Car Smashing Returns in Super Street Fighter IV

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Car Smashing Returns in Super Street Fighter IV

The glory and fame that come from being the most powerful fighter in the world are nice, but there's nothing quite like beating up a car.

Famitsu scans and a new trailer for Super Street Fighter IV have confirmed the re-inclusion of bonus stages into the series. More specifically, the classic car and barrel smashing bonus stages from the original Street Fighter II.

piles of bricks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xsqXo8pW2c], flaming oil drums, and plates of glass if I remember correctly. These acts seem so unnecessary, but if I could shoot flames out of my hands I probably wouldn't ever stop attacking cars.

The greatest example of a car smashing bonus stage actually comes from Final Fight, where Capcom brought a little reality into the situation by having a thug walk in after the car is destroyed that says "Oh, my car" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_gpw9ho7Y] as his tears fall down onto the concrete. I've never felt so bad and so good at the same time. The new Super Street Fighter IV mode doesn't appear to have anything happen that is quite as classic, but this trailer does show a man taking photographs of Ryu after he has finished his vandalism, most likely to be used to blackmail Ryu lest he send the photos to the police.

Other modes now revealed to be in Super Street Fighter IV are team battle, endless battle, a replay channel, and probably some other stuff that doesn't compare in the least to killing a car with your bare fists. Now, if we can just get something on par with a plane destruction bonus stage in Super Street Fighter IV Turbo: Championship Edition.

(Via: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/06/super-street-fighter-iv-trailer-showcases-new-online-modes/])

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
As silly as they are, I actually kind of like these little minigames. I'm glad they made it in the game.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
i wonder what happens when i use my ultra move. What about a command grab, how does zangief piledrive a car?

laryri

May 19, 2008
I like how they actually included a spamming Sagat in the trailer. Good representation of the game's online play.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Sweet!
Now its time to brush up on my car smashing skills.
(goes out side)
HADOKEN!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
The first thing with the silhouettes seemed to be some kind of spectator mode. Or not, heh.

Can't wait.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Super Street Fighter IV Turbo: Championship Edition.
I believe you left out Hyper, EX, Remix and HD. At some point we'll probably get an Overcharged SF game.

I remember those minigames. The car one was never that hard for me, but that's because I usually used Chu Li, so it was just mashing the kick buttons.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Right, like Ryu wouldn't just Hadouken the fuck out of the police officers.

Fnar fnar.

Burst6 said:
i wonder what happens when i use my ultra move. What about a command grab, how does zangief piledrive a car?
Let's remember that he manages to grab the fat dude (forgot his name), leap twelve feet into the air, and smash his face into the ground. And fatty doesn't suffer a cerebral edema. The game is not realistic.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Let's remember that he manages to grab Rufus, leap twelve feet into the air, and smash his face into the ground. And fatty doesn't suffer a cerebral edema. The game is not realistic.
I wasn't saying he can't do it, i was asking how he would do it. I'm already planning to buy the game, but the ability to piledrive cars would make me go after it the first day.

and i reminded you of his name.

Museigan

Nov 7, 2009
I missed the beating up of the cars, it was always my favorite part of the entire game -- and I'm a little surprised there is a person that actually tried it in real life.

... The question is if you saw the guy tearing apart your car bare handed, would you try to stop him?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Wait...so you have to buy a new Street Fighter game?

Cause Super Street Fighter 4 looks exactly the same...only with one add-on...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
hansari said:
Wait...so you have to buy a new Street Fighter game?

Cause Super Street Fighter 4 looks exactly the same...only with one add-on...
Don't remember SFII, SFII: Turbo Edition, and Super SFII? They just added on 4 new characters and a couple gameplay modes. They're just reminding us of yesteryear when they used to gouge us all.