Satanic Themed Videogames on the Rise

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Satanic Themed Videogames on the Rise

As if all the sex, drugs and violence weren't enough, now we've got something even worse to worry about in our videogames: Satan!

That's right, Satan. Devil worship. I'm talking about Beelzebub, bub. He's in your videogames, and he's stealing the souls of your doodz.

"This has been going on for the last 10 years, but especially in the most recent games," Lance Christian, a self-described avid gamer, told The Bulletin [http://thebulletin.us/articles/2010/02/23/news/local_state/doc4b843eb43cdd8912981706.txt].

The most "egregious" Satanic games, according to the appropriately-named Christian, are Shadow Hearts [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecmo%27s_Deception], which is a bit of an odd list for "recent games" given that the newest of the bunch, Nocturne, was originally released in 2003.

Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970552&sr=1-1] also gets a mention for its depiction of "God going mad and cursing the world" despite the fact that the game has nothing whatsoever to do with the Christian religion: The god in question was the Maker and he wasn't mad, just really pissed off. Confusing things even more, Christian claimed, "A witch attacks believers and players can 'have sex' with her in a pagan ritual called 'blood magic'."

Predictably, Mass: We Pray [http://www.ea.com]" site, a "Number of the Beast" discount of $6.66 and a Super Bowl ad that promised, "Hell Awaits." Other games with "satanic themes" include Devil Summoner, Koudelka, Trapt, Bayonetta, Darksiders and Guitar Hero, presumably because of the presence of Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie James Dio and/or Bobby Kotick.

ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] ratings are of little help because they focus primarily on violence, sex, drug use and other potentially objectionable content, rather than spiritual beliefs. Eliot Mizrachi of the ESRB suggested that gamers with concerns over specific content could find more information on the board's website but as The Bulletin's crack team of reporters pointed out, "Few mentioned the overt satanic content of the games."

The number of games in which God is the enemy and Satan is the hero is growing, the report said, to the point that "even the most hardcore gamers are sounding the alarm." "This is just the tip of the iceberg in what I have discovered," Christian said. "I feel that the devil has a new tool to work with in this age of technology, and the majority of adults in a position of responsibility are left in the dark."

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/02/24/psa-beware-proliferation-satanic-themed-games]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Good. To me, the whole "video games are getting more satanic" thing is, by my interpetation, video games giving the middle finger to the various churches for claiming they're the works of the devil.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay. But would the Christian church complain if we made more games involving Pro-Islam messages instead of Pro-Satan?

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Yes how terrible that we're allowed to do our wicked desires like banging hot ladies and destroying entire cities while laughing like maniacs in the remaining inferno instead of doing so in real life.

Also, I like Lucifer/Satan/Beelzebub as a character in most movies / games. In Constantine, for example, he is quite hilarious.

And am I correct in assuming that the only people complaining are christians who already complain about EVERY SINGLE CONCIEVABLE THING that isn't stamped with "approved by God, Jesus and all his hairy friends"?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
This is just silly and abritraily pointless they're Video games as in they are not real? If you wann complain about people and Satan while having a Valid thought go to California and have a chat with Anton LaVey the high priest of the church of Satan.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Some of these (DA:O) are the usual people-pulling-bullshit-out-of-their-sunbrighted-arses, but I suppose with Dante's Inferno he has rather hit the nail on the head.

I propose a simple solution: If you don't like 'em, don't buy 'em.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
It's their fault for believing the whole red devil thing and the dude in the sky no one can see. To me it is nothing more than mythology, a figment of imagination.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
How come I get a feeling the religiosity movements catch wind of this people will start hearing sermons such as..."Thou shall not play video games!"

I'm all for it. Makes a change from zombies, Nazis, terrorists and space Nazis! Lol

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Game Dogs: Based on actual events

This is just one whinny journalist complaining. There is always people complaining about stupid stuff. Its interesting to hear sometimes, but this just sounds like yet another angry person yelling on the internet.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
Wait...I thought in most games dealing with Satan that you're fighting him, which I thought was supposed to be a good thing?

Ugh, it's people like these that give us Christians a bad name.

Everyone, as a fairly devout Catholic, let me be the first to say that I think video games dealing with Satan are quite fun.

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
tomtom94 said:
Some of these (DA:O) are the usual people-pulling-bullshit-out-of-their-sunbrighted-arses, but I suppose with Dante's Inferno he has rather hit the nail on the head.

But even in Dante's Inferno, your main objective was to redeem your love and then kick the Devil's ass.

Feb 13, 2008
Hehehehe. Aren't they cute when they're all annoyed?

Anyway, surely Satan is the great tempter? You know he'd be working for Acti/Blizzard where God would be at Atari.

Anyway, how do you get to become an "avid gamer"? Do you have to beat Peggle on Hard?

Aanorith

Mar 17, 2009
Ugh, people always need to complain about something. When is the whole "video games are destroying our youth" thing gonna blow over? There are quite a few other issues we sould focus on "with in this age of technology".

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I haven't seen many games where you work with Satan. Most seem to have you doing the opposite and kicking his ass. The others don't even seem to have anything to do with christianity except for having similar words like god. Why are witches supposedly inherently evil anyway?

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
presidentjlh said:
tomtom94 said:

But even in Dante's Inferno, your main objective was to redeem your love and then kick the Devil's ass.
The advertising campaign did rather focus on Hell and Satan rather than that though...

Zaer

Dec 13, 2009
Wait...I thought in most games dealing with Satan that you're fighting him, which I thought was supposed to be a good thing?

Ugh, it's people like these that give us Christians a bad name.

Everyone, as a fairly devout Catholic, let me be the first to say that I think video games dealing with Satan are quite fun.
This too. I'm a Christian myself, and I even -play- Dragon Age. I don't play Dante's Inferno, but that's only because I don't like the God of War style of gameplay, not that I think it's "evil." The premise actually did intrigue me.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Pifft! Let the devil try and take my soul, he'll have to fight Blizzard and Bungie for it and we all know that nothing has yet been able to take down wow or match the rampent fanboyism of halo.