Ubisoft Announces New Assassin's Creed With Multiplayer

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Ubisoft Announces New Assassin's Creed With Multiplayer

Assassin's Creed fans will soon be able to shank each other in glorious high definition.

The next Assassin's Creed will return to Italy and Assassin's Creed II protagonist Ezio, taking him to the Holy City of Rome, where he will attack the Templar order directly. Among the new features announced is the multiplayer capability. While information on the multiplayer is scarce, Ubisoft has said the game will have an online versus mode and as a general rule, their new releases will also include a co-op mode of gameplay.

Ubisoft further announced the third Assassin's Creed should be seeing a release no later than April 11, 2011. This comes with the release of Ubisoft's third quarter sales figures, with Assassin's Creed II shipping 8 million copies since its November release. To put things in perspective, the first Assassin's Creed sold that many copies in June 2009, eighteen months after release. With lessened earnings this fiscal quarter, Ubisoft definitely wants to capitalize on a strong franchise. And capitalize is exactly the way to describe what they're doing.

Last week, Ubisoft <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98004-Assassins-Creed-II-Multiplayer-Announced-for-iPhone>announced another multiplayer Assassin's Creed game for the iPhone, following up with an announcement that the iPhone game was not going to be the multiplayer-capable sequel they had announced earlier. As far as Ubisoft is concerned, Assassin's Creed is one of their most valuable properties, but can they keep up the steam? We'll find out within the next year.

Source: VG247

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NO NO NO!

This is a last thing they need.

Well, the co-op actually could work. One distracts the target, the other kills the target.

But Versus is just stupid.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Not sure how I would feel about a Multiplayer Assasins Creed. I wouldny mind working co-op with people though, that could be fun.

Co-ordination, planning and strategy to take down a mark

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
MMm.. not to convinced on Versus.

But COOP for pure havoc and lol's would be fun!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I thought the next Assasin's Creed would have you playing as Desmond in the present/future.

rockytheboxer

Nov 3, 2009
Don't shit on the multiplayer yet, guys. Ubisoft did a great job with Spies/Mercs from Splinter Cell. Maybe this will be something like that.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
I don't think multiplayer will go too well if it has the same combat system as it does now, as it will just be a combination of continuous blocking and counterkills, until *lag* dead.

Apr 28, 2008
Co-op you say?

Hell yes!

CD-R said:
I thought the next Assasin's Creed would have you playing as Desmond in the present/future.
And those were just rumors.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
May or may not be good, but you have to keep in mind that Ubisoft also makes the Splinter Cell games which had some of the best multiplayer gameplay (both co-op and VS) you could find even though it was in an otherwise stealth based game. It's certainly too early to dump all over the idea given that sort of history.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
WTF! Back into Italy? It was great and fun but AGAIN!? Then what's gonna happen to Desmond? They just gonna end the third one with a cliff-hanger? They said it was going to be a trilogy, so making it in Italy eliminates a chance that we'll actually get a futuristic assassin experience... I supported AC1, then AC2, but if they just gonna make a sloppy end... I don't know, goddamnit... They better make it good!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I'm not too sure on a versus mode, unless its like the Chaos theory mercs vs agents then i can see a potential for awesomeness.

Co-op however would be wonderfully appreciated.

Jammerz

Nov 2, 2009
Woah, The Escapist is late that was announced 2 weeks ago, but anyway, this might be good but I'm not sure how you could do this

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
err ACIII is going to be another Ezio game? I thought it was suppose to be set in the future so we can finally find out WTF is going on with the story, don't get me wrong, love Ezio, much better then the first dude whose name I can't spell and I can't be bothered looking up right this second, and Desmond is just a lump, but I wanna know WTF is going on.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Crazycat690 said:
WTF! Back into Italy? It was great and fun but AGAIN!? Then what's gonna happen to Desmond? They just gonna end the third one with a cliff-hanger? They said it was going to be a trilogy, so making it in Italy eliminates a chance that we'll actually get a futuristic assassin experience... I supported AC1, then AC2, but if they just gonna make a sloppy end... I don't know, goddamnit... They better make it good!
It's not the third one. It's like an expansion to the second. The first game had one, but it only came out on PSP.

In fact, read the article guys, it announces 2 games. That one, and a third Assassins Creed.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
CD-R said:
From what I can tell this is a spin-off.

Different news outlets, slightly different story.

How the series has gone so far, and how the dev's talk about the series, it does seem that they want distinct and largely unexplored settings for each game.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
And they expect us to give a shit about this while they can't be assed to bring it out for everybody on time?

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Multiplayer would be interesting, a bunch of paranoid guys trying to figure out who's trying to stab them in the back

Phokal

Oct 12, 2009
I love AC. I bought AC2 at launch, knowing full well I could get it cheaper if I waited a few weeks (it was, or still is, now $40 on sale).

But perhaps I sent the wrong message with my dollar. I wanted to give them some extra money and popularity. I don't want them to screw up the series by pushing out a bunch of unpolished sequels.

Also, Italy is not the greatest setting. The last mission is spectacular, but AC2 was a success despite the settings, not because of it. AC1's knights were far more intimidating than any of the random Italians in tights you fought in AC2. The skyline was more interesting in AC1, and the sense of devastation from the Templars' Crusade was really felt; while in AC2 each town was unique but seemed to lack personality.

Combine this with the fact that...SPOILER....

Japan was hinted at in AC1. Imagine Desmond with Link's hook shot, with complex Japanese architecture (they could literally be puzzles designed to not be easily climbable). Think a cross between Tenchu and AC2. Believe it could happen.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I'm more upset at the fact that they're doing Italy again, isn't the whole point getting to do a bunch of colorful different time periods?