View From the Road: Cheaters Sometimes Win

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
View From the Road: Cheaters Sometimes Win

When does cheating the StarCraft II metagame become cheating the actual game?

Read Full Article

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I probably wouldn't care if someone pulled that on me. I don't consider myself the type to go easy on a handicapped opponent unless he explicitly asks me to. And if he doesn't but still whups me I consider it a lesson learned not to underestimate anyone.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Nah, that's not cheating. I don't believe anything my opponent says during a game. One player tried to trick me with a fake GG. He said GG as i was stomping through his main, and then tried to talk to me about different strats. All the while, he had a 2nd base, and was prepping a dropship attack. I wasn't amused.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I wouldn't call it cheating. Never underestimate your enemy. If after I made my forces I saw that the person was ill-equipped compared to me, I would only send some of my forces, while the others... did other stuff.

kungfuchknoodle

Apr 5, 2010
I think you might use the term "Gamesmanship" to describe this.

"Pushing the rules to the limit without getting caught, using whatever dubious methods possible to achieve the desired end." (Lumpkin, Stoll and Beller, 1994:92)

(Hooray for wikipedia)

Can't believe I actually used something from that damn Issues in Sports course... freakin filler class.

It's not really cheating, though it is definitely frowned upon. In actual sports it can be things like purposely fouling the other team to knock out an important player at the expense of having a mediocre one thrown out.

Which can lead to actual injuries.

Edit: Thats an extreme example, but the general definition would cover stuff like this.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Sun Tzu's the Art of War states that "ALL WAR IS DECEPTION"

if they believe u suck than thats their fault! :D

I go into every match as if im up against the best. So even when i stomp the guy i still stomp him proper and never let up on the heat. n00b or not you should always crush your enemy with unrelenting force.

Edit: What the guy above me said too :D

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
lol, i hate, this, the beta vids and commentaries, all the journalists and critics talking about the game

its like starcraft is just this awesome exclusive game that only a room full of people are allowed to play, sometimes people forget that not everyone got a key, you are talking about a game that 95% of starcraft fans havent even played

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
Your opponents failed to account for the possibility that you were screwing them over. It's their fault that they lost. Manipulating your opponent in this way is neither cheating, nor illegal, nor even bad.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
I probably wouldn't care if someone pulled that on me. I don't consider myself the type to go easy on a handicapped opponent unless he explicitly asks me to. And if he doesn't but still whups me I consider it a lesson learned not to underestimate anyone.
I pretty much play under the same rules, I will treat each opponent fair, and with the smae degree of respect I would another...

And, if they did try and trick me, well, then at the end of the day they are just making themself look back more than anything else

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Haha! I remember those!

I did that in a LAN party. We were playing Warcraft 3. I took a few glasses and they decided to let me live. It took me a little while, but they decided to fight between themselves. They destroyed one team with a rush. After that, the 2 big boys decided to fight between themselves for a goldmine.

While they were busy killing themselves, I hit one of them hard. The guy basicly had no troops except his 2nd hero. I finished him in a matter of seconds. The other guy was trying to rebuild his army.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
I've noticed this in myself when loading a match. If the loading screen suggests the opponent is Favoured to win, I go all out and can often pull off a surprisingly good match, even if I eventually lose. And if I am favoured to win, I tend to slack and can often be kicking myself when I watch the replay as I see the exact point where I should have won, and didn't. The loading screen plays a big part in my win/lose ratio really. I should stop looking at the damn thing.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TitsMcGee1804 said:
lol, i hate, this, the beta vids and commentaries, all the journalists and critics talking about the game

its like starcraft is just this awesome exclusive game that only a room full of people are allowed to play, sometimes people forget that not everyone got a key, you are talking about a game that 95% of starcraft fans havent even played
And believe me, it will make it all the sweeter when it does come out :)

Desworks said:
I've noticed this in myself when loading a match. If the loading screen suggests the opponent is Favoured to win, I go all out and can often pull off a surprisingly good match, even if I eventually lose. And if I am favoured to win, I tend to slack and can often be kicking myself when I watch the replay as I see the exact point where I should have won, and didn't. The loading screen plays a big part in my win/lose ratio really. I should stop looking at the damn thing.
This too. This happens to me *all the time.*

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:

Have you opted in? I signed up a week ago, it took them 2 days to send me a beta invite.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
It isnt cheating its just your enemy is to effected by outside events as i have learnt never understimate anyone.I judge player by watching what is going on the battlefield and 9/10 ignore what people are saying to me.Several times i have had "newbies" pull out really thought out and hardcore tatics.

One night i was so drunk i could hardly see the screen but had one of the best W/L ratios ever and i never told anybody i was drunk.As it seemed my drunken subconsicous got mixed with a pro rts player that night.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
It's a valid tactic. If you wanna win you can't afford to underestimate your opponent. Always be ruthless. Always be merciless. "It's a new player". Tough. Trial by fire. If people underestimate you they have only themselves to blame when they lose.

Is it cheap? It's arguable. But it's valid.