Cryptic Blown Away by Star Trek Online Beta

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cryptic Blown Away by Star Trek Online Beta

As it turns out, "where no man has gone before" may be an exaggeration judging by Cryptic's response to the popularity Star Trek Online [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Pc/dp/B002673XJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280782646&sr=1-1] open beta test.

Even though it was one of the few once-popular fictional universes that had yet to be transformed into an MMOG, many were skeptical about Cryptic Studio's Star Trek Online. "Star Trek isn't relevant anymore," claimed the naysayers. "The only people who will want to beam up and go to maximum warp are the ones dressing their kids as Klingons to go to conventions that smell slightly of cheddar cheese."

Perhaps, but then again... perhaps the franchise has more popularity lingering under the hood than people expected (and last year's successful franchise semi-reboot didn't hurt, either) - at least if we can take Cryptic's word on the matter. "Reality has exceeded even our wildest expectations," said the developer in a "State of the Game" post on the official website [http://www.startrekonline.com/node/899]. The popularity of the game's open beta has been something the developers had not been prepared for, mentally or technologically (judging by the servers, anyway).

[blockquote]Where the heck did you all come from!?!

Reality has exceeded even our wildest expectations. We looked at numbers from Closed Beta, numbers from games we've worked on in the past, and some numbers that float around the games industry. Based on those numbers, we predicted that about 65% of the keys we generated would eventually turn into active players (some keys never get delivered, others are lost in spam boxes, some are never redeemed, etc.). And, we predicted about 1/6 of those redeemed keys would turn into players that game at the same time. It's what we call our concurrent users or CCU, for short.

The actual numbers crushed our predictions.

So, we tore apart our logs and began doing a lot of extra optimization work even while we stumbled upon some truly bizarre crashes that can only appear with this sort of load. The result? The shard has been steadily improving over the first few days of Open Beta. Given the hardware we're adding and a couple more fixes we have in the pipe, shard performance and stability should continue to improve over the coming week.[/blockquote]

Good for Cryptic - it's always heartening to read about developers doing better than expected especially in an economy like this - but the real question is this: Will all the people stick around once the free trial is over and they have to pay?

That remains to be seen, as the game gears up for its February launch. Escapist editor Greg Tito is in the STO beta as we speak, so stay tuned for his thoughts on the game later this week.

(Via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/cryptic_amazed_by_star_trek_online_open_beta.html])

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Good for them! Glad to see another MMO coming online that looks like it won't crash and burn.

I've preordered this and tried out the Open Beta - its alot of fun, though the lags and crashes have put me off playing for the moment - that said, it is a beta, so I fully expect the game to improve before the release.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Star Trek Online was a game I REALLY wanted to like but sadly the graphics are lacking and away missions feel like an after thought. Here's to hoping Old Republic comes close to meeting expectations. . . .

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would like to have a shot in the near future...it looks intresting and from what I hear, although the Away Missions need a little work the space combat is actually fairly fun.

I do hope it does take off, as it would be great to some classic Star Trek action!

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
For one moment I misread "Escapist editor Greg Tito is in the STO beta as we speak,"

as

"Escapist editor Greg Tito is in the SWTOR beta as we speak"

and nearly had a heart attack...

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm trying very hard to stick to my pledge not to shell out for a monthly-subscription based MMORPG anymore, but Star Trek Online is fairly close to being all that and a bag of chips. Unlike Star Wars Galaxies, Cryptic has delivered a play experience relatively consistent with a wide degree of fan expectations, and I expect STO to do very well.

