just about the games. It's the overall package value of the system, not just a few titles, that is being discussed.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
I still love the good old PS2. I own more games for the PS2 than any other system I own, and pretty much 90% of the games on my wishlist are also PS2.
I might need to get a replacement though, just in case. Also considering getting an American or modded PS2 to play NTSC games.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Having just bought a stack of PS2 games, I agree with this article. Best back-catalog of any console.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I still regret selling my PS2, I think it's one of the worst mistakes I've ever made and belive me, I've made many mistakes in my life.

I sold it back at the end of 2003 to buy a GameCube. While I don't regret getting the cube and it's small but wonderful catalog of games, I sold the PS2 at a really bad timing, a year later, Metal Gear Solid 3 got released, so do Jak 3 and many other wonderful PS2 games I never played.
I eventually did played those in my cousin's PS2.

Sometimes I still want to buy a PS2 again.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Tomo Stryker said:
Wait, this article had nothing to do with Gordon Freeman. I feel totally cheated (/sarcasm).
well the PS2 did have Half Life complete with the expansions and the HD texture pack.

OT I still have my PS2 and I still play Ace Combat or Jak every once and a while. I just wish my PS2 would play Gran Turismo 4...

Epslion.Bear

Feb 27, 2011
I still use and play on my Ps2

Its a good DVD player and its small (well the slim anyways) so If i want to travel I can. Plus its they only system I have The Warriors for (Fighting off hoards of hobos shouting about 'Nam is awesome)

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
There have been a lot of consoles that I've owned and enjoyed, but I truly feel the PS2 is the best console made. The variety of games it has and the fact it is still supported makes it a gaming console for everyone. If there is a genre of game you like, PS2 will have several games to fill that need.