Zero Punctuation: Super Paper Mario

drunkymonkey

Dec 12, 2006
Beautiful, as always.

I'd just like to point our, however, that us North-Easterners are NOT boring. At best, we're Something Else.

Mashakosha

Sep 7, 2007
Actually, you did it the second easiest way. There is a way to get the 1,000,000 you need quicker by paying some people some money to get codes and secrets. Then you go through and find a cupboard full of rubees. A million of the blighters to be precise.

Aihal

Oct 18, 2007
15 minutes? Wasn't it more like 5, including the time stopping to check how much you've earned?

Spot on review apart from that: Paper Mario was definitely the best in the series, TTYD was too padded out for me.

Minor spoiler:

I wonder if some people never found the safe?

zerotrace

Oct 3, 2007
Another nice episode...And I don't really expect much from a Mario game these days, hell I'd think of buying a Wii if they got a new mascot perhaps.

Solid Snake or Sonic anyone?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I laughed so hard at that thing about the light and dark world...it seriously feels like it's been done to death.
I really need to make an article specifically about the number of games that waste the player's time...WHILE PLAYING.

SaraPh

Sep 6, 2007
Katana314 said:
I laughed so hard at that thing about the light and dark world...it seriously feels like it's been done to death.
I really need to make an article specifically about the number of games that waste the player's time...WHILE PLAYING.
This would be ironic since we would then be wasting our time not playing, reading about wasting our time while playing. (Not that reading what you wrote would necessarily be a waste of time for anyone other than me... damn people who don't have mile long to do lists.)

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Wow, for the first time I have to diverge with respect to Yahtzee.

He hates all JRPGs but two, I hate anything Mario but two.

There are quite a few good Final Fantasies out there, the Suikodens are good, the Valkyrie Profiles, the Parasite Eves, ... Oh well, good show anyway =).

Hengst2404

Aug 29, 2007
I just picked this game up last week with that Toys R US deal, but haven't cracked it open. I did finish the Thousand Year door and bought Paper Mario on the Virtual COnsole, at least I think I did. Was the original paper mario any good? How does it compare?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
SaraPh said:
Katana314 said:
This would be ironic since we would then be wasting our time not playing, reading about wasting our time while playing. (Not that reading what you wrote would necessarily be a waste of time for anyone other than me... damn people who don't have mile long to do lists.)
Your message was almost becoming too long, thus barely avoided the wast'o'time bar. :)

Vinanath Diesel

Oct 12, 2007
Yahtzee truly is a modern day verbatim master of the verboten review. Even his drunken utterances should be recorded by Ephors and handed down to us mere mortals as the wisdom an old video game god. Good show yahtzee!

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Good to see that Yahtzee and I are somewhat opposites when it comes to RPGs. Still another good review. I just hope he dosent get his hands on Odin Sphere.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
Nice man, good stuff. Haven't played the newest paper marios, I did like the other ones but they got BORING FAST. I think one issue with the games is that the stories, while silly and anarchistic... tend to lack tension. Also, it's true, turn-based combat in JRPGs sucks ass, but actually REAL turn based combat (I.E. XCom, Master of Magic, a million other games) is great.

Also I agree and would go one step further. Not only should they stop making paper marios, but they should stop making marios all together. Why is there automatically an assumption that more and more "mario games" and "zelda games" should keep being made? Come up with some NEW IP nintendo!

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Even if there was an easier way to get the money, I remember when I found out I had to do that shit even for a few minutes I wanted to strangle someone. I thought by now that such a thing would have been banned from all game design, but apparently no one over at Gamasutra has mentioned that in a design article.

Good review, though I think I'm getting used to them now as they don't make me laugh as often. The reference to Earthbound, however, was probably the highlight of my whole day as the game is absolutely fantastic.

While I find it amusing that Yahtzee is going to bash turn based RPG's, I have to pause and agree in the end because, while both are supposedly sacrificing gameplay for story, Adventure games, well, their story is good. Whereas JRPG's...well, you have to like anime, really. Though I do think Yahtzee should give the original FFTactics a go, as that game is so good that Square must've only approved it by accident.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Keith: Nintendo comes up with new IP quite frequently. See Pikmin, Elite Beat Agents, Doshin the Giant and all that training crap for a few examples from the past decade. Not all are readily accepted by the market.

Yahtzee: I was a little surprised that you didn't mention "flipping" as that was the game's primary hook. Looking back though it makes little difference. Flipping ended up being a way to force the player to return to the same place over again and lost any wow factor and just became annoying after the first few times.

Oct 24, 2007
Here's something interesting worth pointing out: The video starts off with "Il Canto degli Italiani", just a few days after Ferrari had captured the F1 Driver's Championship through Kimi Räikkönen.

Is Yahtzee a Ferrari fan, or is it coincidence?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
ccesarano said:
Though I do think Yahtzee should give the original FFTactics a go, as that game is so good that Square must've only approved it by accident.
I'd suggest the recent PSP remake over the original - while nearly identical functionally, the new translation is much better. It's nice to play a game occasionally where the plot and dialogue aren't written for 5th graders.