Grab A Look at Canceled "The Flash" Superhero Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Grab A Look at Canceled "The Flash" Superhero Game

This game based on DC's superhero The Flash may never have seen the light of day, but at least you can see what the title looked like six months into development thanks to this rough early footage.

There's no denying that the above footage - posted on superannuation [http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/207028599/this-is-early-game-footage-from-the-cancelled] by a BottleRocket employee - is incredibly rough, but you know what? Let's be lenient for a moment: After all, the title was reportedly only a third into development (six months, with "about a year" remaining) when the publisher, Brash Entertainment, went under.

So for a game six months into development, there's potential here. Granted, I don't think any developer could ever illustrate the true capabilities of The Flash in a game (like running around the world in a fraction of a second to punch someone in the face) but the BottleRocket team apparently had a good grasp on how to give the player a good sense of speed, even in this early rough footage. The combat looks pretty cool, too - bullet time taken to its absurd extreme, anybody?

There are some solid ideas under the hood, and it's a shame we won't ever get to see them in action. Alas and alack.

(via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/08/see-the-flash-superhero-game-in-action-before-it-disappeare/])

SamSmith

Sep 13, 2008
Kinda looks like a 3D Sonic game, and we all know how those turned out. Which sucks, because The Flash is the best superhero out there.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
I wonder if they would've incorporated Flash's ability to move every atom of himself so fast that he could phase through walls. That would be awesome.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
It's just a case of seeing how the fact that The Flash has super speed would be incorporated into the game without it being a game breaker:

CantFaketheFunk said:
Granted, I don't think any developer could ever illustrate the true capabilities of The Flash in a game (like running around the world in a fraction of a second to punch someone in the face) but the BottleRocket team apparently had a good grasp on how to give the player a good sense of speed, even in this early rough footage. The combat looks pretty cool, too - bullet time taken to its absurd extreme, anybody?
Exactly this. But still it's pretty cool seeing the actual footage even if this game won't ever end up being made. Shame, I guess. Still, at least we have the likes of Arkham Asylum to tide us over until the next superhero movie/game tie-in...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Actually, the footage reminds me a lot of the Superman Returns game, which really isn't a good thing. Still, it's a shame it got canceled.

Dr.Poisonfreak

Apr 6, 2009
That is a shame, it looks like a laugh, spider man style game play on speed, would have been awesome if it had continued the way it was going.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Don't like the idea at all.

I want to leap 100's of feet into the air before landing and chasing someone across rooftops. Jumping and rolling onto each surface.

Not run around a city. Even if you can run up buildings.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
The combat reminded me of the Spiderman games, which got pretty boring after a while. Their concept of open world would probably have been like Spiderman as well. Run around, find baddies to beat up, go to an icon to follow the story, or go do a racing/fighting/obstacle challenge.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Reuq said:
Looks like a laugh, but not my thing at all. Strangly it reminds me of GTA3, duno why.
ever used the Raise Speed cheat?
You run pretty fast if you use it...

well, that's why it reminds me of GTA3. or San Andreas. but mostly 3.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Granting it that it is nothing but a rough draft of what it could have potentially been, I would hope that had they more time to develop it that they'd have done away with the grinding and assisted ramp jumps.

They look like they really break flow.

Sure, have ramps somewhere, but don't let them be "Press button in time to use" ramps, just have a ramp that you can run and then jump from.

And grinding? in a game about speed? Surely people have learned from the Sonic games, right?

I won't deny that despite that, the rest looks really, very impressive for something that's entirely unfinished.

I can only hope that some other company picks up the project, the Flash deserves a game in honesty.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
It looks like it could have had some good potential. Looks like the Combat was based on single button presses and enemies always had a "A" "B" "X" "Y" above their head. That could make combat very repeatative. Although, knows where it could have gone.

It's too bad we won't get to see a finished product.

Mar 16, 2009
It seems like Spiderman 2 where nearly half the fun comes just from exploring your surroundings... and with the Flash your surroundings are only limited to space and the depths of the ocean.
Why'd you show us this? Now I'm bummed from not having a game like this.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
RenegadeAngel said:
It's a little bit like Spiderman Eeb of Shadows meets Mirror's Edge... With speed.
I saw a lot of overlap with Mirror's Edge as well...the art style and the emphasis on running. In fact, it almost looked like an expansion pack for Mirror's Edge.