Sure, the overall game is a primarily combat-oriented grind for level and phat loot, just like the vast majority of MMORPGs out there... and you'd think this would make Gene Roddenberry spin in his grave considering the Federation was basically downgraded from uniting all races and exploring the unknown to simply butchering everything that moves so the shinys will fall out of their pockets. And yet, the gameplay of STO is fairly novel, and considering how much exciting screen time in invested in exchanging phaser fire in the series, that's really not off-base enough to alienate all but the most diehard fan.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Anoctris said:
John Funk said:
Even though it was one of the few once-popular fictional universes...
What does this mean? Is Star Trek now unpopular?
Compared to how popular it was once upon a time? Yes.

ma55ter_fett said:
For one moment I misread "Escapist editor Greg Tito is in the STO beta as we speak,"

as

"Escapist editor Greg Tito is in the SWTOR beta as we speak"

and nearly had a heart attack...
Oh, no. Believe me, when that comes around it's mine, baby. All mine :p

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
Anoctris said:
John Funk said:
Even though it was one of the few once-popular fictional universes...
What does this mean? Is Star Trek now unpopular?
This kind of confused me too, the article even mentions last years Star Trek movie, which was the most successful ever (even adjusted for inflation). Arguing that the franchise isn't relevant now is simply bizarre.

Cod of War

Jan 13, 2010
I bet the game development head for STO shed a manly tear of joy...

Ensign: Sir!
Captain: What is it? Is the Open Beta running okay? Are the servers running properly

Ensign: Actually sir. We are almost overloaded with players and yet the servers are running silky smooth without any lag....
Captain: ... *tear* Thank The Maker!!!!

Music Plays... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqJjwJxlm0

Also, Mr. Article-Writer is gravely misinformed. Star Trek is NOW insanely popular

STO + SWTOR >>>> WoW

Be careful you denzines of Azaroth. The Jedi and Starfleet are coming for you...

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
If there was one fictional universe that could pull me in, it would be Star Trek. Alas, MMOGs by their nature are the only hurdle. Star Trek is a classic series that has lost a lot of ground with younger audiences... the ones who actually have time to play MMOGs. Nostaligia could have carried this game far. I guess we'll see (based on how successful it becomes) how many 30 and 40 something Trekkies didn't actually get married and have children and other responsibilities. ;-)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cod of War said:
I bet the game development head for STO shed a manly tear of joy...

Ensign: Sir!
Captain: What is it? Is the Open Beta running okay? Are the servers running properly

Ensign: Actually sir. We are almost overloaded with players and yet the servers are running silky smooth without any lag....
Captain: ... *tear* Thank The Maker!!!!

Music Plays... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqJjwJxlm0

Also, Mr. Article-Writer is gravely misinformed. Star Trek is NOW insanely popular

STO + SWTOR >>>> WoW

Be careful you denzines of Azaroth. The Jedi and Starfleet are coming for you...
But again, not as massively pop-culture relevant as it once was. The reboot went a long way to revitalizing the franchise, but it remains to be seen on how it'll shape up in the long run.

And yes, I'm upcoming MMOG battle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/view-from-the-road/7043-View-From-the-Road-Five-Reasons-Why-The-Old-Republic-Can-t-Touch-WoW], ;)

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Cryptic has delivered a play experience relatively consistent with a wide degree of fan expectations, and I expect STO to do very well.
What exactly would you describe as the common fan expectation for ST:O?

I've played the beta for > 10 hours and feel like I've "gotten into the experience" ST:O has to offer any player and my impression of ST:O can be summed up by one word: uninspired.

Keep the usual remarks (ST is about exploration, not fighting/it's about the characters, stupid!) in mind when playing and afterward you'll probably draw the same conclusion:
- the charakters are rather dull
- the writing is actually ok - except mission descriptions that tell you to find xyz, but not where to search for it.
- the design of the away missions is so absolutely boring and annoying (fly to a sector with the task of patrolling it (2 minutes) - enter space system and fly to planet in front of you (1 minute) - [insert random catastrophe/war/call for help or abnormal readings on the planet that you can probably ignore and stare at the loading screen here] (1 minute) - scan the surface, run around grinding "artifacts" for money - talk to three people - leave)
- there's no larger story to be seen anywhere within the first 15 main quest arcs
- every second mission is bugged (ok, it's a beta. but there's so much to do till release on 2/2/10)
- difficulty does not properly scale with the size of your group (a few missions in you'll have to fight several birds of prey and vor'cha cruisers - sit tight and hope for somebody to join your instance. | on a second mission you have to beam down to a planet with klingons on it. your task: kill everybody. you and max 4 NPCs/players against 4 groups of 6 klingons each. and they'll have you slaughtered in seconds - literally)

