Japan Building Berserk Killer Giant Robot

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Japan is building yet another life-sized giant robot, only this time it could very well go berserk and devour us all. Oh dear.

Japan is building yet another full-scale giant robot, but instead of being a Neon Genesis Evangelion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92322-Japan-Finishes-Life-Size-Gundam].

The statue - from the massive bust up - will be the centerpiece of a new attraction at Japan's Fuji-Q HighLand amusement park called "Evangelion: World - Life-Size EVA-01 Construction Project," and it will be open to the public on July 23rd. If you've ever seen the massively popular Evangelion, the aim is to recreate the famous scene where protagonist Shinji Ikari encounters the biomechanical creation for the first time.

In other news, we're now all totally screwed.

If you've been reading the news posts I write here for any decent length of time, you've probably noticed that there are a few things that I love - and one of those things is giant fighting mecha. For instance, my opinions on the life-sized RX-78-2 Gundam statue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99302-Japans-Life-Sized-Gundam-Returns-With-Active-Weaponry] pretty much boil down to "Hell yes!"

But this? This is different, because this is an Evangelion - and I don't care what they say about it just being from the "bust up." It's EVA-01; it doesn't need anything more than the bust to go berserk and eat us all. Hell, it doesn't even need a life-sized statue of a wimpy, emo teenage pilot to do that, either! It's a goddamn Eva unit, and it will kill us all before long. Just you wait.

According to ANN [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-12/life-size-evangelion-bust-built-at-foot-of-mt-fuji], the pavilion will also have a recreation of the EVA cockpit in which visitors can take pictures, a life-sized figure of the character Kaworu Nagisu to have creepy sexual tension with everybody who passes by, a museum and a gift shop. Of course there's a gift shop.

Presumably, the attraction will also feature actors dressed as visitors' fathers to coldly shun them and deny them the affection and approval they desperately seek.

On the plus side, while EVA-01 might go berserk and destroy the world by turning us all into Tang as we reform a singular, base human consciousness, at least the statue makes a good opportunity for some Evangelion jokes. Seriously guys, I got a million of 'em.

(Kotaku [http://210.168.18.10/])

lhin

Nov 18, 2009
meh.....if they made a life size giant rei, I would have been more psych.

Dec 14, 2009
We can control giant robots. Evas are completely different. I don't think we have anyone emo enough to control unit 01.

kamisama302

May 2, 2010
Why is Japan building these giant robot "models" ? I feel like there is something considerably more sinister going on, probably involving the souls of orphans (or, you know, their mothers)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'm waiting for the version where you actually get to sit in that giant silvery dildo that serves as a cockpit. I can almost hear the little kids now... "Daddy, why is my body turning into liquid...?"

pignoli

Oct 27, 2009
Another thing to go to Japan just to see.

And we're well ahead of schedule for 2014. Third impact here we come! Nice knowing you, world.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Goddamnit, we in the UK never build anything nearly as awesome. I'm still planning to ask my local council to build a giant replica doomsday weapon, I think it would bring lots of tourism in. Also, think of the badassness.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Another one!? Damn Japan, you guys always amaze me.

Hey US, you should do what their doing and build giant robots as well.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While we are on the subject....is Evangelion worth watching? I am a preety staunch hater of Super Robots in general (although there are exceptions), but I hear a lot of good things about Evangelion.

Anyone who can provide some insight?

pignoli

Oct 27, 2009
@Tom Phoenix: I'd say give it a look. Maybe try the new 'Rebuild of Evangelion' movies as they're supposed to be more intelligible. Whilst they're not exactly Gundams, Evangelion is much closer to the 'real robot' genre than any sort of 'super robot' show.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh god! I want so much! Thats complete Epicness!

Now, Ill be waiting for this to be complete for sure!

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
A live sized EVA-01? Jeez, that thing doesn't even need to come alive and destroy us all. The design of that thing is enough to inflict nightmares of children anywhere in the area.

Although I am curious... will they plug it in with a giant cable? Because that kind of detail would be awesome.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
John Funk said:

But this? This is different, because this is an Evangelion - and I don't care what they say about it just being from the "bust up." It's EVA-01; it doesn't need anything more than the bust to go berserk and eat us all. Hell, it doesn't even need a life-sized statue of a wimpy, emo teenage pilot to do that, either! It's a goddamn Eva unit, and it will kill us all before long. Just you wait.
Presumably, the attraction will also feature actors dressed as visitors' fathers to coldly shun them and deny them the affection and approval they desperately seek.

On the plus side, while EVA-01 might go berserk and destroy the world by turning us all into Tang as we reform a singular, base human consciousness, at least the statue makes a good opportunity for some Evangelion jokes. Seriously guys, I got a million of 'em.
You know, that sounds like a really cool amusement park. But there won't be any stupid comic-relief penguins around, will there? That little guy creeps me out...

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Ack! Soooo expensive to go see it IRL...
But where else will I get to experience being totally shunned by my father???
Oh, wait... anywhere in the world will do for that.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
I hope they don't run out of money and have to make the end of the attraction a load of nonsensical bullshit.

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
What'll they build next I wonder, the Lancelot, Gurren Lagann, they won't be happy until the entire Tokyo skyline is just giant robot statues. (At least I hope they'll just be statues)