Boston Dynamics Shows Off Anthropomorphic Robot That Doesn't Suck

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Boston Dynamics Shows Off Anthropomorphic Robot That Doesn't Suck

We may have seen robots that walk upright on two legs before, but most of them are kind of awful. The PETMAN, coming from Boston Dynamics, is anything but.

The PETMAN is an anthropomorphic robot designed for a bit of a boring purpose: testing chemical protection clothing. I know, this is extremely important and could save lives, but any robot not intended to launch missiles is a waste of a robot in my opinion. PETMAN at least should be the best damn chemical suit tester in town, intended to eventually be able to crawl and do suit stressing calisthenics while also simulating human physiology by sweating and regulating its own temperature.

The PETMAN's 30 month development program should see a final model delivered in 2011, with the 17 month build phase already underway as we can see from the video. I don't know why but the big lens in the front of it makes me think it should be used for Google Street View, drawing the ire of society and causing a huge uproar over robots invading our privacy. I just can't imagine a bipedal robot like this only being used to test chemical suits; eventually it will have to be used for something else as well (like launching missiles). If you've never seen PETMAN's cousin, the BigDog, here is an older overview video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-AGWq0k_Mo] for that disturbingly lifelike robot as well.

Boston Dynamics undoubtedly makes the coolest robots I've ever seen, and they have the secondary trait of looking similar to example of the BigDog walking with soldiers [http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/File:Metal_Gear_Gekkou.JPG] brings things into a more realistic perspective, showing the support robots like this could offer the troops.

(Via: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/boston-dynamics-petman-predicts-a-future-of-man-as-pet-video/])

r0qu3

Jul 28, 2009
Wow thats really really nice...

...also my mother who happened to look over my shoulder and being a nurse, said he exactly walks
like most stroke-patients...:)

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
Is anyone else having starwars flash backs? =D

I find it a little.... uncomforting that it doesn't move like 'something' instead it moves like 'someone'.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As I understand it a good deal of the Tech in the Metal Gear Games is as well researched as the tech in a Tom Clancy Novel.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Damn, that's creepy...

I'm just waiting for the headline: Boston Dynamics has been reverse engineering secret alien technology...

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Until I see one of these that can operate for days on the same power supply, I don't think the tech will go anywhere serious. We need our energy generation tech to catch up to our engineering tech for the next big leap.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Go to their youtube channel and check out their video for BigDog Reflexes....

this group has made a four legged robot that can handle with ease slippery slopes, being kicked or roughly shoved, can easily transverse mud and sand... it is simply astonishing.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Now they need to figure out how to get the weight distribution correct so they can mount chainguns and RPGs on it.

Fun for the whole family!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
r0qu3 said:
Wow thats really really nice...

...also my mother who happened to look over my shoulder and being a nurse, said he exactly walks
like most stroke-patients...:)
That made me giggle.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Did you hear how loud the big dog was? I dont think that will be going onto the field ANY time soon!

I like it though. The walking robot reminded me of a walker from Starwars! Now that I could see on a Battlefield!!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
cobrausn said:
Until I see one of these that can operate for days on the same power supply, I don't think the tech will go anywhere serious. We need our energy generation tech to catch up to our engineering tech for the next big leap.
That's a good point. I know there are mini-nuclear batteries that have been demonstrated recently, but I guess they are only meant to power small devices.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
It's movements are Silent Hill-esque.
It is scaring me.
Get it away!
This plus that guy shouldn't push that robot... it's going to remember who pushed it when Skynet comes online.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Wow, that was awesome, especially when he pushed it and it didn't fall over. There are many humans that aren't as stable as that.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
BigDog looks and sounds kind of like Combine Hunter. If only it could shoot desintegrator flechettes.