A Look at 2010, From 1972: Our Real Future Sucks

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
A Look at 2010, From 1972: Our Real Future Sucks

We're living in 2010, the Year We Make Contact, but it doesn't really seem like the "future." But what did folks in 1972 think it would be like in 2010?

Predictions about the future are always a sticky business, because honestly, let's face it: As rote and predictable as humans can be, we can also be surprisingly ingenious every now and then. There's no way to tell what advancements will come in the future, and what advancements are just a flight of fancy - sure, we may not have flying cars or be living in colonies on the Moon, but how many people in the 60s or 70s could imagine that we'd be walking around with little handheld phone-devices that are exponentially more powerful than the giant mainframe computers of their day?

Some fiction deals with the problem by just making up dates that seem logical (like Star Trek), but then we run into the problem that there weren't actually any Eugenics Wars in 1999, so that makes it hard to believe. If we make it to 2100 without the robot uprising, then we'll know Mega Man's 20XX was a bunch of bullcrap, too. Others try to fudge dates, like the various Gundam metaseries that simply use different calendars: What's U.C. 0079 in real time? Who cares!

But then there's the speculative fiction that just tries to imagine what the future will be like in a given year. Now that we're in Arthur C. Clarke's 2010: The Year We Make Contact, one blogger on the Internet by the name of Daniel Sinker [http://2010book.tumblr.com/post/329330290/it-is-good-to-arrive-home-after-a-busy-afternoon] dug up a book he'd read in his childhood called 2010: Living in the Future, written in 1972.

So, what did author Geoffrey Hoyle get right about the future? Well, his hypothetical "vision desks" and the like for schoolwork are pretty similar to online videoconferencing - and methods that are actually used to teach kids with remote guest speakers - so that's mostly on the money. As is the idea of telecommuting, and increased networks of public transportation. Some of his ideas, like the people who deliver groceries to you, actually exist in the form of individual services, and while his "series of tubes" is actually literal and not the Internet, at least he was more of a visionary than Senator Ted Stevens.

On the other hand, he got a lot wrong, too. Our actual future isn't quite as ideal (3-day work weeks? Count me the hell in!), his visions of how we'd take showers and cook our food are hilariously overcomplicated, and it's clear to see that this was written by someone who was very much in the mindset of "Give Peace a Chance." Perhaps we'd all be better off living in Mr. Hoyle's version of 2010. Then again, we'd all still have horrible '70s fashion, so maybe we're better off in that way.

What are some modern visions of our future that you think will be hilariously wrong? For one, we probably won't be settling the Solar System in 2035 - sorry, NASA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97062-NASA-Makes-MMOG-for-Science].

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
It is always entertaining to see how people thought the world would be. I know my parents did something in school where they made a time capsule back in the 70's with what they thought the year 2000 would look like...and when they oepend it well off.

No living on the moon just yet.

I do like to speculate though, and when the topic comes up its always fun to discuss. Where will we be in 10 year? Only time can tell

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well actually, one also has to look at all of these "cautionary tales of the future" and the influance they have as well. A lot of predictions made by people in the past are based on the idea that science was going to be allowed to charge on heedlessly in a certain area as it appeared at the time. Back during the 1960s and 1970s for example there was a giant movement about Eugenics, and even at least one alleged conspiricy to kill all the Blacks in the US by secretly sterilizing them as babies during vaccinations (I believe there was some truth to it, but it was overplayed). The thing was people looked at some of the horror stories about what COULD happen with Eugenics, LIKE the alleged wars mentioned in Star Trek and eugenic and gentic science was heavily limited. Even now there are big battles about it to this day and a lot of the moral questions are ones that were argued about in vintage science fiction.

A Robotic uprising is increasingly unlikely because so many people have written stories about it, that people are extremely wary about the entire idea. Games like Megaman (and the stories that inspired them) doubtlessly having been influential.

