New Games Start Gamers Off Really, Really Early

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Games Start Gamers Off Really, Really Early

KneeBouncers is a great way to get your kids into videogames as young as possible.

KneeBouncers [http://www.kneebouncers.com/] is an interesting website thought up by a father of three that was sick of seeing his very young daughter left out while the older kids were having fun playing videogames. It's full of free online flash games that are played using any keyboard input, so as long as a toddler can bash on the keyboard he/she can play.

KneeBouncers games range from educational to purely visual interaction, some teaching colors and words while others involve the game's cast of characters jumping in puddles or performing in a circus. Input from the keyboard will cause an action on screen: moving a character around, playing a sound, etc. If you're like me, your first thought went to the dreaded "ALT-F4" combination which normally closes programs, but it's been smartly disabled.

I really love this idea as a way to get very young children used to the idea of technology and videogames. If I had young kids, I'd definitely sit them in front of these things and see how they liked them; it's never too early to get their videogame addictions started after all. Parents can also download coloring pages of the KneeBouncers animals, and support the site by ordering merchandise with 10% of the profits going towards The Children's Aid Society. Kneebouncers seems worth checking out for parents that don't believe videogames are the devil.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the important thing about this is the name actually

The idea of Knee Bouncers means that a parent is right there with the kid, interacting with them.

Honestly, I think the worst thing you can do for a very young child is to sit them down in front of a video game by themselves.. but having the parents right there, playing the games with the kids, that's just magical.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Thank you. Thank you so very very much. Maybe if I can get my little tyke hooked she'll understand when daddy wants to play his grown up games lol.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So I tried it with her. There should be a warning on the site. I think I need a new keyboard after 5 minutes of gametime. Anyways she loved it. My only beef is they should have disabled the windows key as well. It is difficult to try and get to the mouse while holding a squirming baby and make sure the keyboard doesn't go flying. No way she will be playing this alone. LOL. Awesome Tom thanks again.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I dunno...
I'm still wary of the youngin's playing video games.
Of course, I'm a little biased after having had Wolfenstein and Heretic monsters seared into my brain as a child. >.<

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Erana said:
I dunno...
I'm still wary of the youngin's playing video games.
Of course, I'm a little biased after having had Wolfenstein and Heretic monsters seared into my brain as a child. >.<
I started playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my Sega Mega Drive before I started school, I fully endorse kids starting early so they can get hooked better see our hobbies and pass times first hand.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Pft, start them off on Sonic The Hedgehog I say. I was playing that at three.

Still, it's a nice idea, and I like the fact that it encourages parents to sit down with their kids rather than just leave them to it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
Pft, start them off on Sonic The Hedgehog I say. I was playing that at three.

Still, it's a nice idea, and I like the fact that it encourages parents to sit down with their kids rather than just leave them to it.
This for kids under 1. They are too small to hold a controller (and to ADD to keep pressing the same button)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, we are pulling em in early I suppose!

Wonder how much of a market there is for children that age...

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
If I ever have children they're not playing games until they are at least 8, for reasons I'm not going to bother explaining.
But when I do let them, I'm starting them on the N64 and Game Boy. Little tosser's first game is not going to be Halo, or anything of the like.

Osmo

Nov 23, 2009
On the first one, "Wake up sammy" hold in the spacebar. it feels like you are on an acid trip.
Anywho i think this is a really great idéa, nice that it's free too.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Although I look forward to eventually having a 'lil co-op buddy, I wouldn't want kids of mine playing video/computer games at all before elementary school, and then gradually introduce them to computers. Sure it's important to have computer skills these days, but I also want to make sure that they are comfortable with and can have fun outside and with other children. Things like social skills and creativity are byproducts of group play, and important for raising a well-rounded kid. With computer games, your experiences are limited to what the programmers allow you to do (multiplayer interactions notwithstanding).

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
laserwulf said:
Although I look forward to eventually having a 'lil co-op buddy, I wouldn't want kids of mine playing video/computer games at all before elementary school, and then gradually introduce them to computers. Sure it's important to have computer skills these days, but I also want to make sure that they are comfortable with and can have fun outside and with other children. Things like social skills and creativity are byproducts of group play, and important for raising a well-rounded kid. With computer games, your experiences are limited to what the programmers allow you to do (multiplayer interactions notwithstanding).
You sad old guy.
I didn't get to play video games before elementary school and yet I didn't develop any social skill there (not until much later, at my own pace), because I was born like that; and my creativity is fine, thank you.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
incal11 said:
laserwulf said:
You sad old guy.
I didn't get to play video games before elementary school and yet I didn't develop any social skill there (not until much later, at my own pace), because I was born like that; and my creativity is fine, thank you.

I'm talking about basic stuff: being able to share toys, take turns, follow directions, cooperate, not hit other kids, good sportsmanship. Or are you saying that you were, in fact, a 'lil sociopath growing up? My point is that I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.

And 26 is old?