Activision Files for Drum Hero Trademark

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
"... the strange thing was that it wasn't his own vomit."

im suprised noone besides mister chalk has quoted spinal tap yet... hmm.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I reckon they might be using this avenue as a chance to design a better working, reliable and more awesome looking drum kit:

Rock Band: too simple but reliable, though noisy and unstable it proves to still be working after time.
Guitar Hero: cymbals break instantly, the pedal is dodgy and the drums stop responding after time.
ION: Very awesome looking and reliable but not portable or sold in stores in most places.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Fbuh said:
I can't wait for Riverdance Hero
That sounds more like a DDR spin-off title rather than a "Noun Hero" successor.

Jabbawocky said:
Next up Bass Hero followed by Vocal Hero...
We've already got one of those. It's called Singstar.

I personally am waiting out for Oboe Hero!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Glad I didn't spend money on the last 300 guitar hero games, finally here comes the one I want to play!

FYI, I'm a pretty damn good drummer (on real life actual drums, the kind you have to tune and break your back lugging up and down stairs and have to spend hundreds of dollars getting reskinned). And I look forward to besting this thing on Expert.

Not so much the hand-held-LED-action-figure-electronic-motion-toy-accessory-cover-all-our-bases-with-legaleese spin-off stuff.

EDIT: Activision will earn MEGA-ULTRA BONUS POINTS and a year supply of homemade from-scratch(-from-the-box) brownies courtesy of my mom

IF

they include MIDI hook ups. I have a set of v-drums and by god, I want to use them to play a video game.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Nexus Zef said:
Jabbawocky said:
So it took them long enough to make the entire band and now they realise theres money to be made from splitting them all up into seperate instruments because they can basically repakage the same game several times over for different instrument. That plan is so damn clever that I wish I came up with it. I would have all the stupid gamers money in my pocket in no time.

Next up Bass Hero followed by Vocal Hero...
And after that week will be Guitar Tech Hero, Drum Tech Hero, Roadie Hero, Tour Manager Hero, Sound Check Hero, Record Label Executive Hero, Oreo Hero.

I actually realised something after reading this thread, the only thing with more stupid incarnations than the [word] Hero games are the ones that people come up with to mock them in the first place. Until Activision get around to making them all that is.

A few more for their researchers.

Lemon Hero
Chair Hero
Paint Hero
Goalpost hero
Cloud hero
Convection Oven hero
Dust Hero
Laminate Flooring Hero
Chutney Hero
Bamboo Stick Hero
Wax-on Wax-off Hero
Pen Hero
Flickering Fluorescent Tube Hero
Archimedes Hero
Pocket Fluff Hero
When? When do we get Drug Hero/Heroine? It's a logical successor to the Rock Band games.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Sonicron said:
Chipperz said:
Sonicron said:
... Why? Why do we need even more of this crap? If people want to play instruments they should pick up the real deal and DO SOME FUCKING WORK to acquire the necessary skills!!!
You're right, of course.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to the dark ages and fight dragons with my flaming longsword.
Huh? I'm not against progress in general (and definitely not against video games in particular); it's just that to me the whole concept of the [Instrument] Hero games comes off as insulting (or at the very least pathetic) to folks (like me) who actually spend years of their life learning how to play a real instrument, cobbling a band together from scratch etc. If that position makes me seem snobby or elitist, then so be it, I won't budge on this point.
His point is that dragon slayers would likewise be offended by Dragon Age: Origins. It's escapism, us musicians get to laugh and savor the glory of actually being talented.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Does this mean that they'll actually have a drum set that resembles an actual drum set? Not that I'll play their POS rhythm game.

Dissnitive

Nov 10, 2009
Meh, Activison has released so many of these titles....that pointing out their repetitiveness has somehow lost its "flavor" to me.

Activison has made sinking an entire genre into the ground an art form, it's almost like a very slow motion train wreck.

Meh, I still enjoy playing Rhythm games (of the Harmonix variety) on a daily bases though.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
This is beggining to get silly. What next? A Legend of Zelda cross over called "Ocarina Hero" with Navi in vocals? Talk about milking an idea as it steps into the grave...

Guitar Hero was a good formula, and Band Hero was a good spin on that formula. But like I said, now it's getting silly

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Journeythroughhell said:
Next year: Flute Hero
Gaah.
Featuring Jethro Tull and....well, a lot more Jethro Tull!(Does anyone else play the flute?) How many times can you play Aqualung before you get sick of it?

Yeah, they're milking it. Rock Band=Good idea. Drum Hero=Let's face it, they're out of ideas.
Yeah, separating the instruments and selling them with their own game is ridiculous.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
Sonicron said:
Chipperz said:
Sonicron said:
... Why? Why do we need even more of this crap? If people want to play instruments they should pick up the real deal and DO SOME FUCKING WORK to acquire the necessary skills!!!
You're right, of course.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to the dark ages and fight dragons with my flaming longsword.
Huh? I'm not against progress in general (and definitely not against video games in particular); it's just that to me the whole concept of the [Instrument] Hero games comes off as insulting (or at the very least pathetic) to folks (like me) who actually spend years of their life learning how to play a real instrument, cobbling a band together from scratch etc. If that position makes me seem snobby or elitist, then so be it, I won't budge on this point.
His point is that dragon slayers would likewise be offended by Dragon Age: Origins. It's escapism, us musicians get to laugh and savor the glory of actually being talented.
Oh... errr... boy, is my face red right now. ^^° Thanks!

TheKaiserEcho

Nov 8, 2008
Don't we already have drums in Rock Band and Guitar Hero? I mean, why bother giving them their own game, why not just make them better in the other ones?