CryEngine 3 Demo Video Will Blow Your Mind

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Let me put it this way: When CryTek says that its CryEngine 3 is "next-gen ready," it isn't kidding.

[gametrailers=57637]

I'll admit that at least half of the above video is meant to showcase what CryEngine 3 can do to potential clients who are interested in licensing it for their games, because there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo about "Deferred Lighting" and "Integrated Voxel Objects," but let's not focus on that for the moment. Right now, we are here to look at the pretties. And it is very, very pretty.

We see examples of the engine running on the Xbox 360 and PS3 just fine - and yes, it looks stunning - but the real visual treats come when the engine shows scenes on what one can only assume is a top-of-the-line gaming PC. Yes, CryTek has been focusing intently on making CryEngine 3 scalable to run on lesser-end machines and consoles, but when you put this baby on a tiny gaming god and turn her loose? Sweet baby Moses. There's one bit of a girl running through a forest that almost approaches photorealism - though not quite there.

Some of the development tech might be interesting even to non-gamers, though - for example, the engine's ability to have edits made on the PC affect both the Xbox 360 and PS3 build of a game in real-time, which should make creating multiplatform games a bit simpler.

If you're really into the tech of it, there's a fairly in-depth analysis over at Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-next-gen-vision-blog-entry]. Me? I'm just gonna stare at the visuals for a little while longer.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
My god...that was beautiful, we are getting closer and closer to photo-realism, it was near impossible to tell that the nature scenes were animation

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Oh yeah, this video is sweet and delicious.
Pardon me while I go get a towel to mop up the drool from my keyboard.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
That is awesome.

To bad it would absolutely murder my computer.
Why? If your PC can run most of the multi-platform games (Prototype or Fallout 3 come to mind), you should have no problems with CryEngine 3.

Sure, it will look the best on a high-end monster PC, but we regular schmoes will also get to see some nice stuff.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Wow; I bet a game like Timesplitters 4 would run well on that.

hint, hint; Crytek

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Duuuuuuhhhhhhh.........

Forgive me while I drown in my own drool.

One of my friends spent over 3000 pounds on his computer. It should look amazing on that monster.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
So, Crysis 2 is coming out for the console's next year. Firstly, it's going to use this engine right? Secondly, HOLY SHIT THAT'S AMAZING AND WILL BREAK MY XBOX.

lewism247

Aug 1, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:

Let me put it this way: When CryTek says that its CryEngine 3 is "next-gen ready," it isn't kidding.

[gametrailers=57637]

I'll admit that at least half of the above video is meant to showcase what CryEngine 3 can do to potential clients who are interested in licensing it for their games, because there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo about "Deferred Lighting" and "Integrated Voxel Objects," but let's not focus on that for the moment. Right now, we are here to look at the pretties. And it is very, very pretty.

We see examples of the engine running on the Xbox 360 and PS3 just fine - and yes, it looks stunning - but the real visual treats come when the engine shows scenes on what one can only assume is a top-of-the-line gaming PC. Yes, CryTek has been focusing intently on making CryEngine 3 scalable to run on lesser-end machines and consoles, but when you put this baby on a tiny gaming god and turn her loose? Sweet baby Moses. There's one bit of a girl running through a forest that almost approaches photorealism - though not quite there.

Some of the development tech might be interesting even to non-gamers, though - for example, the engine's ability to have edits made on the PC affect both the Xbox 360 and PS3 build of a game in real-time, which should make creating multiplatform games a bit simpler.

If you're really into the tech of it, there's a fairly in-depth analysis over at Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-next-gen-vision-blog-entry]. Me? I'm just gonna stare at the visuals for a little while longer.

Damn that's amazing.

One thing worries me.

What if team ninja gets ahold of it?

Yudas

Apr 30, 2009
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Meh, who needs graphics.
If you ask me they're the least important factor of a game
Gotta agree with you on this, graphics are so overra... OMG THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Riding on Thermals

Aug 28, 2008
Tales of Golden Sun said:
Meh, who needs graphics.
If you ask me they're the least important factor of a game
Agreed. Unless the games are as fun to play as they are too watch then what have you really gained?

Though, I swear I thought that portrait of the guy blinking was a real person.