Curling 2010 Cashes In On Olympic Craze

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Abedeus said:
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:
People take curling seriously as a sport nowadays?
Why wouldn't they? Its very strategic, you get good exercise from sweeping and its very fun. A person who claims curling isnt a real sport is a person who is ignorant and has clearly never tried it.

I curl 3-4 times a week and I love it, it is tons of fun and I work up a good sweat.
Well then why isn't ping-pong an olympic sport?
It is idiot.

You try playing both of those games at Olympic levels and tell me they aren't sports.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Abedeus said:
s69-5 said:
Abedeus said:
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:
Why wouldn't they? Its very strategic, you get good exercise from sweeping and its very fun. A person who claims curling isnt a real sport is a person who is ignorant and has clearly never tried it.

I curl 3-4 times a week and I love it, it is tons of fun and I work up a good sweat.
*Facepalm* Table Tennis is an Olympic Sport
Wow. Seriously?

I mean, wow. Table tennis and curling get medals and so on? Like.. I dunno, sports like ski-jumping?
Yeah, because any idiot can pick up a bat and a ball a do this...
Seriously, that takes a lot of quick reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination. Hell, I'd say it takes more skill than throwing a big stick [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw].

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:

It is idiot.

You try playing both of those games at Olympic levels and tell me they aren't sports.
On your profile, we can see:

Yeaah. That explains a lot.

Andronicus said:
Abedeus said:
s69-5 said:
Abedeus said:
Shapsters said:
Abedeus said:

*Facepalm* Table Tennis is an Olympic Sport
Wow. Seriously?

I mean, wow. Table tennis and curling get medals and so on? Like.. I dunno, sports like ski-jumping?
Yeah, because any idiot can pick up a bat and a ball a do this...
Seriously, that takes a lot of quick reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination. Hell, I'd say it takes more skill than throwing a big stick [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw].
You know that javelin throw has been an Olympic sport since... few hundred years? More specifically, since the Roman Empire. Table tennis has existed since 1800s... and only for 22 years as an olympic sport. Doesn't compare, really.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Abedeus said:
snip

You know that javelin throw has been an Olympic sport since... few hundred years? More specifically, since the Roman Empire. Table tennis has existed since 1800s... and only for 22 years as an olympic sport. Doesn't compare, really.
Actually, I was well aware of that fact. Not that I think it matters though. Just because a particular sport has been around for a long time certainly doesn't make it more "skillful" than another. The reason the javelin throw has been arounf for so long is because of it's roots in ancient warfare; obviously they weren't going to win many battles with a game of ping pong. I'm positive it was considered a skill to chop the heads off the bodies of the enemy during wars in ancient times. Surely that's a skill deserving of recognition. Should that be an Olympic sport too?

I'm not saying it doesn't take any skill to throw a javelin; to be sure, there's a lot of issues with balance, trajectory and such that the thrower has to take into account. But most of it comes down to strength, and I don't really consider physical strength to be "skill".

Taekwondo has been a medal sport for only 10 years. Does one, by your logic, therefore need less skill in Taekwondo than they do in Table Tennis? Less skill than throwing a javelin, or chopping off peoples heads?

I think it does compare, actually.