3D N64 Videos Give Glimpse Into 3DS Potential

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Vaccine said:
Uhmmmmm, am I ment to be seeing anything different? because it's pretty much identical between left and right.
Thats what im thinking...did someone forget to put on a switch?

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
The 3D in the video provided looks alright. The image seems to be much more crisp than standard footage but overall it feels a bit too subtle, if I want 3D I would like to be able to go the whole 9 yards and have it coming out at me. I hate having to cross my eyes to look at stuff like that though so that might also be a problem.

But... I don't think this would be anything like what Nintendo will do with the 3DS. If they have a slider I would assume that you can either have MASSIVE 3D, no 3D or anywhere in the middle. The subtle effect provided by these videoes probably isn't what Nintendo will provide. Keep in mind also that these are just edited vidoes designed to play with a trick of the eye from a flat screen while the 3DS will actually have specific technology to give the 3D feel and so those games will have to be altered to use that technology rather than being altered to make use of eye tricks/3D glasses. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the 3D of the final product will be nothing like this.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Wouldn't this be a more accurate representation of how it might look like?

Anyway, it's a shame I don't have any 3D glasses to be able to tell the difference. Still, if nothing else, it was nice to see the intro to Starfox. :p

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Tom Phoenix said:
Wouldn't this be a more accurate representation of how it might look like?

Anyway, it's a shame I don't have any 3D glasses to be able to tell the difference. Still, if nothing else, it was nice to see the intro to Starfox. :p
Wow that does look pretty cool. Huh I might give the 3DS a chance.

No Sony that doesn't mean I am buying into your glasses 3D ever. Unless you are paying for my Lasik first.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
What I want to know is how they could make Crosseyed mode not damage people's eyes.
My step brother had a lazy eye, and he had to train his eye by wearing an eye patch to force the eye to look properly. Imagine if this were making peoples' eyes look in the wrong direction several hours a day?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Damn it!, I get how this is supposed to look like and I even had a glimpse for a second or two, but... AARRGGHHH... my eyes hurts!

Ontoue

May 13, 2009
Erana said:
What I want to know is how they could make Crosseyed mode not damage people's eyes.
My step brother had a lazy eye, and he had to train his eye by wearing an eye patch to force the eye to look properly. Imagine if this were making peoples' eyes look in the wrong direction several hours a day?
Crosseyed doesn't actually hurt your eyes, you could look at it for hours on end and your eyes would be fine, that's because it's exactly like looking at something very close to your face. Say... looking at something about 2 1/2 inches away from your face, unless you have problems doing that then it'll be all good.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Ontoue said:
Erana said:
Crosseyed doesn't actually hurt your eyes, you could look at it for hours on end and your eyes would be fine, that's because it's exactly like looking at something very close to your face. Say... looking at something about 2 1/2 inches away from your face, unless you have problems doing that then it'll be all good.
But doesn't that still strain your eyes? I mean, if using other peoples' glasses can damage your vision...
I don't know for fact, but I'm still very wary of it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Ontoue said:
yea...I wouldt suggest this if its an CRT monitor, the last thing people need is a blast of beta radiation in their face.

Ontoue

May 13, 2009
Erana said:
Ontoue said:
Erana said:
But doesn't that still strain your eyes? I mean, if using other peoples' glasses can damage your vision...
I don't know for fact, but I'm still very wary of it.
Well, using someone else's glasses would put more strain on the muscles that focus your eye, whereas crossing your eyes uses the muscles that move it around. While I'm no ophthalmologist either, I'm pretty sure that stereoscopic 3d shouldn't hurt your eyes unless you have some sort of condition that hurts your eyes when you do that.

Yes, I did have to look up ophthalmologist, and no, I'm not sure if that first "h" goes there.

HyruleAdvent

Jul 8, 2010
Holy crap. These videos make me more excited about the Nintendo 3DS. I don't have an extra 3D glasses laying around here so I can't exactly see the 3D effects of the video but it looks very promising.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
ok, so...how do i do this "cross-eyed" thing. is it like those magic eye pictures where u un-focus your eyes? or am i to do something else.

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
I must say, the Mario Kart video looks amazing.
I almost had a seizure though in the Rainbow Road part... So many colours!

DragonChi said:
ok, so...how do i do this "cross-eyed" thing. is it like those magic eye pictures where u un-focus your eyes? or am i to do something else.
Here you must do the opposite.
If you choose cross-eyed, you have to overfocus your eyes, like when you're staring at your nose.