There was so much potential in the ST lore, yet Cryptic managed to bet the wrong horses. Ship customization - who cares about that if you have fought with your friends in a space system and want to get on your way to the next one but end up in several different instances of the galaxy and can't see your mates.

The social factor is mostly not present ingame. You travel alone, you mostly fight alone, you scan boring planets alone - you can't even play as a Ferengi and get + on barter skills! :( ;)

I'm really curious about Greg Tito's impressions.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Spucktier said:
geldonyetich said:
Cryptic has delivered a play experience relatively consistent with a wide degree of fan expectations, and I expect STO to do very well.
What exactly would you describe as the common fan expectation for ST:O?
Well, you hacked off my sentence half way, so you're squinting cockeyed at half an idea, but I see where you're coming from, and let me elaborate with a few small paragraphs that would form a whole idea.

The thing is we've got out genuine Trekkies and then we've got the millions who came into contact with the IP here and there and thought it was neat.

* The genuine trekkies will have many of the same complaints you do: that Star Trek isn't all pew pew pew but rather that there's this whole message of universal unity - as you put it, the lore is the thing.

* The millions who aren't so deeply into the IP merely wish to get enough of a taste for it by running around firing phasers within some easy-to-follow mission goals of not necessarily spectacular writing in a most-of-the-time working game.

Cryptic is definitely aiming at capturing the attention of the later. First, because it's easier. Second, because aiming to fish in millions is the more financially beneficial choice.

Star Wars Galaxies screwed up in that they tried to go for the deeper, virtual worldly experience at first. The millions who weren't so deeply into that IP were expecting to find a game where they can hack things up with lightsabers and shoot blasters - an action/adventure, like the movie was - and instead they found moisture farming. Star Trek Online is going to do much better because they did not repeat that mistake.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I am currently participating in the open beta, and I am blown away by what I have seen so far. Cryptic really dug deep into Trek lore, and they have managed to incorporate aspects from ALL TV series, movies, and many of the old games as well. There is a LOT to do, TONS of neat modifications, abilities, and cooperative missions.

I have high hopes for STO, and I can seen it being a major contender with some of the other more well-established MMOs in the near future. Sure, there are some bugs to be ironed out, but that will happen as the beta progresses. What amazes me is how little lag I am getting with a single server that nearly full to the brim with nearly 1000 (or even 1000+) players!

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
John Funk said:
But again, not as massively pop-culture relevant as it once was. The reboot went a long way to revitalizing the franchise, but it remains to be seen on how it'll shape up in the long run.
Out of curiousity, is this actually based on something outside of personal viewpoint? DS9 and TNG were huge and made the fandom even bigger. Popularity of the movies slumped a little during the early 00's, but come on, can you say "Beam me up" without anyone understanding you in today's world? Conventions are still huge, trekkies are still everywhere and dominate any scifi convention. So I'm not sure what the benchmark for this is.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Xanthious said:
Star Trek Online was a game I REALLY wanted to like but sadly the graphics are lacking and away missions feel like an after thought. Here's to hoping Old Republic comes close to meeting expectations. . . .
I'm curious as to how you are reaching that conclusion when all we have is an open beta. Not all of the content is there, and there are still large chunks of the galaxy that have yet to be opened.

As for the graphics... What are you smoking, and where can I get some? They are exceptional when compared to an MMO like, say, WoW. I've heard EVE online has some good visuals, but I have never played it, so I can't really comapre the two.