FIFA 10 Sells 4.5 Million Copies

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
FIFA 10 Sells 4.5 Million Copies

The soccer (football to the civilized world) videogame FIFA 10 has broken records as the fastest selling sports game in the world.

Electronic Arts said today [http://www.easports.com/news/item/file/FIFA-10-Ultimate-Team-Announced] that FIFA 10 has sold over 4.5 million copies worldwide since it was released in Europe on October 1st. EA also claimed that the soccer title was the fastest-selling sports videogame in the world with 1.7 million units sold in Europe in one week. It is currently the best selling game overall in Europe in 2009.

The record numbers keep coming, EA reported that there are on average over 3 million games played each day on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. Between October 1st and November 30th, there have been a total 113 million total online games played over both networks. Those are some pretty impressive numbers for a game that doesn't have "Duty" or "War" in the title.

The game is so popular that EA announced today that it will be releasing a downloadable expansion of sorts called FIFA 10 Ultimate Team, which broadens the ability to manage and play with your fantasy soccer team. With the expansion, you will be able to craft your team from over 7,000 players spanning 27 leagues. Developed by EA Canada in Vancouver, B.C. FIFA 10 Ultimate Team will retail for $4.99 in February, 2010.

The world loves its football, and having played a fair number of FIFA matches in my day, I have to say that the franchise is built on solid gameplay. If FIFA is doing so well around the world, one only wonders what kind of record numbers it would break if it were to really catch on for U.S. gamers. Will FIFA 11 break MW2's numbers?

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Well, they had the Ultimate Team download for the last one as well.
I will personally be adding to the sales of this games as soon as I get my money this week. Sweet, precious money. If only I could keep hold of it.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I don't "get" football in general, I think watching a ball go up and down a pitch with a bunch of pansy rich pricks kicking the ball is not interesting.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
It's the same game over and over again! I'll never understand why people say it's different somehow.

sirdanrhodes said:
I don't "get" football in general, I think watching a ball go up and down a pitch with a bunch of pansy rich pricks kicking the ball is not interesting.
Unless of course someone is injured, properly.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, good for them. Releasing yearly sports titles, and making a profit off of what is, from my limited knowledge (I've only seen critic reviews and a few fan reviews), the best FIFA game in recent memory.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
orangebandguy said:
It's the same game over and over again! I'll never understand why people say it's different somehow.

sirdanrhodes said:
I will admit, that makes me laugh. Also, football riots are greats. Watching the idiot majority beat the shit out of each other over a meaningless game.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
orangebandguy said:

sirdanrhodes said:
I will admit, that makes me laugh. Also, football riots are greats. Watching the idiot majority beat the shit out of each other over a meaningless game.
Of course, football hooliganism is one of the most pointless things ever. It's like a crazy religion to some people.

But it's not enough to make me lose faith in humanity, I'm not that depressing and moody.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Nahh, im just playing witcha.

7000 players?
....im no mathematician but that seams like a lot of players to choose from. :)

You_have_a_name

Feb 25, 2009
:( PES is better, although i did buy FIFA on the first day and have yet to buy Pro that's only because all my friends prefer it though and i need someone to play with.

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
Are you implying that the United States is not part of the civilized world?

Call of Duty World At War has sold 11 Million copies,yet a lot of gamers think of it as more the black sheep of the Call of Duty series.

Personally if I'm going to play a "sports" game on the 360,then it's more likely that it's going to be a version of Madden.

Of course long before any FIFA game or Madden game,there was

TECMO BOWL... :)

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Why?!?! Why do people play these games? It's basically the same game that was released last year. The additions just only justify being DLC, not a brand new game. They don't even deserve to be called video games. If you want to play the sport, get your fat ass of the couch, chair, w/e, get some friends and go play actual game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
AFL makes fair sense being called football in Australia, so I think calling this kind of football soccer is appropriate and "civilised". Bit of an overgeneralisation, methinks. Anyway, once you own one sports game, you pretty much own the rest of the sequels for the next 5 or 6 years, until there are actually noticeable differences.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I may not like football that much anymore, yet only one thing really puts the people of the world in unison:

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
What they need is a nice GTA sandbox after the matches. Because after a ball is kicked up and down a field, and maybe 3 goals max are made. Most countries riot...just for the hell of it...

I'd riot to if my countries root game was that dull. It's like watching chess then going out cow tipping. The game and the after effect don't really mesh well.... and if your country thinks the game is a struggle against another country so deep you'd burn your own house down...

Dodge ball. Just Dodge ball.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I remember playing FIFA 93 on my Genesis. I used to turn off the penalties and slide tackle everyone. Oh, the numerous injuries I caused. Good times. Too bad I'm American and that's the only way to keep me interested in the game.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Me and my D&D group play this before each session.

We have a big "World Cup" style tournament going.

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Woah that's a lot of copies, especially for a soccer game. I didn't know they sold that much. I figured Madden or one of the NBA titles sold the most copies of sports games.

pilo

Sep 25, 2008
sln333 said:
Woah that's a lot of copies, especially for a soccer game. I didn't know they sold that much. I figured Madden or one of the NBA titles sold the most copies of sports games.
Umm id say thats because football (soccer) is more international, and can be played by almost anyone, so its more accesible, i think of it as simpler than Basketball or rugby..etc so its a great sport!

And why it sells? cause teams get renewed each year so it wont be the same feeling playing fifa 2008 than 2010, also it looks better...heh...