Nintendo Sells 3 Million Wiis in December, Breaks Record

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo Sells 3 Million Wiis in December, Breaks Record

Wii sales slump? What Wii sales slump? Nintendo moved 3 million consoles in December '09, setting a record for the most consoles sold in any one given month.

Despite roaring to early unquestioned dominance in this round of the console wars, Nintendo's Wii seemed to slow in early 2009, with third-party exclusives like MadWorld and The Conduit underperforming. Sales for the system itself dropped dramatically, though not enough to let the other two consoles overtake it. Despite a price cut in September that poised Nintendo's console to once again stampede to dominance (reduced the production of the Wii [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96451-Wii-Moves-Back-on-Top] told a different story.

Or maybe not: Internal Nintendo estimates - in advance of the NPD sales data - suggest that the company sold 3 million Wii units during the month of December. This would be a swift turnaround from the rest of 2009, which saw month-on-month declines - and also a massive leap from December '08, which saw a mere 2.15 million units sold thanks to hardware shortages (and that pesky recession thing).

In fact, it's a current one-month console sales record and not by a small margin, either. The Wii strips the title from the previous record holder, the PlayStation 2, which earned it in 2002 with an impressive 2.7 million units sold. It remains to be seen if the Wii's 3 million is more or less than the 3.04 million DSes Nintendo sold worldwide last December.

Sales were heavily buoyed by the release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, as the multiplayer platformer approaches 4 million units sold - but is unlikely to achieve Reggie Fils-Aime's prediction that it would match Activision's juggernaut Modern Warfare 2 in sales.

(Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/01/december-wii-sales/])

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
next in the news. Sony and Microsoft give up on their consoles and Nintendo declares december to be now known as Causal Gamer Month.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Aww man. I kinda wish this would sell more than MW2 so Reggie can gloat over kotick's dead body. >>

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, that should restore some confidance into Nintendo for there console at least

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
when was the last time the wii had a good game that wasnt for 40 year old women and that doesnt include a mario?

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
My grandparents bought a Wii for themselves. To put that into perspective, the last time my grandparents bought a console for themselves it was an NES.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Skullkid4187 said:
when was the last time the wii had a good game that wasnt for 40 year old women and that doesnt include a mario?
Good god. Why is there always a flamer on these threads?

Silent Hill Shattered Memories.
TMNT Smash Up
The Conduit
Madworld
Animal Crossing
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
No More Heroes
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Muramusa The Demon Blade
Rune Factory
Little King Story
Should I include Wiiware titles?

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
Holy Fuck, you'd think that everyone and their grandmother would have at least 2 Wiis by now.
AND their dogs, cats, goldfish, parrots, rabbits, mice, gerbils, turtles, hedgehogs, pihranas, sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads...

Surprising no-one, Nintendo demonstrates a continued license to practically print its own money.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
internetzealot1 said:
Holy Fuck, you'd think that everyone and their grandmother would have at least 2 Wiis by now.
I have 2 Wii's and I'm not proud of it. Actually one came free with a new TV I bought.

Aura Guardian said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Good god. Why is there always a flamer on these threads?
That's not flaming buddy, that's trolling I think.

OT, can't believe so many people are eating anything with Mario in it now, I don't it's because of the new Mario games, it couldn't be.