God of War III Goes Gold, Guzzles Gigabytes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
God of War III Goes Gold, Guzzles Gigabytes

Major PS3 exclusive God of War III [http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968473&sr=1-1] has wrapped up development, and it's a big game - filling up 35-to-40 GB of the Blu-Ray disc it comes on.

There's no doubt that Sony Santa Monica's God of War III is one of the most highly-anticipated games coming out for the PS3 this year - or indeed, since the system's launch - and this weekend, the game made it that much closer to its mid-March launch. Yep, you heard that right; God of War III has been completed, according to a tweet [http://twitter.com/ChristerEricson/status/9363497856] from Santa Monica's Christer Ericson: "God of War 3 has gone gold and is being manufactured! Wheee! #GoW3"

Sony Santa Monica's Director of Technology Tim Moss elaborated on the status of the game, saying - also via Twitter [http://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/9422071243] - that the finished title clocked in at a hefty 35 GB on the Blu-Ray disc: "#GOW3 35Gb of goodness. Thank heavens for Dual Layer Blu-Rays"

35 GB? That's pretty big! And apparently, says Moss [http://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/9433858491], the European version is even bigger. The copy of God of War III that ships to our friends across the Atlantic will take up a whopping 40 gigabytes of space on the Blu-Ray, mainly due to containing on-the-disc support for "9+ languages." Frankly, I'm not sure I can imagine Kratos speaking in French, but that may just be me.

There's no question that this is impressive, but I also have to wonder if maybe PS3 developers just get lazy when it comes to compressing data. "Nah, we've got all that space on the Blu-Ray, why bother?"

God of War III is out in North America on March 16th, and its 40 GB European brother will hit shelves on March 19th.

(Videogamer [http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/02/21/god-of-war-iii-utilises-35gb-of-blu-ray-space/])

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
That is something that made me Fangasm so hard.35Gb is just crazy...Just crazy enough to work.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Kewl! Giggling like a schoolgirl with anticipation!

John Funk said:
Frankly, I'm not sure I can imagine Kratos speaking in French, but that may just be me.
Yeah, no. You know what's funny though? I am Greek and actually CAN imagine Kratos speaking in Greek, but I bet it won't be in their language pack. Ok, maybe we are not such a big market, but dammit, it should have been there, if only for the sake of authenticity.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
John Funk said:
There's no question that this is impressive, but I also have to wonder if maybe PS3 developers just get lazy when it comes to compressing data. "Nah, we've got all that space on the Blu-Ray, why bother?"
It could also mean that the devs spend less time figuring out how to fit all that stuff onto a DVD and more time polishing the game. There's two sides to almost every issue.

I'm less interested in the size of the code, and more interested in how they utilized the code. Everything I've seen about it up to this point has been AWESOME! It's only 3 weeks until release now. :D

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
So if they're cutting back on the file compression, does this mean that load times will be generally better?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Proteus214 said:
So if they're cutting back on the file compression, does this mean that load times will be generally better?
Even if they weren't it would be safe to say if they took long enough there would be a data install.

OT: Good news that means no last minute delay (wasn't expecting one but glad to know it will not happen)

Looking forward to this.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
...and soon to come - the Xbox 360 port spread over 4-5 dvds!

35gb, is that a sign that they game is all flashiness without any substance? I've never played a GoW game, I've been meaning to pick up #1 for years but never got around to it.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Carnagath said:
Kewl! Giggling like a schoolgirl with anticipation!

John Funk said:
Frankly, I'm not sure I can imagine Kratos speaking in French, but that may just be me.
Yeah, no. You know what's funny though? I am Greek and actually CAN imagine Kratos speaking in Greek, but I bet it won't be in their language pack. Ok, maybe we are not such a big market, but dammit, it should have been there, if only for the sake of authenticity.
Lmao nice. Yes, I want to play the game in its authentic language now too. Damn you. English is just lame to me now.

irishdude

Feb 4, 2009
the_tramp said:

35gb, is that a sign that they game is all flashiness without any substance? I've never played a GoW game, I've been meaning to pick up #1 for years but never got around to it.
i hope your joking because sony makes god of war, so no 360 port.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
the_tramp said:

no game has more substance than God of War.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
More Kratos can never be a bad thing. Now I just have to talk myself out of ordering the Special Edition. Stupid Pandora's Box, why must you tempt me!

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
meganmeave said:
More Kratos can never be a bad thing. Now I just have to talk myself out of ordering the Special Edition. Stupid Pandora's Box, why must you tempt me!
I know your pain I have been looking at that special edition for so long I want but the price is so much I have been going back and forth on the decision since I first saw it.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Wow, 35 GB is pretty hefty. I hope it's because of the game's length and crazy graphics and not, as you suggested, just some lazy developers.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Hoping this means that this game will be unlike its predecessors and take more than 2 or 3 days to beat.