Alan Wake Not Coming to PC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Alan Wake Not Coming to PC

It's official, you won't be playing Alan Wake [http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B0010AYJXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279572914&sr=1-1] with a mouse and keyboard.

It's been a long time coming, but Remedy Entertainment's 'psychological action thriller' Alan Wake finally has a release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98262-Microsoft-X10-Alan-Wake-Fable-3-Halo-Reach-Release-Information] - May 18th - but sadly, only Xbox 360 owners are going to get to play it. Microsoft was keen to head off accusations that it was abandoning the PC, saying that the decision was all about making the game as good as it could be.

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "We ultimately realized that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive."

"Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform," they added.

It's hard not to feel a little sad - or a little angry - about this announcement, even if you have both systems. Personally, I first heard about this game in the PC gaming press all those years ago, and even though I have a 360 and can still play it, I can't help but be a little wistful about what might have been.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62356]

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I made a thread on this yesterday, but not tooo many would have seen it.
Still annoying though - such a lame excuse

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I think that making the game 360 exclusive will do two things.
1: Convince one or two big fans of the genre to pick up a 360
2: Turn the game into a massive financial flop.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Eh. Doesn't particularly affect me. I don't have a PC that can run it so I'd have got it on 360 regardless.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Well, I agree with him, but it'll still piss off a lot of pc fanboys supporters, although whether it will make it financially flop is another matter entirely.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Fantastic. My 360 died a few days ago, so I was hoping to get the PC version. Won't be able to now, crap.

Pocotron

Mar 16, 2009
What a crap excuse. I'd accept something like, "It's too difficult at this time to make it for the PC."

Not some half-assed, "Oh, lolz its better on teh console because you have a couch!"

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I actually don't mind that excuse. What they say does actually make sense and there are games out there that are better on one console than the other because of that reason.

But still, to draw it out for such a long time and then use it is still a bit of a dick move.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Didn't they work on the PC version since early 2005?
Ah, those sweet, sweet Microsoft dollars. They can buy anything! :S

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," said a Microsoft spokesperson.
I apologise for the language, but WHAT A LOAD OF WANK!

This release sounds like someone was desperately trying to think of a reason to not release on the PC other then the usual piracy.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Oh well, the 360 will finally have another exclusive, let's hope it's good.

Oh, and most PC gamers will certainly say "Oh, not on PC? Well fuck that game!!!" But secretly they wish they could play it.

It's really childish really, people who wish they could play an exclusive game that's not on their console bash it and pretend they don't care.

Apr 28, 2008
Is anyone really that suprised?

Their just trying to bolster their exclusives, especially with Sony's MAG, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3, MS was probably looking for something to get people to pay attention to them.

Ah well, this is why I own every consol and a sweet PC. Nothing is exclusive to me >:D

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
As a 360 owner I won't be buying it, it just doesn't grab me. I couldn't run it on my laptop anyway so its not an issues for me.

I can see a port happening at a later date.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Yeaah. I also forget that people use gamepads with PC games and use high-def TV screens as monitors...

greatgreybeast

Jul 9, 2008
Well crap, I was kindof looking forward to playing this. But I haven't got a 360, and I'm not buying one for one game.

Idiots. Matching a game to the right "platform" is worth nothing if its not matched to the right audience. Even among console gamers I'm sure this title would sell better on the PS3 than the 360.

CezarIgnat

Jul 5, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "We ultimately realized that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive."
I have a 5m HDMI cable with which I can I can connect my Laptop/PC to my 32inch HD-TV and I also have a PS3 controller with a long cable...so I can play any game from the comfort of my bed.

Now...what's the difference between this and a console >.>. They could just tell the truth that they are too lazy to make it for the PC instead of giving us bullshit.

EDIT:
Abedeus said:
Yeaah. I also forget that people use gamepads with PC games and use high-def TV screens as monitors...
What he said.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen,"
If you jumble some words you get "Piracy hurts sales so we couldn't be bothered to make it for PC.".

Oh well, like someone said on this thread "Microsoft dollars buys everything.".

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Meh. Wasn't ever all that interested in the first place. Seems like a terrible excuse though.