Enjoy Your First Look at Dr.Who Adventure Games

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Enjoy Your First Look at Dr.Who Adventure Games

Anyone who tuned in to this week's episode of Dr. Who got a sneak peek at Dr.Who Adventure Games and a world run by Daleks.

The first trailer for the Dr.Who Adventures Games premiered after "Victory of the Daleks," the latest episode of Dr. Who to run in the UK. The game takes place in war-torn London circa 1963, and the Daleks are in charge. As the Doctor, it's up to you and your companion, Amy Pond to ... fix things, I presume.

"There aren't 13 episodes of Doctor Who this year," explains Piers Wenger, Executive Producer of Doctor Who. "There are 17 - four of which are interactive. Everything you see and experience within the game is part of the Doctor Who universe: we'll be taking you to places you've only ever dreamed about seeing - including locations impossible to create on television."

The Doctor and Amy are voiced by the actual series actors, and whoever does the voice acting for the Daleks recreates the creepy monotone perfectly. There's still many questions left unanswered, however. Though the trailer isn't very forthcoming with gameplay - the most action packed scene shows the Doctor and Amy pushing a defunct car several feet - it still instills a sense of grand adventure. The preview seems to show that you can only play as the Doctor, but I wonder how much control you'll have over Amy. And will we be able to pilot the TARDIS?

Dr.Who Adventure Games will be a series of four "interactive episodes," which will be available on the PC and Mac; and best of all, it's free. You can download the first episode on May 6th at the BBC Dr.Who website. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw]

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/doctor-who-games-get-trailer-171415.phtml]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wow, that... that actually looks kind of good. I was expecting it to be like Monkey Island Original budget but... Wow.

Calumon: Oh and Jack, Delete your Internet History!

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Interesting, but probably won't be the best games in the world.

Oh and places impossible to create on tv? That sounds awesome.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I don't care what BBC's site says, those are not detailed environments.
Try comparing those to say... Assassin's Creed 2 or even Crysis, and you'll see what I mean.
And... this is definitely a Wii game, because the character models... I hate to throw a bone to Yahtzee here, but... the character models DO look like an episode of Reboot.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Try comparing those to say... Assassin's Creed 2 or even Crysis, and you'll see what I mean.
I love how you say "or even Crysis" like it doesn't look that good. Anyway, what were you expecting?

It's free.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Woodsey said:
TheDoctor455 said:
I love how you say "or even Crysis" like it doesn't look that good. Anyway, what were you expecting?

It's free.
Exactly. And honestly, so long as it doesn't completely suck, I'll still be thrilled.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
And... this is definitely a Wii game, because the character models... I hate to throw a bone to Yahtzee here, but... the character models DO look like an episode of Reboot.
I doubt the BBC have put much money into this, and they are giving them away for free so don't go expecting a AAA type quality!

However, I am looking forward to this very much and its nice for the BBC to even offer this type of entertainment!

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
"Witness the might of Daleks" isn't so hot a threat once they've been bitchslapped by the Doctor literally dozens of times.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Sweet we get to see Power Ranger Daleks again!

Looks awesome and it's free so nothing can go wrong!

Kapitan_Jack

Aug 13, 2009
Amarok: Well, last episode was probably the first time, when everything went exactly according to Dalek plan, so maybe these new Daleks will be something more than laughing stock...

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Woodsey said:
TheDoctor455 said:

It's free.
Exactly. And honestly, so long as it doesn't completely suck, I'll still be thrilled.

It was mostly a JOKE!

I don't usually give a shit about graphics. However, one graphical component that I usually care about are how good the character models are. This is because, with most video games, poor character modeling means poor character animation, and thus, poor facial animation (if there is any at all).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ill certainly be giving it a go. Albeit it for me to miss out on something Doctore Who releated! Hell, they might even be fun!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Amarok said:
"Witness the might of Daleks" isn't so hot a threat once they've been bitchslapped by the Doctor literally dozens of times.
I know right, as it was when they brought out the new daleks in this week's episode and they were all different colors I was like "Holy crap...the Daleks became Power Rangers! We're so fucked!"

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
I want this. Now. Now now now now.
Why don't I have it yet?!

Also, is this available for download outside the UK? It's being released after the US/Aus airing of Victory of the Daleks, but you never know with the BBC.