Miyamoto: Many People Are Scared of Gaming Technology

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Miyamoto: Many People Are Scared of Gaming Technology

Nintendo mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto thinks that many people are still intimidated by gaming technology when they really shouldn't be, and that developers need to help them overcome that fear.

Shigeru Miyamoto may not make as many games these days as he used to, but he is still arguably the industry's single most influential figure of all time - so when he says something, it's a good idea to listen. Speaking BAFTA Fellowship [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/shigeru-miyamoto-interview], the creator of Donkey Kong and Super Mario said that he felt he and other developers had a responsibility to educate people as to how beneficial gaming could actually be.

"The fact is many people are afraid or scared of gaming technology," said Miyamoto. "Actually it's very convenient, useful technology and as long as you can have some time to get accustomed there's nothing to be afraid of at all."

"So my responsibility here must be to try to let people understand how convenient and useful game technology is and try to remove hurdles so that even your grandpa and grandma are waiting to turn on the power switch of your console easily without hesitation."

This was the philosophy Nintendo had in mind when creating the Wii, and it's a philosophy that has been tremendously successful for the hardware manufacturer in terms of branching out and expanding its audience. The controller can be a complex, intimidating piece of technology, but almost everyone understands "swing your arm to swing the tennis racket." It's also a philosophy that Sony and Microsoft have picked up on with their Move and Natal motion control technologies, slated to debut later this year.

Though Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has previously pooh-poohed Microsoft and Sony's efforts as mere bandwagoning [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99197-Reggie-No-Reason-for-Wii-Owners-to-Get-PS3-Move], Miyamoto thinks that it validates the mindset that Nintendo had entering this hardware generation. "We feel it's an honor that some form of entertainment style we created is now going to be taken for granted thanks to the attitude taken by the other companies," he said.

"On the other hand, Nintendo is a company that is always striving to create something unique and unprecedented," he continued, not wanting to just give props to the competition. "And if we can do that, if we can establish to the world that videogames have such huge potential for daily life, the existence of games will be even more highly appreciated by the public."

Unfortunately, he also thinks that there is a way to go on that last part. "Very frankly speaking, I have to admit videogames still have some way to go in order to reach the level of movies when it comes to social acceptance by the general public. We still have to carry on making a great effort."

There's certainly no doubt that videogames are largely misunderstood by the vast majority of people who don't play them, but the presence of Wii and DS platforms in the hands and homes of people who would never have touched a game before is evidence that Miyamoto - and Nintendo - are on to something.

Motion control may get a bad rap from gamers who feel that it's nothing more than a gimmick - and let's face it, when it's shoehorned into games for the purpose of having motion control, it is - but I still can't help but feel it's a good thing. As used as gamers are to our traditional interfaces like controllers or the mouse-and-keyboard setup, it's because we've grown up with them and they're second nature to us. But for people who haven't grown up as gamers, they're horrendously intimidating.

But whereas the controller is intimidating, there is no interface more natural than the human hand; you point at something, and you select it. The technology might not be quite there yet, but whatever hardcore gamers might think and say, I can't help but feel that Miyamoto has a point: Helping people get over the intimidating controller and technology is a very, very good thing.

If you're interested in the full Miyamoto interview - and you should be, because it's really interesting to get a peak into the mind of the influential game designer - then schlep on over to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/shigeru-miyamoto-interview].

(Via GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/miyamoto-people-are-scared-of-gaming-technology])

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/sklathill/414932216/])

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
ITs true. When you mention gaming to some people they still dont see it as an acceptable thing, they see it as what children should do and adults should not.

I would love to see more awareness on it, making people understand is key

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, no kidding. Most "hardcore gamers" (lol) were pretty content to sit back and let the Wii take over motion controls. Now that Sony and Microsoft have theirs coming up, the response is what you can expect: lots of swearing, promises that they'll never buy it, and saying "it'll fail, don't worry."