What this means of course is that we stifled our own genetic and robotic technology development. Not without reason, but I *DO* feel that too many "Doctor Frakenstein" stories has had a negative overall effect.

Then of course even when dealing with purely optimistic ideas, you of course have to look at business realities, and how gas companies have been trying to stifle the development of better power sources to keep their business going. On top of this we've seen massive battles between cable and phone companies and developers of new technologies who could infringe on or replace their network. Recent developments in the area largely existing because of mergers letting them happen.

On top of this you have authoritatian issues. The idea of flying cars for example is possible. Heck "Popular Mechanics" famously once illustrated how to make your own Gyrocopter. Jet Packs of various kinds have also been around for a while (they had a guy fly around the street in front of a theater for the Robocop 3 promotion using one). In response a lot of states have passed laws limiting personal flight (whether you realize it or not). Think of it this way, imagine the difficulty of catching some guy evading pursuit using a Jet Pack, even with cops using the same stuff it would be pure chaos. With everyone having a commuter flying machine we'd of course have to implement traffic control systems for it, but just as importantly how do the authorities control that? How does a cop ground someone safely? Drunk drivers and car accidents are a bit problem as it is, but now imagine someone crashing his "Gyrocar" through the roof of your house while your asleep. As superficially "cool" and well thought out as the "skycars" in the Star Wars prequels, or even "The Fifth Element" were, think about it realistically.

In looking at a lot of retrofuture concepts, I think you'll find that we technically have the technology to do most of them. We *COULD* have flying cars, there is no reason we couldn't have developed them a couple of decades ago. However reasons not covered in most of the fiction prevent it (societal impact). If we had pretty much continued on non-stop with Eugenic research since Mengela, I think we could very well have made the super-men. Of course we DIDN'T do this for reasons explained in various science fiction. Robotics and AIs are limited of course because I think a lot of people have been scared of that area (despite the intentions of Issac Asimov) and we carefully proceed with baby steps.

In general I think we're too cautious with science as it is. Technophobia, combined with fear of sudden, radical change has been one of the negative aspects of humanity for a very long time. However I think people confuse what is possible with what we have simply because of what society has allowed to happen.

See, I'm one of those guys who would support a Gyrocopter and landing area in every home. There would be problems, and many, many deaths, but we'd sort it all out in the end and benefit from it. However fear of those problems in the short term is the reason why we haven't done it, and seen human travel extend in the third dimension.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I don't WANT the future

I want victorian dresscodes, top hats, Steampunk contraptions, lotsa brass and ZEPPELINS

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
EspirituExterminatus said:
sure, we may not have flying cars
*ehim [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1097324/Worlds-flying-car-roads-year--just-130-000.html]*

Anyway as long as they give me my promised immortality by 2030 then I will forgive everything else. I mean lets be honest. The moon looks like ass anyway.
You'll note that the flying car article above is from 2008 - saying we'll have those on the road "next year". Hmm, I don't recall seeing any, and I live in Massachusetts. Let check the company's FAQ [http://www.terrafugia.com/faq.html]:

When will the Transition® be available?
First customer delivery is anticipated to be in 2011. Refundable airframe reservations are currently being accepted to hold a place in production.
Hah! Same as it ever was.

As for the moon, it may look like ass, but low gravity would be awesome fun. What does the modern internet user care about scenery anyway - your mom's basement isn't that different from some lunar bunker.

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
Most of these predictions are pretty typical of the "let's imagine what we can do with science, but totally ignore human nature" school of thought. Giant centralized entertainment complexes, swimming pools the size of lakes, restaurants that hold thousands of people - why? Everyone wearing jumpsuits (fashions exist for a reason; a jumpsuit takes all the fun out of choosing your wardrobe). Multi-purpose rooms that ignore the fact that people need privacy (how is one family member going to get sleep when the other one wants to use the "bedroom" as the "living room")?

