Anime Review: Kanon

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
To be completely honest, I disagree with almost everything you've said here. If it wasn't for the title, I'd have thought you were talking about a completely different anime. I haven't seen the English dubbed version, so that may be part of it. Then again, perhaps not.

I must be incredibly blind, because I didn't see any of the "blatant foreshadowing while introducing the cast". And perhaps I have incredibly bad taste in music because I found the soundtrack to be above average at the very least.

I also did not find that any of the characters became obnoxious, though I can understand why some might think so.

If by the end you're not quite fed up, it's likely you've got it bad for one of the countless moe traits and are beyond reason.
Does enjoying moe take one "beyond reason"? That seems very close to saying "if you don't agree with my opinion, there's no point arguing, because I'm right and therefore your arguments are invalid"

This entire review seems to be an elaborate troll. Please tell me that I'm wrong.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Seriously though, I haven't actually seen it. However, Key's three major works are typically considered to set the standard for anime dramas.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I would like to descend into the realm of tackiness for one moment and Link removed. -Mod
And considering what else I've heard of the anime, I suspect I'll have quite a few disagreements when I eventually watch it.

For me, it left the realm of cuteness and became annoying when one of the lead characters lost the ability to speak, allowing them only to unintelligibly whimper for what felt an excessively long period of time.
...I know what you're talking about. I'm just not sure how, considering that's part of the most heartbreaking twist in the entire show.

I'll admit that, having not seen the anime, I don't know how long they took to set this up. But still, if <url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA3AJkjeRpA>this (spoilerific) shot is any indication, they weren't far off from the result (other than being slightly friendlier about it, since unlike the game, she disappears into thin air).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
bladeofdarkness said:
couldn't disagree with this review more strongly
Much the same here...I thought it was really, really well handled in regards to the character arcs especilly.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Are you kidding? Kanon has many, many problems, faults, flaws, and generally crappy aspects, but you barely brought any of them up.

Hell, I remembered it as being good, but that was a few years ago - maybe I had poorer taste. Not the first time nostalgia has clouded my judgement. So I spent the last ten minutes raking through Google for reviews of Kanon '06, professional and amateur, and sure enough, none of them were this thoroughly negative. And, yeah, Higurashi was good, but a masterpiece? Yeah, if you get more reviews published, I'll be skipping them, thanks.

Also, the music? You hated the music? It's- ah, forget it.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
For me, it left the realm of cuteness and became annoying when one of the lead characters lost the ability to speak, allowing them only to unintelligibly whimper for what felt an excessively long period of time.
...I know what you're talking about. I'm just not sure how, considering that's part of the most heartbreaking twist in the entire show.
This. While I felt it was drawn out a little bit, it only served to make it even more heartrending. Especially when Makoto, who was at this point only able to say "Auuu" manages, with some encouragement, to say "Makoto" and "Yuichi".

Cucumber

Dec 9, 2008
That's a first one for me, someone not liking it at all. I know I liked it a lot, and you obviously didn't. Even though I disagree, it's nice that someone voices themselves negatively. Each man their own opinion, I guess.

Now excuse me, I have to go somewhere else and discharge myself of unfair anger :)

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I was actually going to mentione the earlier, better version, but you already did.

This anime is a lot better if you've played the game... or so I'm told. I wouldn't know. I haven't played the game.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I agree for the most part with the review. When something is trying to be something too obviously, it has the opposite effect on me. Kanon was one of those. Also the art really wasn't my thing, their faces look squished.
Any series focused on moe is trash to me. Enter K-ON.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Sigh... I loved the show. Not quite as much as Clannad, but still, it was amazing. And as for that character losing the ability to speak, you made it sound like some random annoying trait or something! It's an effect of a tragic transformation, and the inability to speak simply made it more heartbreaking...

I must say, I disagree with almost everything said in this review. And I like how almost everyone in the comments does too.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
HaraDaya said:
I agree for the most part with the review. When something is trying to be something too obviously, it has the opposite effect on me. Kanon was one of those. Also the art really wasn't my thing, their faces look squished.
Any series focused on moe is trash to me. Enter K-ON.
Aha, yeah, this is one of the things that I'm surprised wasn't brought up in the review. The character designs are garbage. I mean, Jesus, the eyes.

Mstrswrd said:
I was actually going to mentione the earlier, better version, but you already did.

This anime is a lot better if you've played the game... or so I'm told. I wouldn't know. I haven't played the game.
Earlier and better, you say? Interesting. The consensus as I understand it is that '02 version suffers from the restricted time required to fit the arcs into the lower number of episodes, and that one of the best things about the '06 remake is that it has more time to expand and improve on the characters. What do you prefer about the earlier version?

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
Why do you review an anime from 4 years ago.
And then, why do you compare it to the much more recent Clannad - people who watched Clannad probably did so becuase they already saw Kanon...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Laughable review at best. And if he is reviewing the recent version and thought it was too jumbled and short im curious what he would think about the original SHORTER series would have been like. "it's about adorable girls" ROFL cant believe this guy gets free anime for doing this job even when he has no idea what he is talking about. XD man would have been funny had he just come out and said this was a harem show. XD

Good job though trying to objectify something meant to be an emotional drama.

P.s. if you didn't shed a tear or two watching this series, you are a heartless monster! >.<
or don't watch anime and you just look at it.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Break said:
Mstrswrd said:

Earlier and better, you say? Interesting. The consensus as I understand it is that '02 version suffers from the restricted time required to fit the arcs into the lower number of episodes, and that one of the best things about the '06 remake is that it has more time to expand and improve on the characters. What do you prefer about the earlier version?
It felt more emotional than this one (not that the new one didn't feel emotional, but for some reason, the new one felt like it was trying to hard). It was somewhat restricted, but for what they had, they did (relatively) well. It was just good to watch at the time... which may very well be why it isn't as good now.

You know what? My original assesment of the first rendition of Kanon might just have been nostalgia talking. However, from what I remember, like I said, it was a purely enjoyable experience.

I really should play the game. Both series would probably be so much better.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
Someone said something bad about Kanon? On the Internet?! *Takes cover in internet backdraft shelter*

But in all seriousness, I've never actually seen the series. I've only heard the legions of fans go on about it.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
devilmore said:
Why do you review an anime from 4 years ago.
And then, why do you compare it to the much more recent Clannad - people who watched Clannad probably did so becuase they already saw Kanon...
I don't think he has a choice. I think The Escapist sends him an anime to review each week.