Nintendo Admits to Being Bad at Hardcore Games

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Nintendo Admits to Being Bad at Hardcore Games

Nintendo has long been criticized for lack of hardcore appeal, and it has finally just admitted what some have suspected - it's not very good at it.

"The fact of the matter is we know we create great content for younger consumers, we know we've got great content for more casual players, and we want fantastic content for that more active player who loves Metroid or Zelda but maybe also wants something like a BioShock 2 to play as well," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said. "And we also recognize that we don't create that type of content ourselves. We're not good at it and it's not a key focus area."

Fils-Aime said while hardcore appeal is neither Nintendo's primary focus nor skill, they do want to host titles that can appeal to the hardcore crowd, and rely on third-party developers to support that demographic. He also admitted courting the hardcore crowd has become much harder in recent years, and doesn't remain financially viable in some cases.

"I'm not sure how much was invested into a game like Dante's Inferno, or how much is invested into a game like BioShock 2, but if that sales level is the best that they will do in a particular month, and it'll fall off rapidly from there, then those games aren't going to pay off their investment."

On one hand I can see where Nintendo is coming from, developing for high-end systems is prohibitively expensive and looking back on its past titles, hardcore appeal has never really been its thing outside a few exclusive titles such as Zelda and Fire Emblem. But it would be nice to see Nintendo apply some of its trademark creativity to new, original titles meant for older and more mature audiences on occasion.

Source: <a href=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38035/Nintendo-Were-not-good-at-core-games?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2FoXMK+%28MCV%3A+games+industry+news%29>MCV

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
If Kirby isn't hardcore I don't want to know what is! Nintendo keeps making great games and I don't care how lighthearted they are.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
THey dont make hardcore games.

Look where nintendo is now, top sellers.

So.. is it a problem? I dont think so.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Twad said:
THey dont make hardcore games.

Look where nintendo is now, top sellers.

So.. is it a problem? I dont think so.
Not for them it isn't.

I'm sure a few gamers might have a problem with it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Yeah it's a real big shame they're bad at making games for people who had to invent demeaning labels just to feel good about themselves.

Well no it really isn't a shame because they're kicking ass without it.

EDIT: Also, since when in the blue hell is Metroid not hardcore? this is exactly the kind of problem I have with that stupid label.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Oh sorry Nintendo we realise that maybe the hardcore market is not profitable enough but maybe you should consider the fact that you are already swimming in money anyway. I mean for gods sake Nintendo stop being such a pussy "Booh hoo if we dont make enough money we wont be able to feed our families or finance our fourth yearly holiday pity us please!"
Fucking hell I am feeling angry for some reason today, maybe it's just the RAAAGE.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Well done Nintendo for admitting you have a problem.

Now we need Activison to admit it's a cashcow and for Atari to admit they have no idea whats going on anymore.

Calumon: I like their games, but Jack says thats the point. :( Am I a bad person?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Tenmar said:
I find it funny how Reggie actually says they don't develop hardcore games but at the same time Mr.MacKenzie here just mentioned some actual hardcore titles that are published by nintendo by developers they own.

I think if anything this is telling that hardcore is more of an image when a consumer and developer thinks of when they now hear the word hardcore.

So to my fellow Escapists, what would you say would be the criteria for "Hardcore"?

I would suggest that it is the graphics and atmosphere is the top criteria that can label a game as hardcore. I'd go a bit further by suggesting that on the average the graphics and atmosphere must be dark and realistic(as in human proportions and characters) and violent.

Difficulty is more of an afterthought and is adjustable to allow players to experience the game.
Personally I think labels like Hardcore and Casual need to die out right now especially if people can't agree on what makes a game as such. Although your ideas hold some merit the real problem is that people like to use the words to brand games that they think are beneath them as casual. This is something I've failed to understand because my first exposure to casual games were things like Peggle, so to me casual just seemed like a game you could play in the span of a lunch break. Apparently I must have had the wrong thought in mind according to popular usage now.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Before someone says ninty dont make hardcore games, go beat NSMB without dying. Then Super metroid. THEN say they're casual games.
Can't? ok then.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
At least it knows where it stands. Unlike the other consoles, who want to have their cake and eat it too.
Hey, pal, hate to break it to you, but the cake is a---*mmph!*

*sounds can be heard from the nearby alley as Gumshoe Heart of Darkness is beaten to death*

OT: And the world responded with a collective sigh of "Duh"s and "Meh"s.

Seriously, as Ace stated, so what? The only people this will affect are those who need to make these labels up to feel good about themselves. Now excuse me while I go play some more Pokemon.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
*Gasp* What suprising news! I never expected this /sarcasm

Really, I think we already know this...

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Does no one remember "Geist"? It was a game developed by Nintendo for the Gamecube in order to appeal to a more mature audience. It didn't do so well. It had an interesting premise though. The idea was you are a ghost who must scare your victims on a military base in order to possess them in order to infiltrate stop some evil plot army plot. I can't remember much else but it failed to wow critics and gamers alike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geist_%28video_game%29

Edit: It was published by Nintendo not developed.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
They make games that appeal to "hardcore" players
They just don't make "hardcore" games full of tits, blood & swearing

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
okay right first off im not a nintendo fanboy but i consider kirby a hardcore game as he canabalizes other people and uses their limbs just to rescue say sum strawberry shortcake, and kirby kicks ass so they at least make 1 good hardcore game

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, Problem is getting third parties to develop on the system...alot now dont see it as financially viablse in itself

I would love to see more hardcore games on the wii...but. I wont hold my breath

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I think this is an appropriate time to say

"O RLY?"

Seriously, you admit this now Nintendo? We all knew this about a year ago