Meet the Real Medal of Honor Reboot Bearded Soldier

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Meet the Real Medal of Honor Reboot Bearded Soldier

It turns out that the soldier sporting the "Grizzly Adams" mountain man beard in the promotional image for EA's Medal of Honor reboot is actually a real person, and his name is "Cowboy." I'm not making this up.

Yesterday, EA announced a new game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96487-EA-Announces-New-Medal-of-Honor] in its Medal of Honor FPS series in an effort to revitalize the franchise - overshadowed by Activision's Call of Duty and even EA's own Battlefield - and update it to a modern-day setting.

Interestingly enough, a sticking point for some gamers seemed to be not the idea of a modern MoH, but rather the facial hair sported by the "Tier 1 Operator" soldier in the image. What, we were supposed to believe that this elite operative was sporting a beard that wouldn't have looked out of place on a trapper in the frigid Canadian wilderness - or a homeless guy sleeping in a subway station? Psh, yeah right. No modern-day military force would let their on-duty soldiers end up looking like Grizzly Adams.

Well... actually, as it turns out, they would. cruising in ATVs [http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/meet-the-real-life-hero-behind-medal-of-honor-in-afghanistan].

The next question that comes to mind, of course: Will the new Medal of Honor be Cowboy's story (in a similar vein to what was promised in the lost-in-limbo Six Days in Fallujah), or is this just a case of EA's artists going "Whoa, that dude looks f*ckin' hardcore, let's base our main character on him!"

We'll find out when we get a more in-depth look at the game at next Saturday's Spike VGAs. Maybe Cowboy will be the one presenting the footage. He wouldn't have to say anything to get the audience to quiet down, either - he'd just have to look at them and glare.

...please don't hurt me, Mr. Cowboy, sir.

(Via OPM [http://twitter.com/OPM_UK/status/6299114232])

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow. That's a fantastic beard. It will be a sad day if he dies on duty.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
That is indeed a beard to be feared and respected.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh blimey, never thought I'd see a soldier like that! Badass!

[sub]Please don't kill me Mr. Cowbow sir, I beg of you...[/sub]

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
I think in Afganistan they grow the beards out as a bow to the local culture. I remember watching a special where they said tribal leaders have a hard time taken a man with no facial hair seriously.

Herb sewell

Mar 30, 2009
I hope one day to have a beard as awesome as his.
A man can dream. [sub]A man can dream....[/sub]

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Was I the only one that instantly thought that was the most badass main character in any war game ever?

Edit: I might be partially biased for bearing a similar beard.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
He's no Jimmy Patterson, I'm all nostalgic like that.

It's a pretty cool beard though, I must say.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Oh my god what an epic beard. I actually am excited to see how this medal of honour revisiting goes the last one I played was allied assault

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
SF guys are hated and at the same time adored by us other service men and women. We see their beards and unregulated uniforms and only wish we could stand amongst them.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
With great facial hair comes great responsibility. It would appear EA has found a way to out-manly the protagonist of the Soldier of Fortune games, heh.

Cilliandrew

Jul 10, 2009
orangebandguy said:
He's no Jimmy Patterson, I'm all nostalgic like that.

It's a pretty cool beard though, I must say.
I agree. To me the main character of MoH should always be Jimmy.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
That's pretty badass, but do they really want to get in a facial hair war with Infinity Ward?

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
darthzew said:
That's pretty badass, but do they really want to get in a facial hair war with Infinity Ward?
Yes. We want them too, in the hope that in the next Modern Warfare, someone is sporting

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Yea, all those SF guys are damn near required to grow beards when they deploy like that so they can blend into the populace when needed.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
theflyingpeanut said:
darthzew said:
Yes. We want them too, in the hope that in the next Modern Warfare, someone is sporting

bottom left is fucking epic.