Editor's Note: The Spy Who Fragged Me

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Spy Who Fragged Me

This week's issue of The Escapist debriefs us on the subjects of spies and videogames and will self-destruct in five seconds.

Read Full Article

Apr 28, 2008
Ah, spies. There's nothing quite as satisfying as getting behind enemy lines, either posing as one of them or just being sneaky, learning their secrets, then betraying them in some amazingly awsome way. Preferably with an explosion.

However getting backstabbed by a spy is the most frustrating thing ever. Especially in TF2. The spies, or as I like to call them, complete assholes, is the class that I love to play as, and the class that I hate the most.

Kind of like a real spy. You love how awesome they are, but you hate them when they completely screw you over...

EDIT: Actually, I have an experience from Battlefield 2 I would like to share. The map was Strike at Karkand, I was on the MEC team. I was playing as the spec-ops class and at the beginning of the match I managed to sneak behind the front line, and basically camp at their main spawn. I didn't kill anyone though, I just informed the team commander what was coming. I would tell them what vehicles are on the way, when the enemy was gearing up for a push, ect. It was exhilarating. Sometimes when a tank or jeep would spawn I would sneak up to it, plant some C-4, and wait. Doing that I managed to sabotage any attack they made, and if I needed more C-4 I would have to kill someone, which was the hard part. But I managed to spy on their main spawn throughout the match and because of my actions they didn't even manage to capture a flag.

That was one of the best games of Battlefield 2 I played. And having a team that communicated and worked together definitely helped.

Just goes to show, get a team as large as 32 players working together and its like a well-oiled machine. And the oil is steroids.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
corroded said:
I totally read that signature at the bottom as "piss pots"

Oops.
Yeah. Funny. I've had this name for 35 years, dude. There isn't a single goddamn joke I haven't heard yet. Keep 'em coming. Seriously. It's a laugh riot.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
corroded said:
Russ Pitts said:
corroded said:
I totally read that signature at the bottom as "piss pots"

Oops.
Yeah. Funny. I've had this name for 35 years, dude. There isn't a single goddamn joke I haven't heard yet. Keep 'em coming. Seriously. It's a laugh riot.
No need to be so precious.
Choose your next words carefully, mate. Precious or no, you're talking to a moderator. ;)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
corroded said:
You do seem to be somewhat overreacting to the fact i can't actually read properly, apparently. And believe it or not, i wasn't taking the michael out of your name only inability.

Just as a fyi, sticking mate, dude, et al comes across as aggressive in this context given that i'm quite clearly not your mate, or dude. You might as well just replace it with 'dickhead' because that's what your tone implies.

But play the moderator card as is the norm in this place *sigh*
And having your sole comment being "tee hee, I misread your name as something stupid" isn't obnoxious and/or rude?

Trust me, a lifetime of stupid jokes about your name gets very, very old. "Hey, Susan, aren't you glad I didn't say isn't???" "Hey, it's Susan Ain't!" etc, etc, etc.

Back on topic, I think being a spy might be overrated. I mean, you don't get to tell anyone about what an awesome spy you are. Maybe you could set up an anonymous Twitter account: "Totally just stole blueprints for nanobots. Go me!"

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
corroded said:
You do seem to be somewhat overreacting to the fact i can't actually read properly, apparently. And believe it or not, i wasn't taking the michael out of your name only inability.

Just as a fyi, sticking mate, dude, et al comes across as aggressive in this context given that i'm quite clearly not your mate, or dude. You might as well just replace it with 'dickhead' because that's what your tone implies.

But play the moderator card as is the norm in this place *sigh*
Wrong answer.

Move along, people. Nothing more to see here.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Back on topic, I think being a spy might be overrated. I mean, you don't get to tell anyone about what an awesome spy you are. Maybe you could set up an anonymous Twitter account: "Totally just stole blueprints for nanobots. Go me!"
This is great, because just like any secret, you let them know you have a secret but don't actually tell them what it is. Woo for pissing people off!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I totally agree with spying being overrated. Take a look at more true to life spy movies like Munich or Syriana. Those guys are in loads of danger and grow to a point of nigh constant paranoia. Though spying in game is always kickass!

For the record I really like the "R" in your signature Mr. Pitts. For some reason it evokes a Walt Disney level of unique wonder. :)

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
or read books about spies written by spies its constant danger yet you dont know where that danger is coming from or when i couldn't see myself living that sort of life

however i do remember playing 007 the world is not enough on the Playstation and going from sneaking round the nuclear missile silo in disguise to a fire fight with Renard's men a couple of rooms over that was real fun now that i am looking at through nostalgia glasses

Freak Ache

Feb 24, 2010
Just to let you guys know, there is a thread on the Giant Bomb forums that is critical of your community, specifically referencing the elitism and ridiculous ban in this thread.
Congratulations.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/man-has-anyone-here-been-on-the-escapist-forums-lately/390720/?

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Freak Ache said:
Just to let you guys know, there is a thread on the Giant Bomb forums that is critical of your community, specifically referencing the elitism and ridiculous ban in this thread.
Congratulations.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/man-has-anyone-here-been-on-the-escapist-forums-lately/390720/?
"zomg let's rush over there and protest"?

Nah. He was warned twice, third time he got dropped. He was warned that he was dealing with a mod, and yet he still pushed it.

Though it is interesting to find out that this is the "Zero Punctuation website". There was me thinking that ZP was a feature on Escapist, and it turns out it was the other way around the whole time!

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
I don't really see the need for a ban on that, but maybe I'm missing something. Kinda seems like he hit a sore spot with the mod and got banned for it.

rpshort

Mar 31, 2010
I completely agree with you and registered for this forum simply to state that fact.

Any forum that has mods as immature as that is of questionable quality. and while i have a lot of respect for people that take the time to help out and BE a mod, such a hostile reaction on his part really seemed uncalled for.

A genuine mistake that he stated should not have been attacked in the way it was. It really wasn't a big deal and he seems like he shouldve been able to ignore it considering that the statement corroded made was not at all grounds for a ban. only after russ decided to provoke further response on the matter (which was completely unneccesary and unquestionably immature) was there the slightest bit of a problem. and quite frankly im more upset at the mod using profanity than some guy reading his fairly illegible signature wrong and being attacked for it by a mod with hurt feelings. c'mon man we learned to let stuff like that go in junior high... grow up.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Camembert said:
Yeah, great to know this place is run by such a disgusting bully.
Whilst 'disgusting bully' is probably over-the-top, I can't help but agree with your point.

Honestly, as proved by both the Giant Bomb thread and the fact that it looks incredibly petty and childish, it comes across terribly on The Escapist. Look, Russ, I see what you were trying to do, but you come across as hideously arrogant here. He had good arguements, spoke pleasantly to you, and then what?

Yeah, it comes across badly.