On Remakes and Nostalgia

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
On Remakes and Nostalgia

Yahtzee explains why Mario should have been left in space and how Left 4 Dead 2 is like toasted bread.

Read Full Article

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I guess Yahtzee can get away with religious comments like that simply because nobody dares question him. Or because he is in fact, God.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Since you say that you dont often play multiplayer did you take of the gore filter with L4D2, if so did you find that it changed the immersion or was the gameplay strong enough to not worry about zombie heads while a hunter was ripping off your nipples?

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
you forgot to mention that the internet breeds fanboyism like it gets going out of style (only it never does). and its from these pools of fanboys who circle jerk for nostalgia, that we find the reluctance of companies to create new ideas because an established audience already exists. this is the problem that fanboys don't realize their making. thats why mario hasn't evolved at all after galaxy, and probably won't again (go ahead fanboys, tell me galaxy 2 or new super mario bros wii (a remake of a remake) is going to be an evolution of the franchise)

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
This Was a great Read.

But I predict that Mario is still gonna live.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Goldeneye1989 said:
Since you say that you dont often play multiplayer did you take of the gore filter with L4D2, if so did you find that it changed the immersion or was the gameplay strong enough to not worry about zombie heads while a hunter was ripping off your nipples?
I'm pretty sure he answered that question in his review.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
I think the problem with remakes is nostalgia vs. innovation, remaking a game just in HD with no changes is purely nintendo's money grabbing tactic.
Capcom and valve are the only two developers who had remakes which were worth getting (re1, any pre hl2 source game), due to massive changes.
Mega man 2.5D (search bar) seems to be the only remake idea with innovation applied to the concept.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
SikOseph said:
qbanknight said:
thats why mario hasn't evolved at all after galaxy, and probably won't again (go ahead fanboys, tell me galaxy 2 or new super mario bros wii (a remake of a remake) is going to be an evolution of the franchise)
Mario will evolve again. He's got 40+ games under his belt, lots of differences between them.
So he's going to evolve again in 5 years? Thats great...oh and btw i'm not counting all the spinoff BS (tennis, party, golf, etc.). i'm talking about just the straightforward platformer

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I hope Mario gets eaten by Bowser in the final cutscene of the next Mario game along with a message "THE END". That way we will simultaneously get closure and humour.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
I think the problem with remakes is nostalgia vs. innovation, remaking a game just in HD with no changes is purely nintendo's money grabbing tactic.
Capcom and valve are the only two developers who had remakes which were worth getting (re1, any pre hl2 source game), due to massive changes.
Mega man 2.5D (search bar) seems to be the only remake idea with innovation applied to the concept.
I think you're right.

*goes away to try and pre-order the Shadow of the Colossus re-release*

What? It's not a remake!

M4rsch

Feb 21, 2009
Hahaha
It's like talking to people who believe in god.
Capital!
Too hasty? Fuck no. Been a long time since I literally laughed at something on here. And it is ever so true.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Ninjamedic said:
I think you're right.

*goes away to try and pre-order the Shadow of the Colossus re-release*

What? It's not a remake!
Go see mega man 2.5D, best fan idea in a long while

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
*sigh*

First of all, this is not a retread of any sort. You claim that this game is a remake of Mario 3? Mario is far more maneuverable in this title than he is in that game. He can wall jump, butt-stomp, and pretty much do anything he could in 3D in a 2D plane. You might immediately claim that therefore this must be a carbon-copy of the DS game. Again, no. There are many new levels, some new power-ups, a 4-player versus option, a 4-player versus component, motion controlled areas and the Super Guide. This is not the same game.

And you're really going to emphasize story and gameplay on the same level of importance? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy narrative in games as well. However, you should remember the medium we're discussing. We're not talking about movies, novels, or plays. We're talking about games. Therefore, the gameplay must always take full position of importance. Following shortly thereafter should be level-design that compliments the gameplay, not the story. In fact, narratives in games are rather unimportant in the whole scheme of things. Yes, they may give you a compelling reason to continue playing. But if the game itself is not enjoyable to play, then what's the fucking point?