3DS SpotPass Downloads Have Potential for Spam

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Oh shit, it's the Gizmondo all over again. I wonder just how much they can bury their latest handheld before it's even been released. Now you too can buy a hideously overpriced console and be infected with thousands of viruses and constantly pestered by ads demanding even MORE of your money! I really don't see what all the fuss is about, Nintendo are just a flawless company!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Some guys had probably read this and is right now making a virus that wipes the memory data of off 3DSs that steal his wifi. That or installs the "meatspin" gif. whichever is worse.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Some guys had probably read this and is right now making a virus that wipes the memory data of off 3DSs that steal his wifi. That or installs the "meatspin" gif. whichever is worse.
If he is smart he would do both!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Tom Goldman said:
To protect children, Nintendo barely lets people that own the Wii play its own first-party games together without submitting to a genetic test,
wait, can you or someone PLEASE break this down into something i can understand, what i'm getting from this is either "You can't play a Wii unless you submit to a genetic test" or this is just EXTREME sarcasm...

for the record, yes, i REALLY don't get sarcasm...
Sure, it was a little inside I admit. To play multiplayer with many Nintendo games, you have to get a 12 digit "friend code" unique to each game. It's a little harder than just becoming friends on Xbox Live, though some more recent titles don't require codes, such as Monster Hunter Wii. I was exaggerating based on a common complaint about Nintendo's online play.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
felixader said:
Tom Phoenix said:
If Nintendo cares even remotely about it's customers, it will give the option to turn off SpotPass.
Exactly.

And i have to say that i am extremely shocked that Nintendo even considers the possibillity of Ads on one of their Consoles.
Nurb said:
If this or any gaming device is going to give the owner unsolicted advertizing it should be sold a lot fucking cheaper, I'll tell you that.

The Corporate age of gaming sucks.
Wow...this is just pathetic. I wish Mr. Iwata hadn't said anything at all. This article is completely misleading and out of context. I guess that's what you get as the president of a company for trying to be honest. He says the word "spam" and everybody perks their ears and starts qqing to all their friends and on their internet forums without the slightest understanding of what the discussion was about or the context the word was used in.

For all of you who don't know, this section of the interview was all about how Nintendo will be investigating the use of advertisements on the 3ds. (just like the Xbox dashboard has, and I'm sure the Playstation home has as well, though I can't say for sure since I don't own a ps3) Given the fact that they will be streaming 3d tv in Japan on the device, (and possibly other areas as well) this was as obviously going to happen as the sun rising in the morning, and anybody with the slightest clue knew it. Mr. Iwata brought up the topic of spam himself, with no provocation from the audience, only to make a point about how they will be extremely careful with the ads and keep them to things that gamers will be interested in seeing. By spam, he didn't mean massive quantities of advertisements on male enhancement or breasts etc.- he simply meant any advertisement that didn't appeal to the user. All the comments about 3d dicks and tits are indicators of the maturity level of the users here, which is quite sad given the Escapist's emphasis on culture and improving the gaming community.

For those of you coming away from this article thinking the 3ds is going to be basement hacked, that wasn't the point, and if Mr. Goldman thinks it was, which I sincerely hope he doesn't, then he has completely misunderstood Mr. Iwata, and his article is thus flawed. I'm no expert on the subject, but I personally consider hackers to be very unlikely given the lack of return the effort has to offer. I don't think it will ever be practical from an economic standpoint- even if you do succeed you're not likely to infect more than a handful of devices. This only leaves the giant tools who would waste away their life and risk a lawsuit to get their 30 seconds of fame.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Tom Goldman said:
To protect children, Nintendo barely lets people that own the Wii play its own first-party games together without submitting to a genetic test,
wait, can you or someone PLEASE break this down into something i can understand, what i'm getting from this is either "You can't play a Wii unless you submit to a genetic test" or this is just EXTREME sarcasm...

for the record, yes, i REALLY don't get sarcasm...
Sure, it was a little inside I admit. To play multiplayer with many Nintendo games, you have to get a 12 digit "friend code" unique to each game. It's a little harder than just becoming friends on Xbox Live, though some more recent titles don't require codes, such as Monster Hunter Wii. I was exaggerating based on a common complaint about Nintendo's online play.
OH! ok, thank you!

so on that topic, i'd have to say yeah, if nintendo already makes it THAT hard to become friends, then to allow kids to see inappropriate ads would probably not happen :D