The guy clearly had a vision, but it was already the outdated one of the International Style pioneered by Le Corbusier (exemplified by the disastrous urban planning of Brasilia). Funny also how he envisions a future overrun with humanity (and his own present with concerns about fuel availability), but has people living in climate-controlled environments to maintain perfect temperatures year-round and thinks that grinding up your plates & flatware & flushing them into the sewer after every meal is a good idea.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
5 more years until Back to the Future 2 is proven totally wrong...

Thats why I love sci-fi so much! Because it shows us these things that just might actually be possible in the future. Im waiting on my teleporter dammit!

Except if they did invent the teleporter then theres a million new problems which arise in it. What kind of teleporter is it? Like a watch that you wear and can transport you anywhere? That would be a disaster with bombs going off anywhere in the world and nobody can stop it.

No the best kind of teleporter would be like a doorway between 2 seperate locations, and the doorways are only found in airport-like locations, so its like going on holiday but cutting out the middleman of travelling.

But what if someone stole/recreated the door? what then?

Thats why there arent any teleporters because they wouldnt work in todays society...and also they would be next to impossible to invent.

Feb 13, 2008
I love the visions of the future that I've seen or lived through.

Or the indispensable fax machine

or the first home computer

I still remember watching this new machine on Tomorrow's World that was set to revolutionize the industry as long as they could find funding for this new machine.

What it did was use a laser to copy pieces of paper, but people were wondering if it would catch on against the paper-ink roller. The machine was named the funny name of Xerox. ('77)

Edit: Oh yes, e-mail -

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
The biggest disappointments related to Pop Culture visions of 2010 as they relate to the actual factual 2010 are thus:
1. The Street Fighter game coming out in 2010 will feature no cybo-plasm monsters (Basher versus Balrog!)or even provide an opportunity for the dream match between Ken Masters and Kevin the Space Cop (who used Ken's name in the U.S. port of Street Fighter 2010)to take place. Is it too late to pass a petition around to make it so?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_2010
2. The episode of The Simpsons "Lisa's Wedding' not only had a funny take on the now-present but it assumed that there would be a world in which The Simpsons would still be funny in the year 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa%27s_Wedding

Only time will tell if our modern visions of a future where an even crazier 'Real World'version of Bayonetta reigns as President of the United States of Alaska subjecting the world to the ultimate Torture Attack will come to pass.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I'll tell you one thing I find wrong with today's future: teenage boys who dress like 12 year old girls! o__O'

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Ah the 1970s were great times weren't they?

We have come far in terms of things like computers and the like, but many things like flying cars and instant showers just haven't been profitable (yet), thus none can really be made without funding (yet)

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
About 2010? I have 1 thing to say:
ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS, EXCEPT EUROPA. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I thought that article was going to be a lot more informative in terms of past documents and their take on our current year back then. I was highly disappointed. The article really didn't have anything informative to say. Sorry but not a fan of this particular piece JF, and I usually love your articles.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
SageRuffin said:
I'll tell you one thing I find wrong with today's future: teenage boys who dress like 12 year old girls! o__O'
Where on Earth have you seen that???

Not that I would consider that a bad thing...

People are far too uptight about gender roles, even when a lot of them are very specific to certain times and cultures.
(men with long hair is a good example - It was the norm for hundreds if not thousands of years. And all of a sudden it makes you 'girly'? Honestly, what is wrong with people...)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
pearcinator said:
5 more years until Back to the Future 2 is proven totally wrong...
How many times do I have to tell you people, Back to the Future 2's vision was made redundant when Michael Jackson died.

I love how he predicts social supercentres with stadiums that could hold 500,000 people, swimming pools with a 4,000 person capacity, fields and courts for all ranges of ball games, facilities for wall-climbing, horse riding and fishing, and libraries with databases encompassing the entire literary history of humankind, including films and newspapers but, for all the technological headway mankind has made, the future just has no room for videogames. Shame, really.