Curling 2010 Cashes In On Olympic Craze

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Curling 2010 Cashes In On Olympic Craze

Now that "throwing stones" is an instant craze due to the Olympic Games in Vancouver, Dadoo was able to quickly cash in with Curling 2010.

Industry newcomers dadoo games [http://www.dadoogames.com/curling2010/xbox360/index.php] have introduced their first title, Curling 2010, for download on Xbox Live Indie Games. The curling simulator allows you to play with friends over Xbox Live or connected locally, but you can also play against the AI with three levels of difficulty. Don't know what the heck this curling thing is all about? There's a complete tutorial on how the game is played and some of the important strategies. Curling 2010 offers tons of customization, including number of stones thrown per team, as well as a target competition and practice mode, where you can set up specific shots. Curling 2010 is available now for only 240 Microsoft points or $3.

Curling as a sport was first played in Scotland as early as the 15th century. It spread across the Atlantic with Scottish settlers, with the oldest club in North America, the Royal Montreal Curling Club, established in 1807. The gentlemanly turned-based game involves sliding polished granite stones across carefully-prepared ice, with teammates brushing the surface to increase distance or turning. The goal for a curling team is to have the most stones closest to the target after 16 stones have been thrown, and teams employ a combination of skill and strategy to make it happen. Curling has been an official Winter Olympic sport since 1998, although it was played at the 1924 games.

I've been watching curling at the Winter Games in Vancouver and I'm impressed with the healthy amount of strategy in the game. It's great to see a sport that emphasizes your brain just as much as your brawn.

Next up, Olympic StarCraft 2. It'll happen!

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I feel quite strange for being tempted to get this...

I do enjoy watching the curling since I think of Peggle whenever I watch it >.>

I can imagine it would be a short term game that would only last a few days or a week though.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I remember Scotland been absolutly epic at this game at one point in the Olympics.

It looks like Bowls on Ice...I would enjoy to play it sometime for sure!

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Abedeus said:
People take curling seriously as a sport nowadays?
Why wouldn't they? Its very strategic, you get good exercise from sweeping and its very fun. A person who claims curling isnt a real sport is a person who is ignorant and has clearly never tried it.

I curl 3-4 times a week and I love it, it is tons of fun and I work up a good sweat.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:
Why wouldn't they? Its very strategic, you get good exercise from sweeping and its very fun. A person who claims curling isnt a real sport is a person who is ignorant and has clearly never tried it.

I curl 3-4 times a week and I love it, it is tons of fun and I work up a good sweat.
Well then why isn't ping-pong an olympic sport?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I know someone whos' mother is in Curling.

That doesn't make me want this game, however. Looks pretty bori-Zzzzzzzzzz.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
You have to love the scots for their awesome drinking related games... Golf in the summer, and Curling for the winter, both of which should be enjoyed with liberal amounts of good beer!

Curling ranks in the top 2 sports I like to watch while really hung-over, right up there with F1

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Abedeus said:
We Canadians do...I think.
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I want a handball video game
That would be awesome, I miss grade school for that exact reason!

Curling to me looks pretty nice since its on every couple days on the TV upstairs. Plus curling is very high on my parents list of things to do so I know kind of whats going on in a game. But dont expect me to be outraged like the rest of my family at the result :p

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
s69-5 said:
Abedeus said:
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:

Well then why isn't ping-pong an olympic sport?
*Facepalm* Table Tennis is an Olympic Sport
Wow. Seriously?

I mean, wow. Table tennis and curling get medals and so on? Like.. I dunno, sports like ski-jumping?

dadooGames

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for the exposure. To be fair, this game was in the works for over a year and was actually meant to be released last fall. I'm definitely not trying to cash in on the Olympics, but the timing did work out fairly well.

Hope you guys check out the game!

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Abedeus said:
Wow. Seriously?

I mean, wow. Table tennis and curling get medals and so on? Like.. I dunno, sports like ski-jumping?
So is slacking, beard growing and figure skating.