Hands-On: Dante's Inferno

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Hands-On: Dante's Inferno

Let's get this out the way: Dante's Inferno is a God of War clone. It's not reminiscent of God of War, it doesn't have passing similarity to God of War, it is a straight up copy of everything but Kratos' underwear. But you shouldn't let that stop you from playing it, because it's actually pretty damn fun.

Dante's Inferno loosely follows the epic poem of the same name, but instead of Dante being a sensitive poet, he's such a badass that he arms himself with Death's own scythe before fighting his way through the nine circles of hell. I played through part of the Lust level while here at GameX and from the brief portion I saw, the game should more than live up to its M rating. I started off small, slaying female lust demons with what appeared to be tongues coming out of their nether regions, but gradually worked my way up to killing larger satyr-esque creatures. Dante has two weapons at his disposal, the scythe and the cross. The scythe is good for up-close and personal hacking, not to mention huge and devastating combos, while the cross is more about big bursts of energy that lay waste to whatever's within reach. You can charge up either weapon for stronger attacks, or just tap the button repeatedly to pull off a combo.

Dante will also learn four different kinds of magic, though I only got to try the frost spell and the "lust energy," which surrounded him in a ball of purple lightning. The ice spell traveled in a straight line and was a bit difficult to use, given that the enemies I was fighting tended to move around far too quickly in order for me to get a bead on them.

As you kill demons, you collect souls, which you can then use to power up your scythe and cross. The kind of soul you collect depends on whether you choose to punish or redeem your intended victim; punished souls power up your scythe, while redeemed ones add oomph to your cross. A skill tree for each weapon lets you improve each one as you see fit, and you can strike whatever balance between the two that suits your preferred play style.

You won't spend all of your time bathing in blood, however; you'll also have some basic puzzles of the "flip this switch/move that box" variety to solve. But these brain teasers are mere pauses in between bouts of fast-paced chaos. The battles with the lust demons and the satyrs were just the warm-up for a boss fight with Cleopatra, who is about the size of the Colossus of Rhodes in this game, but more naked. Much, much more naked. Let me tell you, fighting for your life while enormous naked breasts dangle overhead is unsettling enough, but when the unbaptized babies start pouring out of the nipples? It's really just plain creepy.

Yes, Dante's Inferno is utterly, completely copying God of War, but you know what? It's doing a really damn good job of it. It's absolutely stunning, with huge set pieces, deliciously detailed environments and enemies that may force you to seek some kind of psychotherapy later on down the line. The combat is responsive, fast, and fun - chunking that scythe into the skull of some demon is incredibly satisfying, as is harvesting the souls you need to become more powerful.

Dante's Inferno is due out on February 9th. If you enjoyed God of War's gameplay, I think you're going to want to give it a shot.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
I'm placing my faith in this.

Many will see it as a butchering of literature, but hopefully even 1% of the people that play it may read the poem.

If they do, I'll gladly accept its inaccuracies and blatant, outright offense mongering.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
This game looks great and I did read the poem, but I don't care if they play around with the story. They want a hack n' slash game set in Hell and Dante Alighieri's poem has a great setting. The scenery is amazing and the gameplay looks really smooth.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Interesting. It does sounds like this game is going to at least be visually...unique. As if fuss hadn't already being caused by the slaughtering of unbaptised babies, now we're going to have them pouring out of the nipples of a giant naked woman? Fascinating.

It'll be intriguing to see how they chose to portray the rest of the sins in the game with regards to what adverseries one may face. Lust and Gluttony may somewhat explain themselves but I wonder the likes of Wrath and Envy will be handled.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Slash Dementia said:
This game looks great and I did read the poem, but I don't care if they play around with the story. They want a hack n' slash game set in Hell and Dante Alighieri's poem has a great setting. The scenery is amazing and the gameplay looks really smooth.
So why not just set it in hell and give the game its own [probably lackluster, but less obnoxious] story?

I still think that this is a ridiculously horrible idea and will not be buying it under any circumstances. And I'm a big fan of God of War, too.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I've read the poem and I'll give the game a go. I loved Dead Space, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do here.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
I loved the poem and I am perfectly happy with the idea of walking in Dante's footsteps on the way to Purgatorio. I'm fine with the fact that they gave him some fighting skills, it wouldn't be fun if you just walked from cinema scene to cinema scene (hint hint, game developers who still find a way to make character choices nonexistent even in a supposed choice-based system). You might as well just read the poem if that's what you want.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Dante will also learn four different kinds of magic, though I only got to try the frost spell and the "lust energy," which surrounded him in a ball of purple lightning.
So lust energy lets you surround yourself in purple lightning? Awesome! I'll have to try that next time I'm at a strip club. XD

In all seriousness this game will probably be pretty decent, provided, as mjhhiv pointed out, you aren't looking for a compelling storyline. Personally, I think this game would have been far more compelling if they had actually managed to have the main character more closely approximate the protagonist in Dante's poem. Knowing they just replaced Dante with a name-changed/pallette swapped Kratos has drained a lot of the anticipation I had for this project.

