Question of the Day, May 2, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, May 2, 2010

The Escapist's own Shamus Young asked a great question in this week's Experienced Points: If you had a friend "who was undecided on the issue of 'games as art,' what games would you have them play?" Well?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
It's a little game I invented called "Spot the Picasso!"

It involves googling "Picasso" and finding a painting he's made.

Totally art.

On a more serious note, I'd probably say Shadow of the Colossus.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Monster Hunter's environments surely can be considered art right? If so I'd say that. The game is a work of art to me.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I don't know what Jade Empire is but none of the others are what I would have considered "arty" games. I'm gonna go with Braid. But just to clarify, aren't "arty" games the games that are made primarily to be a piece of art?

Furburt said:
THE LONGEST JOURNEY!!

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

My favourite game ever made. Probably the only game that I've ever cried at.
Really? I massively enjoyed it but I don't even remember any sad moments, let alone something genuinely upsetting.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Okami. Everything about that game was beautiful, not just the art style.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Every game that can build up an believeable world with great atmosphere and story i.e the Shock games and Fallout.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Silent Hill 2 - wonderfully atmospheric, and one of my all-time favourite stories that I've ever encountered in any medium. It just has so much depth, and the symbolic nature of many of the enemies and environments make this game not only a joy to play, but also to contemplate and analyze.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Portal, just because of how awesome it was. The unique gameplay mechanic and witty dialogue would be among my top games if it didn't freeze so often on me.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
mirror's edge. It has a really cool style and its fairly low violence most of the time

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
TimeLord said:
reg42 said:
Probably Flower.
It's just so relaxing; I love it.
I still have yet to try Flower, is it really that good?
Um...It's tough to recommend, because it doesn't have a lot of actual gameplay features, and it's pretty short, but what it will do is give you an interesting piece of "interactive art" to play with, it'll relax you (provided you don't try get all the trophies), and it'll make you feel happy at the end.