Sorcerer Supreme Could Star in Marvel's Next Movie

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sorcerer Supreme Could Star in Marvel's Next Movie

Stan Lee has hinted that Marvel's most magical mofo will be the star of an upcoming movie.

While it's currently rumored that the Flash will be the star of a new DC Comics superhero movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99248-Warner-Bros-Plans-DC-Superheroes-as-Harry-Potter-Replacement], Marvel's next big announcement could involve a master of the mystical arts. At this weekend's Wizard World Anaheim convention, Stan Lee made some strong statements implying that Doctor Strange will be coming to the big screen.

As reported by Avengers [http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=9294] movies known to be in the works.

Lee later said about the Doctor Strange movie: "I'd like to see a great movie come out of it. Doctor Strange is somewhat different from all the others. With the nightmares and the other conventions, it'll give them a chance to have some great special effects and a slightly different type of hero." Doctor Strange might not be as popular as Spider-Man or Batman, but a decent movie could come out of his adaptation. Would he be able to carry a blockbuster on his own though?

Source: io9 [http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=9294]

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
This isn't news, there has been an official page for Doctor Strange on IMDB since Thor and Captain America's pages went up, saying it was to come out sometime in 2012

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I've never really been a big fan of the mystical side of Marvel's stuff, but who knows... a Doctor Strange film could be a welcome change. Maybe an odd and slightly obscure choice but it could be interesting if done right...

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Yeah, I seem to remember reading a while ago that Guillermo Del Toro was really interested in working on this...

Pity that's not going to happen now.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Yes my god yes, another favorite of mine, (only beaten by my all time favorite Captain America of course), I just hope they cast him well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I love Doctor Strange, oh do I love him. I hope they will do his character justice... Liam Neeson has my vote.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Doctor Strange is one of my all time favorites, however I feel he's often not done justice or used as signifigantly as he should be. As far as him passing the mantle, we'll see if it lasts *shrugs*.

Truthfully, I think it would be interesting to see if they could link Doctor Strange into a "Defenders" recruitment from the beginning and then eventually wind up doing an "Avengers - Defenders War" movie. :p

That is one of the more classic storylines.

Generally speaking though the big problem with Doctor Strange generally tends to be that he's written out of a lot of the bigger events that are going on in The Marvel Universe and thus doesn't get to come out and do his thing all that often. Largely because if he was to get involved in a lot of the major events, those major events wouldn't happen on the same level and a lot of other heroes wouldn't get a chance to do their thing. Doctor Strange is arguably one of the most powerful characters Marvel has going, if not perhaps the consistantly most powerful when written properly as far as heroes go. I say this because strictly speaking the power he's hardwired into dwarfs the power cosmic (which I believe at one point was defined as a single aspect of the universal powers that are his to command) and as a result like Superman they always find some cheezy way to make it so he can't actually use what he's got, or is always off fighting in another dimension when the big stuff happens, or just happens to like be fighting a nearly omnipotent being on it's own plane (which he can do because technically he's supposed to occupy the same role for Earth, he is the Sorceror Supreme of Earth Dimension, and all of the energies of this dimension are basically his to command, and all of the major powers of this reality his to invoke and command).

Doctor Strange can ironically sort of be defined by the majorly powerful entities and villains he HASN'T fought because he would have make a joke out of them, and by having a rogues gallery that by the same token other heroes don't encounter because they would not only be out of context, but probably also wind up squashing most of the heroes. :p

Honestly though I'm not sure if Nightmare would be considered the quintessential Doctor Strange villain, while I believe Nightmare is older, I still tend to think of The Dread Dormamamu as his arch enemy. Mephisto used to be one of his classic enemies (though I dont think he started with Doctor Strange) but then again Mephisto seems to have run into just about everyone nowadays.

Oh and Liam Neison wouldn't make a good Doctor Strange, his accent doesn't really work for the role. The best actor for the role has arguably been tapped to play Iron Man already , and honestly I think they would need an unknown.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Is it me or did someone else misread that as Soccer Supreme?
No, I read it that too...but, intresting concept...I wouldnt mind seeing a movie with superhero magic in for once rather than fantasy magic

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
As long as they don't include the Voodoo Supreme, and Dormammu gets featured as he should(as opposed to how Galactus got twisted out), then count me in!
Phase_9 said:
This isn't news, there has been an official page for Doctor Strange on IMDB since Thor and Captain America's pages went up, saying it was to come out sometime in 2012
I have learned over time that IMDB is neither law nor bible. Many things that are just rumor get posted up on that site. But Doctor Strange was a member of the Avengers himself, so it should be no surprise.
Bend the forces of magic like Beckham! It has been the word that the Sorcerer Supreme calls his Eye of Agamotto, 'Wilson.'

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Fuck. Yes.

I'll be honest, I don't really read western comics in general, let alone Marvel, so all I really have to go by in a lot of cases is general concept...and I love Dr. Strange's. Definitely looking forward to this movie.

Therumancer said:
Honestly though I'm not sure if Nightmare would be considered the quintessential Doctor Strange villain, while I believe Nightmare is older, I still tend to think of The Dread Dormamamu as his arch enemy. Mephisto used to be one of his classic enemies (though I dont think he started with Doctor Strange) but then again Mephisto seems to have run into just about everyone nowadays.
How do you think Shuma-Gorath would work as a villain?

...I ask, because he's one of two Dr. Strange villains I know of. >_>

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
...maybe a bit, lol.

Sounds good though, only ever seen him for his random appearences in Fantastic 4 and Spider-man cartoons during the 90s, and I found him quite interesting... although had an odd fasion sence.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
"Dr." Strange, what is he a doctor of?!

Seriously, though, love the idea. He's a doctor AND a scorceror!

!!TSIGOLOTCORP A SI EGNARTS .RD

.noegrus a yllautca s'eh ,yakO

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would like to see a Sorcerer Supreme movie. With the right actors and with a good director they might be able to make it really good. In my opinion I think Gary Oldman would be a good pick for the character.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
Nope but I love your avatar so much..
That could be neat.. Never heard of him before

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Fappy said:
I love Doctor Strange, oh do I love him. I hope they will do his character justice... Liam Neeson has my vote.
Liam Neeson is Ras Al Ghul remember? Though that's a DC movie.

anyway, magic rocks, like The Prestige/Illusionist but with real magic Constantine style

gof22 said:
I would like to see a Sorcerer Supreme movie. With the right actors and with a good director they might be able to make it really good. In my opinion I think Gary Oldman would be a good pick for the character.
Gary Oldman is comissioner Gordon

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
There was a "Doctor Strange" TV movie a while back, and more recently, a direct-to-video animated feature.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Squee! I love Doctor Strange - he is my all time favorite! I'm so excited and hopeful that it'll be awesome!