A View From the Road: What to Avoid Naming Your Aion Character

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A View From the Road: What to Avoid Naming Your Aion Character

Follow four simple tips for naming your Aion character, and hopefully you'll turn out better than these unfortunate souls.

Read Full Article

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I used to catch flak for my character's name in WoW, and new guildies still often stumble over it. But Tzivya is a perfectly nice Hebrew name in the tradition of Tziporah and such, and I have a Jewish girlfriend. And people adjusted eventually, though it's always great to have the nickname 'Tizzy', as I'm one of the less likely people to throw one.;)

I wouldn't give up my name for anything, it's relatively unique without being made-up and stupid. :)

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Heh, my main from Guild Wars is "Sgdfhf Gh." I can see at least 1 rule I've broken.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Man, I've seen so many bad names in Aion... a lot of these "rules" should be enforced. People are just completely unoriginal. I've seen several names worse than those on the list, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I make it a mission to have original names throughout my RPG experiences.
Granted, I tend to recycle the same characters in each one, but at least they are my own.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
I usually go for stuff like "PlaceHolder", or "HexValue4E616D65".

It's original enough, and it usually means the name's free.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Funk if you're on the NA servers I'm going to cry!

Good article though, I chose Babylon so I think I'm pretty safe.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
As a related side story to this, back in day one of World of Warcraft release I was trying to come up with a unique character name for my rogue. I took the base word of Sly and started tacking on letters until I found something I liked. I never bothered to sound it out phonetically though. Fast forward a few months to when I started using Ventrillo, which has a feature that attempts to sound out user names when they enter the channel. Now most people would look at that name and come up with either 'slice-in' or 'sly-sin' as a pronunciation and would say it that way, however phonetically Ventrillo broke it down as 'slick-knee'(slyc ne). I've stuck with the name since then and don't mind either way it's said, but it's something else to keep in mind while making a name.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Slycne said:
As a related side story to this, back in day one of World of Warcraft release I was trying to come up with a unique character name for my rogue. I took the base word of Sly and started tacking on letters until I found something I liked. I never bothered to sound it out phonetically though. Fast forward a few months to when I started using Ventrillo, which has a feature that attempts to sound out user names when they enter the channel. Now most people would look at that name and come up with either 'slice-in' or 'sly-sin' as a pronunciation and would say it that way, however phonetically Ventrillo broke it down as 'slick-knee'(slyc ne). I've stuck with the name since then and don't mind either way it's said, but it's something else to keep in mind while making a name.
Slick knee has joined the channel.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Also, games really should allow you to rename your character, or his alias. As long as it's unique every time, what's the problem?

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
domicius said:
Also, games really should allow you to rename your character, or his alias. As long as it's unique every time, what's the problem?
If the database wasn't designed for it from ground up... there's not just a single problem, there's a veritable flood of them.

If the system was designed for it - no problem. Adding it later on is a recipe for trouble.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
A dancing lemming is inviting you to join her fellowship.
You have joined the Bits Of Bugs fellowship, an open fellowship let by a dancing lemming.
A dancing lemming says: "Welcome to the gang. Ready to rock?"

Corpse of {very tall creature}, killed by Limited Headroom.

Al-A-Ka-Poo made another character called A-Wa-Na-Ke-Bab.

Then there was the chap called Immort al-Soul. It looks alright if you only speak Aluvian, but that's a Gharu'ndim name and in Gharu'ndim "al" isn't always pronounced "al":
al-baeb is pronounced "al-baeb";
al-jinniy is pronounced "al-genie";
al-mufattish is pronounced "Alma Fetish";
al-nuur is pronounced "an-noor";
al-sunduuq is pronounced "as-sundooq"
..... and therein lies the problem. He'd called himself "immort asshole" by mistake.

One more rule, which may not apply to all games: make it something people can type. It's bad enough getting killed in a really awkward place and having to get rebuffed and get enough xp to get functional again and restart the quest without having to type out /permit add ash-shoqiyqatal-jamiyla bis-seyfil-kabiyratil-os'har to get your stuff back.

hansari

May 31, 2009
I just did my own first name...yeah...very unoriginal but, then again, there were like dozens of "Cpt. Winters" and "Shifty" running around on CoD...

I never got flak for my lack of creativity though...maybe it was just the people I gamed with.

Then there is the fact that the skill you will bring into a clan/guild is considered much more heavily then your name.

(It was always kinda funny...to see my plain real world name ranked higher at the end of the match then "Godsmack" or whatever badass identity people wanted to choose...)