Zombies Rally for Australian Gamer Rights

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Zombies Rally for Australian Gamer Rights

Australian gamers will lurch around Sydney, Australia's Hyde Park Fountain in support of R18+ games.

The fight for R18+ games in Australia has been long and bitter. To further the cause, gamers are uniting across Australia to dress up as zombies in an effort to both draw attention to the issue and, well, dress up as zombies.

The zombie walk, the second in a series, is boasting <a href=http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=276796249249&index=1>over 1,100 confirmed zombies, a huge increase from the 177 last November.

The walk is being put on by the group <a href=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149018692374>Aus Gamers United. "Right now, there is no R18+ rating for digital media in Australia, whatsoever. And anything that would otherwise qualify for such a rating is refused classification and denied release in this fine country of ours. This is a gross violation of civil liberties as adults, that we are refused a Mature rating for what is Mature content," the group states.

The zombie walk will take place March 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Whether this will serve to draw the proper attention to the cause remains to be seen, but hey, who's going to argue with zombies?

Source: <a href=http://www.computerworld.com.au/slideshow/339842/zombie_protestors_infest_sydney_support_violent_video_games/?image=1>Computer World

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I can spot a flaw in the plan.

Atkinsons doesnt have any brains to eat, it wont be effective.

But will be hilarious.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
That's really cool, too bad it's more than likely not going to change anything.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
I have to question how this will actually draw attention to the support of an 18+ rating.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
The lengths people will go to in order to get their views heard.
I wish the Australians good luck in their endeavours.

Dok Zombie

Apr 24, 2008
Good for them! This is a really cool, lighthearted to get your opinion across without having to resort to whiny letters or petitions.

I say good luck to you all, you shambling undead horde!

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
This is the first time I wish I live in Australia since i found out there's no 18+ Rating there!

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Guys... I sense a weakness...

Atkinson: "Yeah, I've had a change of heart, L4D2 is the most fun that a person can have with their clothes on"
Gamer zombies: "Graaaaaaaah"
Atkinson: "Coach! Zombies! *loads shotgun, kills half a dozen of them*"

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
This is just going to make it more difficult to get R18 games because now they think gamers are all retarded zombie fanatics.

When the next elections roll around they should vote and write letters to their representatives. The fact that you can sign up for military service at 17, work your ass off and hold the responsibility of your country and her assets across the globe
and yet- you cannot get an R18 game.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
I have to question how this will actually draw attention to the support of an 18+ rating.
Easily. You get 1100 zombies walking anywhere and people will ask questions. "Why are they doing this?", "What do they hope to achieve?", etc. This gets more and more people talking and then you have news sites and cable news networks covering these sort of events which gets ever more people talking and so on and so forth.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I just hope that no ones gets hurt. Someone might think about this the wrong way and bring a shotgun...

In otherwords: Good cause, bad concept...

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
as long as there isn't a hunter that jumps rochelle and get's arrested for homicide, it'll be awesome

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
SilverKyo said:
as long as there isn't a hunter that jumps rochelle and get's arrested for homicide, it'll be awesome
it it got Rochelle they would file it under "mercy killing". what a boring character