Heroes of Might and Magic Goes MMORPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Heroes of Might and Magic Goes MMORPG

One of the most well regarded strategy games of all time has been converted into an MMORPG.

Ubisoft and Chinese-based developer TQ Digital have announced the closed beta for upcoming MMORPG Heroes of Might and Magic Online, based on the classic turn-based strategy/RPG series of the same name. In contrast to World of Warcraft, which disposed of Warcraft's strategy-based play, Heroes of Might and Magic Online aims to remain faithful to the series' classic gameplay, with a 2.5D graphical style lifted from Heroes of Might and Magic V, but also with a splash of new elements.

Quite honestly, I'm a little confused as to how Heroes of Might and Magic Online will play out despite its descriptions. Heroes of Might and Magic Online will be a turn-based game and will still use a tactical grid for battles, but TQ Digital is calling it the "first persistent world turn-based strategy MMO." The game will offer "in excess of hundreds of unique campaigns, each with epic storylines and goals including 10 chapters of battlefield missions" and also "randomly generated combat maps."

Just like in other MMOGs, players can form guilds to strengthen their factions, and TQ is implementing a PK (player-killing) system that will include "Team PK and Extreme PK." From being a fan of the Heroes and Might and Magic strategy games, I'm unsure how a PK system would work for Heroes of Might and Magic Online, but I'm definitely intrigued.

Other aspects, from the spell-upgrading system to the Town Prestige system, where towns can be built up but also attacked and bought out, sound interesting too. Will players have a town that they hold for as long as they can in a persistent world, or are they held like they were in the series' past for only a one-map game?

Heroes of Might and Magic Online's closed beta will begin in May, and those interested can sign up on the game's official website [http://homm.91.com/index/]. I know I'm going to try to get in just to see how the game works.

diabloclown

Aug 19, 2009
Could be like King's Bounty where your avatar moves around the world map, but it switches to a hex grid battlefield when you go into battle. :)

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Aaand this doesn't interest me in the slightest.
I guess returning to 2D doesn't really seem like a great move.
Hashbrick said:
If it's anything like HoMM V it deserves nothing but the garbage can.
Care to elaborate?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Great, now I can suck online as well.
JourneyThroughHell said:
Hashbrick said:
Care to elaborate?
I too want to hear about this, as I loved HoMM V

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Then you get the griefers who will wait as long as possible before taking their turn in a battle.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
Hubilub said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Hashbrick said:
Care to elaborate?
What's there to elaborate it was a pile of garbage compared to the other games in the series. How any fan of the original series can love it is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat, because HoMM V sank mine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well heroes V kicked ass so Ill be keeping an eye on this

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hashbrick said:
Hubilub said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Hashbrick said:
Care to elaborate?
What's there to elaborate it was a pile of garbage compared to the other games in the series. How any fan of the original series can love it is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat, because HoMM V sank mine.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Heroes of Might and Magic IV? HoMM V = HoMM III + graphics + slight modifications. And since HoMM III = awesome to square.

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
Hubilub said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Hashbrick said:
Care to elaborate?
I must agree with Hashbrick. HoMM 3 was brilliant, HoMM 4 was... lacking in several things. HoMM 5 was abysmal.

But Dark Messiah was pretty decent.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
iam not getting it.. how can it work as a mmorpg?
what happens when you lose the battle and you have no towns? you lose and start over ...?
how could you gather resources when there's millions of people constantly taking over your mines?

and on the whole heroes V thing... i loved heroes 2 3 and 5 the most , #4 was my least fav

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Wow. I'm a bit skeptical about this, but color me interested!

Hashbrick said:
Hubilub said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Hashbrick said:
Care to elaborate?
I saw 5 as a return to form after 4. I certainly don't think 5 is the best, but it was a huge step in the right direction since 4 had made some very bad decisions. 5 was just a graphically updated but otherwise slightly worse version of 3, which was the best in the series.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
hopefully the implementation will be something along the lines of Shattered Galaxy, only turn based

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
FinalDream said:
Sounds interesting and...unnecessary
Yeah, just feels like something some did in the psare time because there were bored...

But, another MMO? /sigh

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
So... basically they are making another WoW? Whyyyyyyy? I mean: Nothing against HOMM, i like the games. But that is becasue of WHAT they are. If you make it a MMORPG it will be:

Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs vs. Undead and Demons with some Dragons as raidbosses. So basically: The world itself is pretty generic fantasy (Yeah i know the demons are aliens and there was high-tech in the past blabla).

This is wasted labour which could go into something innovative.