Capcom Says 360 and PS3 Are "The Future"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Says 360 and PS3 Are "The Future"

The head of Capcom's French division says the company will focus on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the future because core games just don't perform very well on the Nintendo Wii.

Stop me if you've heard this one already: Antoine Seux, director general of three million [http://www.capcom.com/] units sold in December, it's a hard point to argue - it's the 360 and PS3 that his company is most interested in, because those are the consoles that hardcore gamers actually play.

Sales of the Wii-exclusive The House of the Dead: Overkill [http://www.residentevil.com/darkside/]... scores were not extraordinary."

The big sellers on the Wii these days are games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii [http://www.olympicvideogames.com/marioandsonic/us/], he said, and while "Wii loyalists" may have supported core gaming on the system a couple of years ago, these days that demographic has migrated to the Microsoft and Sony consoles. "The Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on those platforms," he said. "The Wii console is very much a family commitment [and] rates relatively low. So for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

If Seux's comments sound familiar, it's probably because they echo recent remarks made by Sega's Constantine Hantzopoulos, who said earlier this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97205-Sega-Probably-Finished-With-M-Rated-Wii-Games] that Sega probably won't make any more forays into core game development for the Wii. "Kids are skewing much younger toward next-gen," he said. "Anyone past 12 years old is playing 360 and PS3 shooters."

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
He could've also made his point for saying the following:

"The Wii is for kids. I AM A MAN!! (Punches interviewer in the stomach)"

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
If you ask me they are the past.

You know, since they've been out for like 3 years now?

Playstation 4 and Xbox what the fuck will they call it this time are the real future.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I am kind of tired of the phrase "next-gen" being used to describe a run of systems that we are currently more than 2 years into.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Well if they want to sell better on the Wii, they could always make better games. The only game I would rather play on the Wii than anything else is No More Heroes. Any other game I would rather play on something else.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
The thing is those games ( except chop till you drop which was a crappy port) took their violence to the extreme, which was what made somepeople look past them. Also no ads? Every good game should have some ads

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
zombie711 said:
The thing is those games ( except chop till you drop which was a crappy port) took their violence to the extreme, which was what made somepeople look past them. Also no ads? Every good game should have some ads
There were tons of ads on tv for Mad World.

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
Irrelevant, but, if Capcom ported Killer7 to the Wii I would buy two copies.
<color=white> SO GET TO IT!

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
gee this is has been known for bout 2 years now , as for a ten year life span of consoles , yeah right ,this is bullshit , the ps4 and xbox 720 are in development as we play , but one major system and nintendo will be the norm eventually ...

BillyShakes

Oct 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Stop making games around the frickin' motion controles.
Yeah, Nintendo, that whole thing your system does? Knock it off, so Microsoft and Sony can do it even worse.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
And yet, Xbox 360 and PS3 are going with the Motion controls that the Wii did. *Gasp*
Capcom...you are foolish.

May 28, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Stop making games around the frickin' motion controles.
Exactly. Games are specifically so we can relax, not flail around and look ridiculous.

And I don't even like Capcom. They grumpetise me.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not gonna buy a Wii, a Natal, or a PS3 Eye-Pet thingy. However, I do own a 360 and a PS3 so Capcom just may have something there.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Well this really sucks for the serious Wii owners on The Escapist. Capcom were one of the last developers making mature games and if they stop making mature games for the Wii, who else will?

It's sad that the Wii won't be getting any more mature games but I guess that's business

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea they have plenty of "mature" games on the wii.
Problem is, most of them suck. The few good ones are ports from last gen like Godfather.
And while I don't mind playing the good "kiddie" games like Boom Blocks, I would like to see some good original games with some blood.
If they aren't going to keep trying to make original titles I'll settle for some more ports of good games like GTA San Andreas or Burnout Revenge which were probably the last decent entries for those franchises anyway.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
While I'm not a massive Capcom fan, I suppose it is a bit irritating when another dev drops out of the Wii bandwagon, so to speak.

HUBILUB said:
Well if they want to sell better on the Wii, they could always make better games.
Totally agree with this. As far as I can remember, most games that Capcom have put out on the Wii are ports. With a couple of exceptions obviously

geek.flip

Jan 6, 2010
Well... my Wii is already my least used console, and if it weren't for my Gamecube games and some of the Wii arcade games (Ogre Battle!) I'd sell the thing off, so guess this won't impact me too much. Pity, because the M-rated titles tended to be ok to good, but they lost hard to Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origins, and even my PS2.

crimped

Feb 3, 2008
there is alot of truth to what the writer and capcom says. I have a PS3 and a Wii. when I want to sit down and relax I play on my PS3. when I have company over for a few beers we play Bowling on the Wii. the Wii is a great social game, when you are all in the same room! I belive that it would do far better if the Wii had more ONLINE GAMES! ARE YOU LISTENING NINTENDO? an online bowling alley would kill all other game sales!