3D Realms Is Not Closing

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
zoozilla said:
Keane Ng said:
3D Realms also revealed its take on the last months of Duke Nukem Forever's years-long development. According to 3DR, the studio began negotiations sometime late last year with Take-Two for more funding to finish DNF. Around this time, the studio was "hitting mutually agreed milestones" despite the lack of an established agreement. Allegedly after "months of negotiations," Take-Two suddenly changed the terms of the proposed agreement to a point where 3DR couldn't afford to sign on.
This makes it sound like Duke was pretty close to a release; if that was the case, why the hell didn't they post any footage?
If you check out some of the leaked material (plot and map data), it revealed the game was about 60% finished, some levels hadn't been started.

Although I am really keen to see the game released at some stage. I hope it somehow finally sees the light of day, because the leaked footage looked pretty awesome.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
YE! The joke goes on... 3D realms was the scapegoat of gaming jokes and glad to see it can continue to be one.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
So essentially, it's Take Two who killed the longest running game in development. If they hadn't tried to pressure 3D Realms into relinquishing the rights, perhaps the game would still come to fruition.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
jebussaves88 said:
So essentially, it's Take Two who killed the longest running game in development. If they hadn't tried to pressure 3D Realms into relinquishing the rights, perhaps the game would still come to fruition.
Eh, you are listening to the words of the guy who's taken 12 years and counting to get a game to 60% completion, heh.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This is like listening to a badly-written old-time radio drama, where everything gets more and more drawn-out and overdone just to keep you listening through the next commercial jingle.

Right now, in my mind, the title for the game is more like "Duke Nukem: Whatever".

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Meado said:
ygetoff said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Hu...What a sad ending to a very long joke.

Maybe Duke Nukem will be picked up by someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe not. I don't know and I'm not sure I care anymore.
Perhaps Infinity Ward could make it. They know their way around a shooter, and I heard they wanted a sci-fi game.
Screw that. Give it to Valve.
Maybe Bethesda could make an RPG version?

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
skitskat said:
i'm so happy that 3D realms havent shut :D i've been a long time fan of all the games they've made...mostly the original duke nukems and commander keen games :D

good news that there still in business :D

way to stay in the ball game!
Commander Keen was ID, different company.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Keane Ng said:
"Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing," the studio declared in a release today. "Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6th, while we regroup as a company."
Question:
Will anyone care about 3D Realms after they "regroup as a company?" I'm sorry, but "being unable to develop a single FPS game for 10 years" seems like a pretty big black mark on your company record. Would you invest in a company like that?

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
I find this ironic. I bet it will be like, ' We're closing', 'NO we're not' and on and and on and on. For 10 freaking years.

Yup, that's 3D Realms for ya. And we love them for it.

Nettacki

Feb 25, 2008
I don't care about these guys anymore, and haven't done so since the closure was first announced. For all I care, they could be fired and the game left to FAR more capable people and I'd at least take a look at it.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
Ilosia said:
skitskat said:
i'm so happy that 3D realms havent shut :D i've been a long time fan of all the games they've made...mostly the original duke nukems and commander keen games :D

good news that there still in business :D

way to stay in the ball game!
Commander Keen was ID, different company.
commander keen was apogee, which split into 3D realms and ID software :)

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Damn, I was probably one of the few people who was actually glad that 3D Realms had been closing.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Meado said:
ygetoff said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Hu...What a sad ending to a very long joke.

Maybe Duke Nukem will be picked up by someone who knows what they're doing. Maybe not. I don't know and I'm not sure I care anymore.
Perhaps Infinity Ward could make it. They know their way around a shooter, and I heard they wanted a sci-fi game.
Screw that. Give it to Valve.
Give it to SouthPeak just to watch them buckle and cry under the pressure.