Stolen Pixels #189: Eeevil!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Well, I know I wouldn't cry if they stopped releasing games for PC. I mean, the only reason I played ACII at all was... well, I had nothing better to do with my gamepad. Persona 4 is soon-to-be-finished, and I wouldn't have had games to play while laying down on the couch. Or in bed.

Still, Fable is Xbox-only now, GoW is Xbox-only now and I don't hear anyone complaining about it.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
Hahaha! Lovely!

The Overlord is back!

And I think Ubi's attempt is not ill-intentioned, but lacks in finesse... Anyone making a game is in their own right to try and protect its creation. Whether that's done at the expanse of honest players or not is a whole other debate, but they had the right to do what they've done.
Problem is, they should've done it right, too.

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
I think Ubi should just go fuck themselves.

Sorry, but apparently they don't understand rational arguments anymore. Or the shouts of thousands of australians unable to play the game they bought for weeks.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, with this online DRM starting to appear on consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100238-Capcom-Apologizes-for-Final-Fight-Double-Impact-DRM], I wonder how long it will take until all of games have to suffer through this. Sure you may say that it was just a special case, and that it would never work if implemented at large, but thats what a lot of people said about all the PC DRM. And with consoles becoming more like PC's, with updates, different models, able to surf the web, watch movies, ect. I wouldn't be suprised if it happened soon.

Good comic Shamus.

Abedeus said:
Still, Fable is Xbox-only now, GoW is Xbox-only now and I don't hear anyone complaining about it.
Well Fable and Gears of War aren't exactly favorites by everyone.

M4rsch

Feb 21, 2009
contect?

Also, it says 2009 BECAUSE SHAMUS SHAMELESSLY REUSED AN OLD COMIC STRIP.
Down with the oppressor I say!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
MaxChaos said:
Good comic, I like the sentiment behind it.

[sub]But why does it say 2009 at the bottom?[/sub]
Whoops. Because the last Overlord comic I made was in 2009, and I copy pasted the text box.

And I've done this twice in a row now.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Shamus Young said:
Whoops. Because the last Overlord comic I made was in 2009, and I copy pasted the text box.

And I've done this twice in a row now.
More like OverSIGHT.

Hohoho.

But yeah, keep up the good work!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Damn it Shamus, now I have to do a "PC gaming, happily changing since 1985" picture D:

Granted, it wouldn't be very ironic seeing as how that statement is true...

Damn it! I'm confused!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I actually think Ubi should just stop messing around and abandon the PC if they hate and distrust the userbase this much. What's the point in going to all the trouble of porting a game if you don't actually want people to play it?
Amen.

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be their long-term goal in the end, that they're deliberately selfdestroying their PC business in the hopes that their stockholders/board of directors/whatever will force them out, so they won't have to admit to being the first major publisher to drop the PC.

Feb 13, 2008
I think that's actually their business model. If they can "prove" that PC ports "don't work" and "there's not enough money" to "make a decent PC version" then "it's only financially viable" to "abandon the PC" "for the time being".

Never let it be said that they just didn't like the PC. They have REASONS.