Activision Files for Drum Hero Trademark

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Files for Drum Hero Trademark

Activision [http://www.activision.com] has filed a trademark for Drum Hero, a new music game which will finally shine the spotlight on the band member most likely to suffer a horrific yet amusingly bizarre death.

Nobody wants to be the drummer. Russ Pitts pointed that out in a Hero [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/smile_nod/4988-Smile-and-Nod-Is-it-Too-Loud-or-Am-I-Too-Old] franchise and has thus filed a trademark for Drum Hero.

Drum Hero could very well end up as a sort of tangential tie-in to the current Guitar Hero or trademark filing [http://www.bandhero.com/] covers a wide range of products including "toys, hand-held games with liquid crystal displays, musical toys; action figures and accessories therefor; arcade games; coin-operated video games; electric action toys; handheld unit for playing electronic video games [and] electronic toy drums."

Of course, nobody knows whether or not the game is even in the works at this point and it's quite possible that Activision simply wants to nail down another musical Hero title for future considerations. The publisher told CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=226877?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS] that it would not comment on "rumors and speculation," including reports that a special "Rick Allen Mode" Achievement would be awarded to players who finish the game with one hand tied behind their upside-down Corvette.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
... Why? Why do we need even more of this crap? If people want to play instruments they should pick up the real deal and DO SOME FUCKING WORK to acquire the necessary skills!!!

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Nope. I don't see this ending well. Especially when Nintendo files a lawsuit for copyright infringement on "Wii Drums".

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
In the original Guitar Hero (the good one) after the song, sometimes the drummer would explode.

Bunch of sellouts.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ollie596 said:
Oh for f*** sake this is getting ridiculous.
Well its probably only going to get worse - "Keyboard Hero", "Cello Hero", "Bard Hero", "Epic Hero (an RPG)", "Hero Hero", and finally, "Activison Hero", where you have to spin out as many 'Hero' titles as you can before the cash cow dies.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Damn it! Where's my Accordion Hero?

I will probably end up getting this just to dick around on. It also reminds me I need to get a drum kit instead of just hitting my legs with any random stick I find.

Nicragomi

Jul 12, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Oh for f*** sake this is getting ridiculous.
It started getting ridiculous when Band Hero reared its ugly head.

OT: This is starting to be a bit much, I think Activision have Hero-itis, and see dollar signs for just slapping anything with the word "Hero" on it and make money.

I for one am eagerly awaiting "Cello Hero" or "Ocarina Hero" to come out in 2012. o_O

Edit: I did go get DJ Hero just because the turntable concept intrigued me. DJ Hero was a good buy imo.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
As an actual drummer I challenge Activision to make a drum simulator as accurate as rock band's.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mr Chalk that last joke is in incredibly bad taste.

Good man.

Since they already have drumming modes, could it be possible they are just taking the trademark to stop stop cheeky little company grabbing the name for it's cheap TV plug in clones? It would seem a little redundant to have a drumming specific game unless the drumkit was something special...

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Sonicron said:
... Why? Why do we need even more of this crap? If people want to play instruments they should pick up the real deal and DO SOME FUCKING WORK to acquire the necessary skills!!!
Relax. I feel the same way, but this isn't the place to express it.

Now they have the chance to really focus on the drums. Make lots o' drums with songs that actually would require something from you. Or even better, make it possible to 'improvise' 'n' stuff (within a barrier ofc, or flaws could appear as improv), and not being just a slave for the red and blue buttons on the screen.

Anyways, I'm not one for [insert instrument] Hero, since none of the games come close to the real deal (yet).