Satanic Themed Videogames on the Rise

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
HAIL SATAN HAIL LUCIFER HAIL BAPHOMET HAIL BEELZEBUB.

And Cthulhu.

(Somewhere, a religious cleric is bursting into tears for no apparent reason.)

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Mornelithe said:
Well, considering Satan is a mythological figure associated with Abrahamic religions, this really only concerns them, doesn't it? And since they're on the decline in the world (due to a stunningly awesome image they've given themselves) I guess it's less and less of a concern as time goes by?
Yeah, only 3.something billion of them still around, while one of them is the fastest-growing in the world. Sure sounds like a decline to me... I mean, I would be thrilled if that were true, but it doesn't really seem to be.
Just as i said the other half of humanity doesn't even get asked.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
felixader said:
There is an easy axplanation why you only hear religious people complaining.

ATHEISTS DON'T GET ASKED.

And this is on nearly EVERY theme that is to debate.

If anything comes into disscussion everyone gets a voice based o his religion, but not the atheists.
Do you know why we atheists aren't asked? Because we don't form a large enough segment of the population

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
I can understand the guy being offended over that games doesn't portray/condone/rewards his points of view, but being offended over the theme or setting of said game is just silly.
It is like being offended over that the bible took place in the middle-east.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Dark Templar said:
I have to get back to you on this one, I have blood magic to practice.

Had no idea there was sex involved, I should pay more attention this time.
As laughable as that sounds, the fellow wasn't really all that off.

While 'romancing' Morrigan would just be sleeping with a witch, towards the very end of the game she offers male characters a dark compact that amounts to "sleep with her and she gets pregnant with a child who then somehow absorbs the soul of an arch-demon", allowing you to vanquish said arch-demon and not die in the process. I'm not sure that it falls under blood magic per se, but it's definitely not a chantry approved magical ritual, heh.

Ergo, you do have sex with her to perform a magic ritual.

For those leery of spoilers, let me just say that the seemingly crazy person is actually correct that there is a magic ritual in Dragon Age that involves sex with a witch.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
This is a rather ill-contrived argument; clutching at straws to make some feeble excuse to bash games.

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
If it wasn't for the Devil, religions would be out of business. And I have a hard time believing any business wants to work itself out of a job.

But I digress...

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Rainboq said:
felixader said:

If anything comes into disscussion everyone gets a voice based o his religion, but not the atheists.
Do you know why we atheists aren't asked? Because we don't form a large enough segment of the population
No, the reason atheist aren't quoted is because we are sensible people giving sensible ansaws. what journalists want is babbeling idiots and doomsayers. Post one extreme view across another extreme and call it journalism.

jobu59749

Aug 3, 2009
It's sad that historically, the puritans came here to escape persecution and worship god in whatever way they wanted and it seems we've fallen back to square one. The problem is there aren't any countries for us to alienate anymore so we have to deal with everyone persecuting everyone.
What games haven't revolved around some sort of aspect of "Satanism". If you go by uber christians and their beliefs....anything involving magic, mysticism, fantasy, etc. is a tool of the Dark Lord himself being used to lure young minds into the woes of his evil power. Essentially, everything that is out there except for what is in the Bible by their standards is evil incarnate. Yes, that means even the internet...."gasp".
Personally, if i'm to be judged for playing these evil games and sentenced to hell....I wanna know what circle...cuz games aren't any particular classification.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Dragon Age: Origins [http://dragonage.bioware.com] also gets a mention for its depiction of "God going mad and cursing the world" despite the fact that the game has nothing whatsoever to do with the Christian religion: The god in question was the Maker and he wasn't mad, just really pissed off. Confusing things even more, Christian claimed, "A witch attacks believers and players can 'have sex' with her in a pagan ritual called 'blood magic'."
Really, the story of how the Maker cast out the humans that entered his domain can be compared to all sorts of Old Testament stories, like Adam and Eve or the Tower of Babel.

The Darkspawn are the ones who have inherited the sins of those original transgressors, and your mission requires you to slay them and the dragon/devil/old god they worship. So you're basically fighting Satan and his minions.

Also, Morrigan despises actual Blood Magic, as that kind of magic is closely tied to demons. The sex thing is entirely unrelated to that.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
JeppeH said:
Rainboq said:
felixader said:

No, the reason atheist aren't quoted is because we are sensible people giving sensible ansaws. what journalists want is babbeling idiots and doomsayers. Post one extreme view across another extreme and call it journalism.
And I suddenly fell even sadder for the poor saps in the states, at least the CBC tends too stay away from such drivel....

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
That is wrong so many times per sentence, it pains to read.
and the majority of adults in a position of responsibility are left in the dark.
Oddly enough it's those same adults in a position of responsibility that are the main consumers of the product. How does that mesh with being in the dark?

Saul B

Feb 9, 2009
.....So by playing games we are being turned into devil worshippers?

BURN THE WITCH

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Shit, they are on to me. I better make a few games about ponies and pussycats to shake them off.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Dragon Age: Origins [http://dragonage.bioware.com] also gets a mention for its depiction of "God going mad and cursing the world" despite the fact that the game has nothing whatsoever to do with the Christian religion: The god in question was the Maker and he wasn't mad, just really pissed off. Confusing things even more, Christian claimed, "A witch attacks believers and players can 'have sex' with her in a pagan ritual called 'blood magic'."
Major research fail. It couldn't be more obvious that he's never actually played the game. And isn't it nice how he "forgets" that most of these games involve murdering Satan/the antichrist?