New Games Start Gamers Off Really, Really Early

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
laserwulf said:
I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.
We're talking about toddlers, what in-house experience can you have at that age that isn't "canned" ?
What is the difference between bashing a keyboard and bashing some plastic toy ?

Here's my point, it won't keep babies from interacting with other babies; the way you present your opinion looks like you have some misconceptions about the influence of video games on kids in general.

Whether the baby is susceptible to develop an addiction to video games akin to that of a bloated Happy meal kid to mcdonald, the parents can't know, I agree they have to be on the lookout for that.
I lean toward: let your kid play video games.
Because stastistically you have 9/10 chances that your kid will be "well rounded" anyway;
and if he's not, again chances are the video games are not the cause.
The rest is about good parenting.

TitsMcGee1804 said:
why would you want your kids to be into gaming

i wouldnt wish my addiction on my worst enemy
If you are addicted to WoW or something like that , I understand.
I could argue that Wow is not a video game , but a secondlife/facebook/casual rainbow colored horror, and you pay for it.

A bit more seriously though, if kids could be educated early about what makes a good video game, we'd see a lot less crap.
Imagine, If Kneebouncers came up ten years earlier Call of duty, Modern warfare, most recent first person shooters in fact ,
could have been avoided :)

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Altorin said:
the important thing about this is the name actually

The idea of Knee Bouncers means that a parent is right there with the kid, interacting with them.

Honestly, I think the worst thing you can do for a very young child is to sit them down in front of a video game by themselves.. but having the parents right there, playing the games with the kids, that's just magical.
I really couldn't agree more, I wish my family time was like this.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

I could argue that Wow is not a video game , but a secondlife/facebook/casual rainbow colored horror, and you pay for it.

A bit more seriously though, if kids could be educated early about what makes a good video game, we'd see a lot less crap.
Imagine, If Kneebouncers came up ten years earlier Call of duty, Modern warfare, most recent first person shooters in fact ,
Nah im not addicted to wow, im just saying if I could choose between having a hobby of playing football, and sitting on my arse drinking beer, i would choose the former (its much more productive)

its all a balance...I play shit loads of games, but I also have a full time job, spend time with my family and go out and get RATTED twice a week, so im not worried about a gaming addiction

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
Nah im not addicted to wow, im just saying if I could choose between having a hobby of playing football, and sitting on my arse drinking beer, i would choose the former (its much more productive)

its all a balance...I play shit loads of games, but I also have a full time job, spend time with my family and go out and get RATTED twice a week, so im not worried about a gaming addiction
Drinking beer doesn't have to be chained to the act of playing a video game; and I fail to see how gaming is any less productive than football, both are games and are not mutually exclusive .
At least sitting on your ass playing a game is more stimulating than sitting on your ass just watching TV .

You play lots of games, good, but please stop having such issues with the gamers' stereotype then;
you can see for yourself it's not posing a problem with your family life, so no need to be so defensive about it.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
incal11 said:
laserwulf said:
I don't believe early development that's based on canned experiences adequately prepare a kid for a world where other kids and adults can act unpredictably; kind of like how wild animals raised in captivity can't survive on their own.
We're talking about toddlers, what in-house experience can you have at that age that isn't "canned" ?
What is the difference between bashing a keyboard and bashing some plastic toy ?

Here's my point, it won't keep babies from interacting with other babies; the way you present your opinion looks like you have some misconceptions about the influence of video games on kids in general.

Whether the baby is susceptible to develop an addiction to video games akin to that of a bloated Happy meal kid to mcdonald, the parents can't know, I agree they have to be on the lookout for that.
I lean toward: let your kid play video games.
Because stastistically you have 9/10 chances that your kid will be "well rounded" anyway;
and if he's not, again chances are the video games are not the cause.
The rest is about good parenting.

TitsMcGee1804 said:

Not only that check out the site and play a couple games. It is hardly a video game at all. There is really no difference than these games and a musical toy that lights up when you press a button. Except it is happening on screen.

I think some people are just bitter because the new gen is getting games earlier than they did. LOL. My baby is 6 months old and got to play her first game. And SHE IS A GIRL lol. It really does hurt the ole "hardcore gamer" ego.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

Drinking beer doesn't have to be chained to the act of playing a video game; and I fail to see how gaming is any less productive than football, both are games and are not mutually exclusive .
At least sitting on your ass playing a game is more stimulating than sitting on your ass just watching TV .

You play lots of games, good, but please stop having such issues with the gamers' stereotype then;
you can see for yourself it's not posing a problem with your family life, so no need to be so defensive about it.
with all due respect, you aint got a leg to stand on; sports are more productive...because its excercise, its outside, its social

you could say online games are social but they are on a basic...detached level, not face to face...

and im not being defensive about anything mate, i dont play football, i play MW2 all day, my family says im a bit of a nerd and im not exactly proud of how much I play...but I still admit i would be doing alot better in my life if i like....left the room now and again

Im joking, its not that bad...like i said...balance

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
with all due respect, you aint got a leg to stand on; sports are more productive...because its excercise, its outside, its social

you could say online games are social but they are on a basic...detached level, not face to face...
I do some exercise, to maintain balance as you say, not all gamers do that (like you) but I do.

Video game, some of them at least, ARE exercise, mental exercise; thus just as productive as any physical sports (only cases where sports are more productive may be if you're in the army for example).
I do sometime use my laptop outside when it's sunny.
Finally, but I know I'm in the minority with this, I PLACE ABSOLUTELY NO IMPORTANCE in the fact that the person I socialize with is in front of me or not;
sure it is more impersonnal when the "person" is a bunch of word, but I can see past that, we're just different about this.

So I do in fact have a leg to stand on, unlike you.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

I do some exercise, to maintain balance as you say, not all gamers do that (like you) but I do.

Video game, some of them at least, ARE exercise, mental exercise; thus just as productive as any physical sports (only cases where sports are more productive may be if you're in the army for example).
Finally, but I know I'm in the minority with this, I PLACE ABSOLUTELY NO IMPORTANCE in the fact that the person I socialize with is in front of me or not;
sure it is more impersonnal when the "person" is a bunch of word, but I can see past that, we're just different about this.

lol, pompous twat

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

lol, pompous twat
What, feel bad that I beat you with logic ?

You show your true idiotic nature, I lost my time with you.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:
incal11 said:
TitsMcGee1804 said:

lol, pompous twat
What, feel bad that I beat you with logic ?

You show your true idiotic nature, I lost my time with you.
i would have took the time to come up with an argument but reading your comment was like banging my head against a wall and I didnt want to waste my time

for more information: see my previous comment

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
i would have took the time to come up with an argument but reading your comment was like banging my head against a wall and I didnt want to waste my time
It's funny, I have the exact same feelings.

I still want to make a step toward peace and understanding.
For what I can see your opinion of gaming is this:
exercise= outside= social }=/=games

This is a big bias you have.
That shows you have a very narrow idea of "exercise" and "social", and maybe you didn't play that many games...
if YOU reread my earlier post you could understand how this is wrong.

If you actually can find arguments against me, I'd be interested to read them.

Anyway, even if you just choose to ignore me now, I hope I got you thinking.