YouTube Killed the Video Star

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
YouTube Killed the Video Star

YouTube removes all the fun from suffering through a bad movie just for the few great moments.

Read Full Article

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, of course it has for music videos definitely, I'd rather watch the video I want without commercials or in some cases censorship, and not have to watch TV in hopes of seeing said video on the so called "Music" Channels. It also doesn't help that the music I listen to is either very old, or of a genre that doesn't get much if any air play.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
... Yes. What you just saw is real: an unlicensed Turkish action movie wherein Captain America teams up with Mexican wrestling legend El Santo to fight the evil crime-boss Spider-Man. Want more? Try "Indian Superman."
Thats the one thing I'm always embarrassed for being a Turk is. We make unlicensed movies with the most random choice of characters and for some reason Spider-Man is the main villain.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
MovieBob said:
YouTube removes all the fun from suffering through a bad movie just for the few great moments.
Yes, well, I suppose it was only fair, given what Video did to the Radio Star...

Bad puns aside, I'm inclined to agree. Yeah, there have been a few rare occasions where someone wants to set up an all night movie session of old (but fantastically horrendous) movies using a projector, some canvas (or a side of a house), and an appropriately sparse clearing in the woods (or next to your house), but beyond those occasions, the Grindhouse style in theaters (well before my time but not unappreciated on occasion)is probably on it's last blood-coughing gasp before if forever kicks it. At least, until some quirky directors come by and rez the poor thing against its consent, heaving up its butchered, battered corpse as a shiny beacon of classical resurgence, all whilst trying to claim that as it is now is how it was then...

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
this just sounds like an annoying hipster/emo/indie saying how he/she/it discovered this great band/movie/cartoon/game which they only like ironically and how they where into to that (ironically or not) band/movie/cartoon/game before it got all popular.

sure, you make some points along the way, but i just cant shake off the feeling that i just willingly listened to you whine about how something got mainstream and now you cant impress smelly women whit your knowledge of it anymore and also because now that people know about it, it sucks and sold out.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
... Yes. What you just saw is real: an unlicensed Turkish action movie wherein Captain America teams up with Mexican wrestling legend El Santo to fight the evil crime-boss Spider-Man. Want more? Try "Indian Superman."
Thats the one thing I'm always embarrassed for being a Turk is. We make unlicensed movies with the most random choice of characters and for some reason Spider-Man is the main villain.
Well, not only do you do that, and then have Captain America team up with a Mexican Wrestler and fight with him in a graveyard, but somehow the filmmakers also found it fit to use copyrighted music in the movie. (In a clip reel that I saw, I thought I heard what sounded like a badly-rendered recording of Arcana by Edgard Varèse. It's probably the silliest and most hilarious use of it, too.)

But anyways, good insights, MB.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
My problem with 'the video stars' in terms of music videos, is that the music industry seems have entirely forgotten what a music video IS.

It's a promotional video made to advertise music or an artist.

Therefore, surely someone who's willing to distribute it worldwide, to millions for free, they've got to be SO grateful for all that no expense publicity, right?

no, they're stomping around with their lawyers all over the net throwing hissy fits.

It's like if I turned the front of my house into a giant COKE billboard, and they sent their lawyers around to demand I stop using their image.

They really need to realise that most people are not carrying around a laptop streaming the videos instead of buying the music. Sure there's a lot of people pirating the music, but the videos are not the big problem.

I also realise this isn't really what this thread was about, but it made me think of this, so I'm gonna type it anyway.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
swaki said:
this just sounds like an annoying hipster/emo/indie saying how he/she/it discovered this great band/movie/cartoon/game which they only like ironically and how they where into to that (ironically or not) band/movie/cartoon/game before it got all popular.

sure, you make some points along the way, but i just cant shake off the feeling that i just willingly listened to you whine about how something got mainstream and now you cant impress smelly women whit your knowledge of it anymore and also because now that people know about it, it sucks and sold out.
This. If something is bad, I don't want to watch it. So, I'll settle for just the good parts. If I miss out on some of your nostalgia, oh well. It's not my problem. It's not your problem either, really. You just choose to cry about it.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Agreed... I watched some of Pulp Fiction on it and it kind of blew everything up for me...

When I saw the actual movie I already knew how awesome Samuel Jackson was and how great the movie was I didn't have to make up my mind on anything...

I've since resolved to never looking at anything I haven't already seen.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Sure, it's all very convenient, and maybe I'm being an old fart about it, but I really get the sense that seeing these things piecemeal with such ease is robbing people of the experience of "finding" them
This is pretty incorrect. I'm a fan of the shitty low budget horror movies and there are tons and tonnes of DVDs lining the bargain shelves. I buy them 5 at a time and there are usually only three good scenes between them.* It's such a rare occasion that I have begun celebrating when I find a truly good movie in all that garbage (like Weirdsville).