In case you haven't noticed, that's the plot of most inspirational movies, where the protagonist has to fight against the public. SPOILER: He succeeds, and everyone ends up loving whatever he does.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Jaredin said:
ITs true. When you mention gaming to some people they still dont see it as an acceptable thing, they see it as what children should do and adults should not.

i see that being much less fear-driven, and more ignorance on their part. what people see as a childrens toy is completely different from fearing it for any reason, complexity alone. i've never met a person that has stayed away from gaming due to some "fear" of the technology.

honestly, in regards to the wii controller, i would imagine that it would be more of a turn off than the regular controller in terms of complexity. seems to me that the fun factor of actually moving around is what hooked most parents. this is, of course, just what i gathered from observations working at a game retailer, and i could very well be off the mark.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
uppitycracker said:
Jaredin said:

i see that being much less fear-driven, and more ignorance on their part. what people see as a childrens toy is completely different from fearing it for any reason, complexity alone. i've never met a person that has stayed away from gaming due to some "fear" of the technology.

honestly, in regards to the wii controller, i would imagine that it would be more of a turn off than the regular controller in terms of complexity. seems to me that the fun factor of actually moving around is what hooked most parents. this is, of course, just what i gathered from observations working at a game retailer, and i could very well be off the mark.
I can't see where you're coming from on this. Take Wii Sports golf vs, I don't know, Tiger Woods '0#. What motion could possibly be more intuitive than just swinging like you were swinging a golf club instead of hitting the buttons at the right time? One is something my dad can - and did - do, one is just ... not.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Gaming also requires more time and financial commitment than any other medium on the part of the consumer. So it's easy to exclude potential customers that may be intimidated in that respect.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
John Funk said:
uppitycracker said:
Jaredin said:

I can't see where you're coming from on this. Take Wii Sports golf vs, I don't know, Tiger Woods '0#. What motion could possibly be more intuitive than just swinging like you were swinging a golf club instead of hitting the buttons at the right time? One is something my dad can - and did - do, one is just ... not.
like i said, my logic could very well be flawed to hell here, but it just makes more sense to me for it to be easier with a controller. sure you just have to swing, but leading up i would think there's a bit of complication with what buttons you hit leading up to the swing. any positioning you might have to do, ect. not to mention the nunchuck attachment... i dunno tho, maybe i'm just crazy and used to a world with controllers.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I always believed Nintendo was performing an important service to the industry by making gaming so assessable... I just wish their 3rd party developers weren't so worthless.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I am surprised he didn't bash the competition for copying his motion controls. I would not be so forgiving. Miyamoto, you are truly a God amongst men.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Well this explains a lot. Did Miyamoto say he used to have a "friend" that was so scared of video game technology he released a console with shitty graphics when his competitors were releasing HD-capable consoles?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh great, time for another episode of Miyamoto says....

...And thus it must be true.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
As a matter of point he also used to say that Americans will buy any game as long as it looks good (paraphrasing), a remark he made referring to Donkey Kong Country. This was not his first time disparaging a group of peoples (specifically Americans), citing that American families were too unstable for the Wii Fit to be a success in this country. (I can cite sources on both if needed)

My point? While I respect Shigeru Miyamoto as a game designer and an inventive thinker, I wouldn't give a lot of credence to his assessments of any given demographic with regards to marketing or with gaming trends. The Wii Fit was a hit in the states, and despite our being drawn to flash, American gamers have proven that substance is still our flavor of choice.

I'm not sure what he was getting at here, but my 60+ year old mother isn't afraid to try new things (like a DS, and recently a computer), neither was my 88 year old grandmother before she died.

I also find it hypocritical that he'd point out that "videogames still have some way to go in order to reach the level of movies when it comes to social acceptance by the general public." when he shuns violence and sexuality in gaming, both of which are pretty readily accepted as a part of the movie industry. Maturity and immaturity have their place, I agree, but if he wants to liken his business with movies he should embrace both sides rather than deciding that all that's gaming should be G rated.

I honestly think he's a terrific game creator, one of the very best, but whenever he starts speaking his mind he sounds almost as daffy as Ken "The PS3 is too cheap at $600" Kutaragi.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
ark123 said:
Well this explains a lot. Did Miyamoto say he used to have a "friend" that was so scared of video game technology he released a console with shitty graphics when his competitors were releasing HD-capable consoles?
This was done purposely to keep the Wii affordable(not counting extra controllers.) How much was the 360 and PS3 at launch?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Towowo2 said:
ark123 said:
This was done purposely to keep the Wii affordable(not counting extra controllers.) How much was the 360 and PS3 at launch?
And yet, now PS3 owners have God of War 3 and you guys are stuck playing XXX Sports (swap in winter, mario, wii or similar).
I'd rather have an expensive videogame with good games than a bad cheap one.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
ark123 said:
Towowo2 said:
ark123 said:
And yet, now PS3 owners have God of War 3 and you guys are stuck playing XXX Sports (swap in winter, mario, wii or similar).
I'd rather have an expensive videogame with good games than a bad cheap one.
Way to miss the point entirely(Just because you can't find anything appealing to play on doesn't mean everyone else feels that way). I was talking from an economic standpoint. Sony chose to only use the newest most expensive technology and as a result suffered until it started dropping it's price.

