Warner Bros. Plans DC Superheroes as Harry Potter Replacement

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Warner Bros. Plans DC Superheroes as Harry Potter Replacement

Warner Bros. is banking on the DC Comics universe once the Harry Potter franchise leaves theaters.

It's an understatement to say that the Harry Potter [http://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Years-Giftset-Full-Screen/dp/B002Q4VPLG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278964760&sr=1-4] movies, six of which have already been released with a two-part final chapter still on the way, earn Warner Bros. an absurd amount of money. How will the company survive once its bespectacled source of cash flow can no longer sustain itself past the eighth movie? By relying on the vastness of the DC Comics universe, that's how.

Warner Bros. president Alan Horn confirmed at a presentation this week that the DC superheroes would basically be replacing Harry Potter in its "tent pole" release strategy, through which a few major releases are put out every year. Harry Potter has been a sure bet for this strategy, as the films resonate with magicians and non-magicians alike across the world. Warner needs a consistent stable of future sure bets, and it's planning to tap into the DC universe to do so.

According to Superman [http://www.collider.com/2010/03/18/warner-bros-is-going-to-use-dc-comics-superheroes-to-replace-the-harry-potter-franchise-as-their-tent-pole-releases/] reboot is on the fast-track, and a Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan is set for 2011. We'll supposedly be hearing more about The Flash soon.

The fact that Warner Bros. is being so bold as to call its future use of DC superheroes a replacement to Harry Potter should excite comics fans. With Batman, Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern already tied up, I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.

Source: Collider [http://www.collider.com/2010/03/18/warner-bros-is-going-to-use-dc-comics-superheroes-to-replace-the-harry-potter-franchise-as-their-tent-pole-releases/]

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Harry Potter is one money filled dead horse they're going to beat into a fine mist. I realize that comic book nostalgia translates into big money, but I think the whole genre is still too niche to bring in Harry Potter amounts of money.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
This is awesome news. As long as they don't use the same formula for each movie, just replacing the hero.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
I guess it depends just how grim gritty they intend to make it. For obvious reasons Batman aproach won't work for The Flash (or pretty much any other mainstream DC character that I know of/can think of at the moment) so they will have to come up with something new. But whatever they do I'll be the 1st one in line to give it a go, just to see how bad/awesome it is.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
if its like the incredibles yes... if its live action maybe... if its cartoony ehhhhh

ironically it was already cartoony

dirt_empire

Oct 19, 2008
DC has pretty much failed at making theater-released movies so far, and before anyone says something I mean in the past decade. The big successes being Watchmen and the 2 new Batman films. On the other hand most of their other media forms sell quite well.

Marvel seems to be leading the comic pack in movie terms. Hits like Iron Man, the NEW Incredible Hulk film, Fantastic Four, and the XMen series. My god, when they don't hit it out of the park they rectify the mistake within a few years.

Sep 14, 2009
Heppenfeph said:
This is awesome news. As long as they don't use the same formula for each movie, just replacing the hero.
this. im ready to put my massive shield up against the nerd rage i feel coming on but im so pumped to see some of these movies, as long as they are all unique to their character(s) im down for the movies to go and ill be first in line at the movies to see them, thats for sure

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.
I like what you did there. It's the Emperor's new visual effect!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
With rumors of an Avengers movie coming, It will be interesting to see if Warner Brothers will be releasing a Justice League or, Justice Friends movie to combat the upcoming Disn...I mean, Marvel Avenger's film

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I didn't know this until recently, but the Flash is god. I'm not exaggerating. If you go look him up on the DC wiki, he can pretty much do anything. The movie best be better than sex and not toned down to crap like they always have done.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
"Look, up in the sky! It's Superhooker!"

Because an invisible jet doesn't make the pilot invisible.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I've been looking forward to more DC adaptations, but I'm not too fond of the Warner Bros. studio for some reason. I'll give it a shot, though, and see how it works out. That said, I've been pleased with their distribution of the newest Batman films.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
There's so many great possible superhero movies in the DC universe. I mean, The Flash, Green Arrow and Black Canary, freakin' Wonder Woman, the list goes on.

I mean, hell, it's worked pretty well for Marvel.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Assuming the movies are good or by Michael Bay, yeah they'll probably sell like crazy. No more Ghost Riders, please.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Assuming the movies are good or by Michael Bay, yeah they'll probably sell like crazy. No more Ghost Riders, please.
Please god, not Micheal Bay. I'd like to keep the rest of my childhood intact.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
....With Batman, Superman, The Flash, and Green Lantern already tied up, I'm curious as to which additional heroes Warner will end up bringing to the big screen, though Wonder Woman is a fairly popular choice. I'm just not sure if the special effects technology is really there yet to create something as incredible as her invisible jet.
I know I wouldn't mind Wonder Woman tied up.

If they want this to work, they need to lay out a DC-movie bible beforehand. Nothing will screw this up more than to let every director and writer do their own thing and destroy any connectivity and continuity between all the heroes.
I just hope to all that is good they never ever bring in Mxzytplyk. [sub]I dare you to correct my spelling there. o.o[/sub]
Jiraiya72 said:
I didn't know this until recently, but the Flash is god. I'm not exaggerating. If you go look him up on the DC wiki, he can pretty much do anything. The movie best be better than sex and not toned down to crap like they always have done.
Like men don't already carry a stigma of being so quick at sex...

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about this. I love Batman, have a strange spot in the heart for Martian Manhunter, and loathe Superman. The PS2 game JLH made me love the Flash and Green Lantern combo, take interest in Wonder Woman, and... well... loathe Zatanna. I ponder if Warner will take that love, loathe, and interest from the game and put it in a ultimate JLH movie (like the eventual Avengers).