311: A Mod-el for Success

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Iron Lightning said:
That's true but the article's picture is from Zeno Clash which I find to be a bit odd, that's all.
Oh, the "What." wasn't directed at you but at the article. I'm agreeing completely with you.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
versoth said:
You talk about Machinima and not mention Red vs Blue?
. Not to be rude, but he wasn't making a "history of people who did it". He just mentioned one example from each field. He didn't even bother mentioning that Portal 1 was based off of a Half-Life 2 mod for a student project. So don't feel bad.

ledchicken

Mar 30, 2011
Iron Lightning said:
I'm sorry but what does any of this have to do with Zeno Clash? I'm pretty sure that didn't start as a mod.
The team that created Zeno Clash, started out as a group who just developed mods - kind of an obscure reference by the writer there, then they moved on to Zeno Clash which is kind of a mod as it uses heaps of sounds etc from half-life, but then again so do all other games that use the source engine.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I really don't have the best memory, but I believe every Mojangster except Jens who showed up at PAX this year was originally a modder hired by Mojang & given a cushy job in Sweden.

I definitely appreciate modders, especially the one who makes obscure low-demand mods like "long hair for men" & for women like me who have unusual fetishes, because who else will thank them? I remember my favorite Morrowind Mods...Done by Cait (I think), whom added spawning sand dollars, hermit crabs, seashells, starfish, seaweed, coral, birds, deer, horses, cats, dogs, squirrels, rabbits...All the little things developers overlook for cost & time reasons. Now if I could just find a mod in any game that made the land near water look wet.

yeel

May 15, 2009
First thing which came up in my mind was Kerbal Space Program. From what I gathered not a few of the current developers started out as modders to the game and are now part of the team.