Rumor: Gears 3 Could Have Dedicated Servers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Gears 3 Could Have Dedicated Servers

Rumor has it that, in an attempt to address problems that affected Gears of War 3 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69459].

The use of dedicated servers is an interesting hot spot in gaming today. Their infamous significantly-less-infamous removal from Rage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95584-No-Dedicated-Servers-for-Modern-Warfare-2-PC-Fans-Freak-Out] were two flash-points of controversy last year. Interestingly enough, while no less a PC-gaming luminary than John Carmack is stepping back from dedicated servers, one of the most prominent console deathmatch titles may be adding them: Gears of War 3.

CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246470] claims that it has learned that Gears of War developer Epic Games will be using dedicated servers in the next installment in the series. "[Epic] has made the move in an attempt to address online problems that affected the last game, including sluggish matchmaking and occasional lag," writes the UK-based gaming site.

Obviously, this is just a rumor - design mastermind Cliff Bleszinski told them pretty much exactly that - so I wouldn't go breaking out the bubbly for a "Yay, dedicated servers!" party just yet.

But if it were true, wouldn't that be strange? PC FPS titles move to matchmaking, while a major console shooter makes the switch to dedicated servers. What a crazy, topsy-turvy world that would be.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246470])

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
This would be a nice change of scenery. I couldn't stand Gears 2 multiplayer. I might have to switch back to my 360 for a while if this is true.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Played too many hours of Gears 1 and 2, almost never had any problems.
But dedicated servers are a good way to ensure top quality, as long as it doesn't get factored in the game's PRICETAG... :(

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wow, that ALMOST get's me interested, until I find out, that Epic doesn't want to give us PC games any love. "Hey let's Release Gears of War 1 on PC, which has no closure, and then not release any more for PC!"

Calumon: It's just standard now. : /

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
What exactly are dedicated servers?
You enter the multiplayer menu, search for servers and are presented with a list of servers (and their details such as number of players) to choose from.

In short: so much better than matchmaking it hurts.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Sluggish matchmaking - Yes.
Occasional Lag - Occassional? You have got to be kidding me, unless you were the host in that game, you had lag.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
Basically instead of where a player chooses a map, gamesetting, and such, where the matches ends when the host wants it to, dedicated servers are always on for certian maps with the players actually owning the servers. This makes it easier to protect from cheaters, lets the server host have a greater control of the content, and allows for Mods to be run smoothly.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well this sounds good.

When first release its online multiplayer was quite sluggish. But now its online is much better seeing as everyone moved on to other games. Annex is a blast to play.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
I thought gears 1 was dedicated servers, what form of online game tool thingy majig did gears 1 use?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well should improve the multiplayer some.

I welcome the change of pace

Apr 28, 2008
Would definitely eliminate host advantage.

scifidownbeat said:
Woodsey said:
scifidownbeat said:
You enter the multiplayer menu, search for servers and are presented with a list of servers (and their details such as number of players) to choose from.

In short: so much better than matchmaking it hurts.
That's what it is? I could totally go for that. It'd be great if you could have matchmaking and dedicated servers (i.e. quick match and optimatch from xbox live original games).
Indeed. And if your connection is slow, choose servers with high ping. That way you play with people who also have high ping and can play smoothly, instead of being lumped together with low ping people, causing epic lag.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
There are games that have made matchmaking tolerable.

Gears Of War and Gears 2 were not among them. Considering the shit sandwich that was Gears 2's online multi-player connectivity, I wouldn't be surprised if Epic caves and puts up some dedicated servers to keep the hordes of angry Gears fans from devouring them alive.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
gears without lag? Im not sure how to feel about that

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Strange? I'm not sure about strange.

Only a few PC franchises have gone to matchmaking recently. One doesn't need further discussion, Rage we don't even know what is going to happen or how and Left 4 Dead uses matchmaking within the structure of dedicated servers. I don't really see a tren away from dedicated servers on the PC.

But on consoles, that is interesting. EA have used dedicated servers for the Battlefield games since Modern Combat. Using servers eliminates most of the problems associated with console online gaming, without any real drawbacks. It would be interesting to say the least to see a general move towards servers within consoles.

As for matchmaking, it's good to see that becoming more universal. It makes games less intimidating to get into and it's certainly easier initally than staring down a big long list of servers. But it is a seperate thing from the whole servers issue. Matchmaking coming into PC gaming can only be a good thing, provided it follows the L4D model and allows modders to continue doing what they do. There's plenty of space for it to work withing the world of dedicated private servers.

As for peer to peer 'services' making a PC come back, I don't see it. We don't know what Carmack and Id are planning so that remains to be seen. I can't see many, or any, other developers looking at IWnet and seeing it as a workable model. If any release other than that had used it the system and game would have sunk without trace. Not everyone gets an unstoppable hype wave to ride.