Blizzard Forced to Censor StarCraft II

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Forced to Censor StarCraft II

The highly anticipated StarCraft II wasn't able to properly land on Korean soil without a few changes.

Korean website Fomos is reporting that slapped [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65548] with the equivalent of an "adults-only" rating in the region after Blizzard submitted the latest build last month.

The elevated rating came as a surprise to Blizzard as it was hoping for one that supported the game for ages 12 and over. This is the exact rating StarCraft II has now been given in South Korea, but only through censorship.

On May 11, Blizzard submitted a new version of StarCraft II to the Korean Game Ratings Board that changed the game's blood to black and excluded smoking and vulgarity scenes. Blizzard is happy with the age 12 rating, saying via a translation at TeamLiquid [http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119967&currentpage=21]: "Since Starcraft II was originally developed to be a game adolescents could enjoy, we're very pleased with the Game Rating Board's decision. ... In the remaining time until StarCraft II goes on sale, we'll do our best to continue to perfect the game so that even more fans can enjoy it."

While Blizzard is planning to release the newly censored version of StarCraft II to get the game in as many hands as possible, the company is still debating whether or not to release an uncensored version as well. If you ask me, I just think the new version will freak Korean kids out when they bleed a different color than Terran.

Note: This does not affect StarCraft II in other regions, such as the U.S.

Via: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179413]

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
There had better be an uncensored version still. I for one, am not 12, and so I would like the grit that always befit the Scarcraft series intact.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
That doesn't seem too bad. I doubt many hardcore fans will care too much about the blood or smoking as long as the game play is unchanged.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Really, what is so damn bad about the game that it gets Censored? Can someone tell me please?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Korea must be spending time with the Australian ratings board, well it was only a matter of time I suppose.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
That doesn't seem too bad. I doubt many hardcore fans will care too much about the blood or smoking as long as the game play is unchanged.
The hardcore fans are the ones that always insist on playing as the yellow team on most maps because of the tiny, tiny advantage in camouflage. So yes, they will not appreciate a darker, more opaque blood spray that might slightly obscure other, still living units near the recently deceased.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Really, is there that much blood and gore coming out for the game?

Sadly, I lacked the Desktop I wanted to play the Beta, so I ended up missing my chance, but really, was there that much?

Or is Kerrigan showing off more breasts now? @.@

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Really, what is so damn bad about the game that it gets Censored? Can someone tell me please?
It's not the game they intended it to be, although in this particular case no one seems to think it's terribly bad. I can agree.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Repeat after me....It is the job of parents to "protect children" not the government.
But when the parents fail, they blame the government, its a never ending circle, thats why the censor everything, Digimon, Pokemon, Starcraft, even Yu Gi Oh cards.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Brad Shepard said:
Games are still seen as "kids stuff" and therefore gets censored more heavily then other things?

People want the full experience?

IDK, Censorship is just a terrible thing to me.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Koreans want to be stupid, that's fine, but Blizzard better not be thinking of throwing that censored crap in the US.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The Hairminator said:
Brad Shepard said:
It's not the game they intended it to be, although in this particular case no one seems to think it's terribly bad. I can agree.
Basically, swearing and smoking got cut from the cut scenes and that old favourite, recolouring the blood, was used. Still feel the original rating was politically motivated, but whatever.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Ive been told/read that the slapping of the AO rating was part of a power struggle between Blizzard and the Korean gaming aficionados on the Pro Game scene. If I can find the link to the report Ill be happy to post it.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
DarkPanda XIII said:
I am playing the beta, and some of the death animations are pretty gory. My favorite example is the terran marine getting killed by a protoss zealot. There are several animations. One has the marine bisected vertically, with the two halves peeling apart like a banana. Another one is a lateral bisection. The torso falls off and legs stand there for a bit before falling over.

Now, you usually don't see this detail because the camera is zoomed out and you're too busy to notice, but it's there. When zoomed in all the way, it's something you'd expect in an M-rated game.

I don't know what the US rating will be, but an M is not unwarranted.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Ne1butme said:
DarkPanda XIII said:
I am playing the beta, and some of the death animations are pretty gory. My favorite example is the terran marine getting killed by a protoss zealot. There are several animations. One has the marine bisected vertically, with the two halves peeling apart like a banana. Another one is a lateral bisection. The torso falls off and legs stand there for a bit before falling over.

Now, you usually don't see this detail because the camera is zoomed out and you're too busy to notice, but it's there. When zoomed in all the way, it's something you'd expect in an M-rated game.

Ahh, okay, That works by me....wished for some Kerrigan titties ;.;

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Ne1butme said:
If Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcraft_2] is to be believed, Blizzard got away with a T in the US. No such luck in the rest of the world: Australia gave them an M and PEGI handed out a 16+.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Ne1butme said:
DarkPanda XIII said:

I like the burning animations the most. There is nothing more satisfying to do while playing Protoss then to see toasty roachies fall to your thermal lance.