Shoot, they could have even replaced Dante with Dante from the Devil May Cry series. He went to Hell at the end of DMC2, right? They could have even had Dante meet up with his brother Vergil; then you'd have both of the original poem's protagonists (sort of) tag-teaming it through nine levels of hell and all kinds of ridiculous fanboy-pleasing action.

Actually, that's an even worse idea than what the developers decided to do. Never mind.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
mjhhiv said:
Slash Dementia said:
So why not just set it in hell and give the game its own [probably lackluster, but less obnoxious] story?
Then the game could have easily faded into obscurity. EA is trying to sell this game on controversy.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
As someone who has read The Divine Comedy, this really pisses me off.

Butchering my fucking literature.

I don't care if it's a good hack 'n' slash game, it's pissing on the beauty of the poem.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
fighting for your life while enormous naked breasts dangle overhead is unsettling enough,
but when the unbaptized babies start pouring out of the nipples?

Also, I've read the poem, and... I'm really put off by how Dante goes out of his way to insult people he's not too found of. I didn't really study it, so I don't know if those people were dead or not when he published the poem, and I can't really figure out which would be worse. Then again, I for some reason can only appreciate poems if I read them on their native language, and since I don't even speak modern day Italian, let alone Renaissence Italian, the Comedy is forever forbidden to me.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Does God of War truly own the concept of someone running around with melee equipment, killing nearby things at the push of a button?

Perhaps we can discount Diablo which has more a top-down RTS feel, but Rune was 3D and third person. Good times.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
iain62a said:
As someone who has read The Divine Comedy, this really pisses me off.

Butchering my fucking literature.

I don't care if it's a good hack 'n' slash game, it's pissing on the beauty of the poem.
EVERYTHING you just said. There were ways EA could have done the game that wouldn't have been piddling all over the characters and the poem (I still am ready to scream at how they made Beatrice a damsel in distress and made it so her lack of faith in Dante caused her to go to hell; we'll just ignore the fact that Dante considered his courtly love of Beatrice to be the thing that saved him from damning himself, and it was her intervention (she had died more than a decade before the poem is set) that caused Dante's journey; she saw he had 'lost his way' and arranged his trip through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven to help him find it again.

I'm too thoroughly angry with everything this game has done, especially since it didn't have to, that I could scream. Had they given everyone different names, I don't think I'd be so royally cheesed off at it. But everything they've done is so wrong (and I laugh at them claiming to be following the imagery in the Inferno. Last I checked, there were no demonic babies, Limbo was actually kinda nice, and the Lust circle was just wind blowing all over the place).

The Random One said:
Also, I've read the poem, and... I'm really put off by how Dante goes out of his way to insult people he's not too found of. I didn't really study it, so I don't know if those people were dead or not when he published the poem, and I can't really figure out which would be worse. Then again, I for some reason can only appreciate poems if I read them on their native language, and since I don't even speak modern day Italian, let alone Renaissence Italian, the Comedy is forever forbidden to me.
All but one person was already dead, and he explained the one person still alive by having Virgil explain that if someone hit the tipping point for wickedness, their soul was sucked down to Hell while they were still alive. Seems like a stretch, but hey.

As for Florentine Italian, which Dante spoke and the Divine Comedy is written it, it's what eventually became modern Italian--it was because of the Divine Comedy that Italian standardized into what had been until then just one dialect of many. As a result, the Italian of the Divine Comedy is very similar to modern standard Italian. There are some spelling changes, but it's so minor that anyone who knows or has studied modern Italian can read it with very few problems.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
yeah_so_no said:
That's exactly why they did butcher the source material. Tell people that your new game is just a God of War clone in hell and people will probably ignore it. But when you have it based off of a famous piece of literature, then it will get a lot more attention. Everything in this game has been designed to create controversy.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
yeah_so_no said:
That's exactly why they did butcher the source material. Tell people that your new game is just a God of War clone in hell and people will probably ignore it. But when you have it based off of a famous piece of literature, then it will get a lot more attention. Everything in this game has been designed to create controversy.
Everything, from the game itself to EA's appalling advertising for it--from the faux-Christian protest to the "Commit Acts of Lust" to the let's bribe the game reviewers nonsense. There's a reason why I, and everyone I know who games (oddly enough, a lot of the people I know who game the most are also Classicists--one actually teaches Latin), won't be touching the game with a ten-foot pole.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
God people need to get off their fucking high horse. If they made it closer to the real story it would be a fucking movie.

As if the Comedy is somehow off-limits. Get real.

Yes I read story and it was fucking boring as hell. My image of hell is a lot less tame than the one put forth. Who the fuck would want to go on a sight seeing tour of hell in the first place?

At least the game looks a lot more in line with my image of hell. Granted, I won't be getting it anyway because its published by EA. Fucking grow up people.

EDIT: Shit, ninja'd.