Like most people I'd rather not need a second job to afford it's launch price of $600.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
I think he does have a point. A world in which games are still derided as just 'murder simulators' by the media (as anyone who looked at the escapist yesterday can testify, its still around and in maddening proportions) there are clearly some barriers to be broken down.

When the average gran, mum or dad can turn around to these spewers of hate and just say ''Well your'e talking tosh'' is the day I long for. Whatever gets us there, I'm a fan of and it appears Nintendo is leading the way.

Good on them. :)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
John Funk said:
As used as gamers are to our traditional interfaces like controllers or the mouse-and-keyboard setup, it's because we've grown up with them and they're second nature to us. But for people who haven't grown up as gamers, they're horrendously intimidating.

But whereas the controller is intimidating, there is no interface more natural than the human hand; you point at something, and you select it.

Objection!

Have you ever seen a non-gamer play an FPS game with a mouse and keyboard?

they may be utterly useless with the keyboard controls but anyone can MASTER the mouse aim like second nature, you know why? Because BILLIONS of people are familiar with how to use a mouse pointer to quickly aim at and "hit" an icon on a screen from their use of desktop computers.

Hell the mouse pointer has been around since the 1970's and is favoured the world over for ergonomic precision where it has remained virtually unmodified in that time except upgrading the track-ball to laser guidance BECAUSE IT NEEDS THAT MUCH PRECISION, WHOOOAAARRRRGG!!.

An example of its ease of use: My best friend's girlfriend who gets scared by PG-13 movies was able to shoot down zombies and even master the gravity gun in Half Life 2 on first attempt with ANY FPS game using MOUSE CONTROLS, though of course the problem was most of the time she stayed rooted in one spot as she couldn't find WASD. But then in weird co-operation her BF would do the walking, jumping, reloading and so on. Now THAT took coordination.

Gamepad... might as well have handed her an M16 and asked her to field strip it.

So granted, keyboard is one of the trickiest controller interface to get used to (though also most flexible in terms of numbers of available buttons), the most ideal interface is an airplane style joystck for the left hand and regular laser mouse for the right.

Wii-remote and PS-Move are not THAT intuitive unless you happen to target shoot with a pistol. I've shot air pistol and no, people's aim with an unsupported pointing device is far worse than a mouse, mainly because you lack any forearm support nor can you vary resistance with pressure, nor that "heel pivot" that people naturally do when using a mouse. Also, lift a mouse and instantly disengage so you can adjust your arm to a better position.

Put it this way, do you think ANY office environment is going to get rid of their USB mouse controls and switch to PS-move?!?! Except as a marketing stunt? I don't think so.

PS-Move is a step in the right direction but I really do wonder HOW LONG will it take for the big industry names to cotton on to this MASSIVE market of people who ALREADY are 'ace sharpshooters' from years of office work and browsing websites with A MOUSE!.

Flash games exploit mouse controls perfectly, and they are major competitors to consoles in terms of the market's time if not money.

Maybe PS-move and it's ilk will be the ice-breaker. Console FPS games in the past HAD to use gamepad controls, but couldn't implement mouse as well especially with online interaction = unfair advantage (REALLY unfair). But PS-Move at least gives some advantage, they might as well throw in mouse aim to these games as well and have interesting online rankings.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Towowo2 said:
ark123 said:
Trying to look past all the Wii hatred, yes, Nintendo was onto a win releasing the Wii at that price in 2006... but it isn't 2006 any more.

4 years later the Wii should have proportionally dropped in price only to spite far more "modest" processing power it is very close to the retail price of the much more advanced competitors... competitors that will soon be releasing their own innovative motion interface.

I would TOTALLY buy a Wii but the price is just not realistic for the relatively smaller line-up of games (still very good) and the lowER graphics.

I'm sorry, though you can't put a price on art and creativity, you CAN put a price on quality... and the relative quality and price don't match up with the Wii at the moment.

I have no problem with Nintendo wanting to live in 2005 in terms of graphics, but don't think I'm going to buy it like it is top of the line from 2010. Wii titles should be going for $40 or less and the console should sell for closer to $100... IF they are truly being competitive with the PS3 + 360 or are the Casual Gaming and Hardcore Gaming really different markets?