* - Here's an example: I just bought 5 movies from my place of business that cost me a pretty penny (Andre the Butcher, Brother's War, Return to Horror High, The Back Lot Murders, and Vampz). Of these 5 films the only worthwhile scenes are Ron Jeremy stapling his severed arm back to his body (Andre the Butcher), a before-he-was-famous George Clooney hamming up his scenes (Return to Horror High), and a character getting his testicles in a vice before getting a "Mexican Necktie" (The Back Lot Murders). Trust me, you can still get the experience of sifting through the trash in the hopes of finding that one good scene if you still want the experience.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think Bob Chipman understands the fine art of "Mst-ing" a movie. Every horrible movie has a reason to be watched (I even own Night of the Lepus), and that reason is to remember our lord and saviors Tom Servo, Crow T Robot, and Mike Nelson. (And Joel, if you're into him I guess)

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Furburt said:
I never watch things on youtube before seeing them. Except for The Room, and that was just so gloriously bad I couldn't wait. 'You're tearing me apart Lisa!'
Ha_ha_ha_ha_ha *makes sex* Ha_ha_ha_ha

IgneusMaeror

May 27, 2009
Mr. Chipman certainly has a point. He's referring to an already worldwide phenomenon, focusing on its effect on the movie-goers. Each and every generation gets even more spoiled, they get straight to dessert without even having to look at the vegetables. This is basically the way to sell things nowadays. 5 awesome minutes out of 96 just don't cut it anymore. I, your average mindless consumer, have paid for this sh-t and am therefore entitled to extract every bit of amusement/entertainment out of it. Effortlessly. The entertainment has to be served on a platter. It's why the 'blockbuster' movies are but a concatenation of scenes with loud, blinking objects presented with ridiculously high cuts per minute rates. Anything else in between them (explaining the fast-moving, loud, blinking objects for example) would bore the audience if stretched longer than a few minutes. That's just how it is, anything that comes out is reduced to its' "best parts" in the eye of, and in case of the mentioned YouTube videos, BY the consumers.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I doubt "bad movies with great single scenes" will ever truly go away.

There will always be people who don't understand how to make a real GOOD movie, but REALLY want to make movies. They'll find a way to get funding, or make the movie with their own shit and throw it out onto the airwaves..

And these movies, may or may not, have truly awesome moments.

You may be able to get the highlights of these movies on Youtube, but the accidental nature of a lot of these favorite scenes make it so that they'll always crop up eventually.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The appeal of the grindhouse aesthetic with modern filmmakers is just a bit of history repeating. Look at the movie people in my and Bob's generation grew up with, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. These movies were not things unto themselves but the filmmaker paying homage to the movies (or movie serials in these cases) of their youth. After a hundred years of film, the medium is becoming self-referential. Filmmakers are paying homage to the movies they grew up with to which a later generation will pay homage. Now there's a scary thought.

As someone who enjoys bad movies as much as good ones, I'm a little disheartened by the youtube generation's circulation of clips. however, it is inevitable. We don't live in the Information Age. We live in the Convenience Age. Finding clips of the "best" parts of bad movies is just easier than slogging through terrible movies to find these parts, which is a time-consuming process. Why spend two hours watching a movie when all you want is the three minute clip?

Where this may have far-reaching industry effects is that most people will stop at watching the clip vs the entire feature. Why buy Star Crash on DVD when you can watch the good parts on Youtube? (Long live Marjoe Gortner!) An entire branch of the industry is in serious jeopardy if the bargain bin fodder is no longer profitable. And if one branch of the film industry no longer bears fruit, the entire tree may wither.

Perhaps that's a bit Chicken Little. At most it may mean a serious restructuring of the film industry to keep itself profitable. Some companies may go under while new ones, more savvy to the needs of the new market, will spring up and flourish. It's just good business. What it means for people like me, though, is adjusting to the sort of product this new market prefers and lamenting why they don't make the movies they used to.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
swaki said:
well shake it off and pay attention next time because you missed the big point. it's not about bragging rights, it's about the personal experience of cinema-seeking. That's what is disappearing with youtube, the journey and reward of finding these little bits of treasure. Whether that's a good or bad thing is subjective, I'm certainly not opposed to skipping the bad parts of a bad movie just to see an awesome lightsabre battle with a claymation robot. then again, there's no way of knowing what movies are bad and good without watching them for yourself (Zombie for instance is a kick-ass movie - the zombie-shark fight is just icing on the cake!)

Strange coincidence Bob, I just ran across Q in my local video store just a couple weeks ago, was wondering what the hell it was. Video Spectrum in Bowling Green OH is a cornucopia of these great old dreck-fests, with its massive VHS horror section.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
it's not only youtube, all footage can be skipped through or missed completely.